Just saw this video of Android Lollipop. Is WP way behind?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
As I said before, I have no problem with Android as in the underlying OS but the UI is terribly inconsistent between the built in apps. If you understood why Microsoft used different text sizes then you might understand just how much more consistent WP actually is compared with Android. If you want examples then I can post them.

While previously Android apps could be inconsistent and follow whatever design language they wanted(good or bad), Material Design should in theory change that.

It's not only the huge font size but also the persistent titles or headers in apps like Facebook Messenger that take up a lot of space.

And you can't say Android L apps are inconsistent when only a handful of apps have been Android L optimised, and those that have been optimised are pretty consistent.

From Holo to Material: http://youtu.be/x5-ntYM_2UY

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
While previously Android apps could be inconsistent and follow whatever design language they wanted(good or bad), Material Design should in theory change that.

That is what I am hoping for. I don't really care about animations but I like things to be simple, uncluttered and consistent. I don't like it when Windows apps are not consistent either, for example Spotify for Windows Phone doesn't look like it was designed for Windows Phone.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Is it better than WP? No, as some have said and I agree with its a different approach to UI. Whether its better or not is definitely subjective. Features aside, the most impressive changes in L from KK are the fluid transitions, less process intensive architecture (from whats been highlighted) and improved battery life. I do wish there was a Dark Theme option similar to what WP offers, heres to hoping Android adds it after some complaints.

As I said before, I have no problem with Android as in the underlying OS but the UI is terribly inconsistent between the built in apps.

Dude, its a Developer Preview. I do not see inconsistency with the Google specific apps, the new Mail, Messanger, Google Now, Calender all follow a similar design. WP users experienced problems as well during the 8.1 preview, maybe not UI consistency differences but thats because the UI didnt change.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Please explain why? You're in denial if you think android l is some big leap over WP.
I have a Lumia 520, a Toshiba Encore, and a W8 laptop and a W10 Tech Preview laptop and until Windows fixes the app gap and gets on a quicker update cycle for hardware it has little to no chance to move off of its 3-4% market share. People are not going to switch to a platform where they have less apps than they had on Android or iOS. As for usability is a matter of taste (not fact) as to whether Windows Phone has a better UI than Android. Compared to the apps I use on a daily or weekly basis Windows phone has less than 20% of the apps I use and want. If they were up around 90% I could at least consider it. Also, MS is killing itself with carrier exclusives. If I want either of the new iPhones or any of the Android Flagships (LG G3, S5, HTC One (M8) it is just a question of which carrier I want to use my phone on. As for UI, I can make Android look like whatever I want it to and while I hate the carrier bloatware (Verizon is the worst) and would prefer to be able to uninstall it, being able to disable most of it gets it out of sight, out of mind except for some (< 1 GB) lost storage space because the app is still on the phone.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a Lumia 520, a Toshiba Encore, and a W8 laptop and a W10 Tech Preview laptop and until Windows fixes the app gap and gets on a quicker update cycle for hardware it has little to no chance to move off of its 3-4% market share. People are not going to switch to a platform where they have less apps than they had on Android or iOS. As for usability is a matter of taste (not fact) as to whether Windows Phone has a better UI than Android. Compared to the apps I use on a daily or weekly basis Windows phone has less than 20% of the apps I use and want. If they were up around 90% I could at least consider it. Also, MS is killing itself with carrier exclusives. If I want either of the new iPhones or any of the Android Flagships (LG G3, S5, HTC One (M8) it is just a question of which carrier I want to use my phone on. As for UI, I can make Android look like whatever I want it to and while I hate the carrier bloatware (Verizon is the worst) and would prefer to be able to uninstall it, being able to disable most of it gets it out of sight, out of mind except for some (< 1 GB) lost storage space because the app is still on the phone.
I disagree.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

Why are you replying to me? , that question was for the poster I wrote to. You wrote a lot of non-sense. I don't agree with that page you wrote.

aveese

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
i haven't used stock android...
i had note 2 exynos and currently have a note 10.1 2014 exynos
and a lumia 1520
touchwiz kitkat has so many features i would like to have in my 1520!!!
and yes wp is way behind...just hoping it will change in windows 10 and 1520
will still be supported by then

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
i haven't used stock android...
i had note 2 exynos and currently have a note 10.1 2014 exynos
and a lumia 1520
touchwiz kitkat has so many features i would like to have in my 1520!!!
and yes wp is way behind...just hoping it will change in windows 10 and 1520
will still be supported by then

You neglected to tell us what features, "wWP is way behind" on. I don't see way behind or behind at all.

aveese

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
toggles-maximum of five in android you can scroll through a lot;
dialer-no prediction;
network locking-i use this because of my poor connection;
choosing which apps to open which files-i wanna open a text file using bookviser;
mkv won't play even thru moliplayer;
pop up apps like a calculator;
floating windows-video player, music player;
multiwindow-this is 6 inches;
music player in notifications-i can use the volume up and down but it vanishes quickly;
cortana in my country;
tagalog swype-is it that difficult to add another dictionary?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I'll agree that they didn't copy wp, they copied ios (blatantly) but then ios copied the flat design aesthetic from wp...

You seriously need to read up on previous iterations of iOS and Android.

A lot of the colors you see on Android today originated from features in Custom ROMs and other OEM skins.

iOS 7 and Windows Phone play a very small role in inspiring Android L.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
You seriously need to read up on previous iterations of iOS and Android.

A lot of the colors you see on Android today originated from features in Custom ROMs and other OEM skins.

iOS 7 and Windows Phone play a very small role in inspiring Android L.
Source? WP launched in 2010, it was the only OS then that utilised a flat interface. IOS and android had skeumorphic icons with shadows and reflections. Even the android CEO criticised the WP flat interface back then. Now I see them copying it :D

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
toggles-maximum of five in android you can scroll through a lot;
dialer-no prediction;
network locking-i use this because of my poor connection;
choosing which apps to open which files-i wanna open a text file using bookviser;
mkv won't play even thru moliplayer;
pop up apps like a calculator;
floating windows-video player, music player;
multiwindow-this is 6 inches;
music player in notifications-i can use the volume up and down but it vanishes quickly;
cortana in my country;
tagalog swype-is it that difficult to add another dictionary?
Toggles- Right, but in android you have to push an extra button to view the toggles, as you can either see the toggles or the notifications but not both. WP has it simple, but I agree, they have to add more toggles.

Dialler-er, wouldn't it be more simple to tap the people tile and search for the contact? This is Just my opinion, tho.

Network locking-I think that depends upon your carrier providing this option. I would like to see it for unlocked phones tho. Anyway, isn't it your carrier at fault here for a poor connection?

You can select which app to open a file, WP presents this option. There's a file picker added since WP 8.1

Totally wrong. Moliplayer plays mkv files.

There is an app called multi window in
The store, you should check it out.

Hmm,I find using the volume button is more easy than swiping down for a music player, but again that is just me.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey this android L is more about cosmetic changes with few options like lock screen notification nd under hood changes nothing revolutionary.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Only gripe with wp is it does not lock 3G option.Because of this it locks to strongest signal that is why I get mostly 2g indoors.In that way my android is superior it locks 3 g instantly. This need to be rectified in GDR.

alex athanasopoulos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Seriously??? Wp are becoming better and better by the months. I wont argue some things are missing but i dont think that they are soo important. I'd like a better email and office app for my lumia and the resuming problem to be gone completely. Behind yes, but i would'nt say that Wp are way behind.

Android along with iOS are coping the modern (previously known as "metro") style. As flat and boring as they thought they are coping it in the OS and their services (see the gmail, unfortunately i have to use it as it's needed for my university). I'd say that i like it but i cant lie to myself. It may look more "polished" and a bit more minimalist but there is still that android feeling that makes it ugly for me. Wp and w8.1, the modern style are suitable for me.

I dont know if you have noticed but modern style is more and more used as interface to many more websites.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Then you must hate Windows 8 too.Compare to windows 7 ,it's ui is quite inconsistent.And W10 too because further change in UI

No I don't, you're talking about inconsistencies between versions. I'm talking about inconsistencies between apps on a single version which is not the same thing, interfaces can change between versions.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
While previously Android apps could be inconsistent and follow whatever design language they wanted(good or bad), Material Design should in theory change that. It's not only the huge font size but also the persistent titles or headers in apps like Facebook Messenger that take up a lot of space. And you can't say Android L apps are inconsistent when only a handful of apps have been Android L optimised, and those that have been optimised are pretty consistent. From Holo to Material: From Holo to Material - YouTube
I can only speak for the apps I've seen on Android 4.4 that got updated, I even mentioned the version I'm running further back in this thread. I'll post screenshots of the apps when I get home as that will help illustrate my point.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb