Just saw this video of Android Lollipop. Is WP way behind?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Source? WP launched in 2010, it was the only OS then that utilised a flat interface. IOS and android had skeumorphic icons with shadows and reflections. Even the android CEO criticised the WP flat interface back then. Now I see them copying it :D

iOS was indeed skeumorphic, Android was a balance. As far as shadows go, they are still present in Android L so I seriously do not understand your point.

The current Android 4.4 calculator(has been utilised for years, wasn't skeumorphic for as long as I can remember):

1414145952497.jpg

With Android L it has gotten more colorful, possibly added shadows and a whole new kind of "depth" with those 60 FPS animations:

1414145990042.jpg

That is still visually very different from the Windows Phone version, like most of Android L is.

And as far as your last point goes, no offence but it just goes to show your ignorance.

It wasn't the Android CEO that criticised Metro UI, it was Matias Duarte the lead designer that came up with HOLO and Material Design.

And if I'm not wrong Matias Duarte(the person that criticised Metro) was also the person that came up with card based multitasking, which WP had no problem copying either.

I don't have a huge problem with companies copying others, but I see very little in common with Material Design and Metro.

Material Design just seems way more fluid, animated, and more pleasing (IMO).

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Toggles- Right, but in android you have to push an extra button to view the toggles, as you can either see the toggles or the notifications but not both. WP has it simple, but I agree, they have to add more toggles.

Dialler-er, wouldn't it be more simple to tap the people tile and search for the contact? This is Just my opinion, tho.

Network locking-I think that depends upon your carrier providing this option. I would like to see it for unlocked phones tho. Anyway, isn't it your carrier at fault here for a poor connection?

You can select which app to open a file, WP presents this option. There's a file picker added since WP 8.1

Totally wrong. Moliplayer plays mkv files.

There is an app called multi window in
The store, you should check it out.

Hmm,I find using the volume button is more easy than swiping down for a music player, but again that is just me.

The iconic toggles you see in Windows Phone today we're introduced by Samsung a few years back, but let's put that behind us.

Anyways the best part about Android is how customisable it has always been, if you really hate pushing an extra button you can simply get power toggles in your notification center(via an app):

1414146967646.jpg

No offence at all but Windows Phone's implementation of notifications and power toggles is probably the poorest among most mainstream ones. You need to get more and better quality toggles for WP.

Moving on to the dialer, in all honesty the dialer on Windows Phone doesn't stand a chance against Android Lollipop(or even some previous versions).

Here is the KitKat one:

1414147243681.jpg

Windows Phone did have default app selection, maybe even in Windows Phone 8, but it doesn't come close to Android KitKat or Lollipop.

1414147732949.jpg
1414147750799.jpg
1414147763716.jpg
1414147775565.jpg
1414147787277.jpg

I'm not going to comment on music or cellular things, but I can confidently say that Android does at least one of these things better(but I don't want the post to be any longer).

But as far as a functionality standpoint has gone, Android has always maintained an upper hand over Windows Phone, Android Lollipop builds on that foundation and makes Android way more polished.

I can understand many of you being in denial, many of you have spent time and money on the WP platform and want to see it grow.

prothemanes

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Actually, For Non-US users of WP 8.1 like me, doesn't have real Cortana experience. I have to change my country and my phone language to US. So i can't use inner circle, quite hours and most important Cortana features in my mother language. I like my Lumia625 but let's face it, besides funny and well built Cortana is way behind this Google assistant. Of course this comment comes from non-US WP user. Also Android is more common, easy to customize and have better app market. So i beg to differ your opinion my friend. WP "may" ahead in US, but i'm afraid in Turkey :)

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Actually, For Non-US users of WP 8.1 like me, doesn't have real Cortana experience. I have to change my country and my phone language to US. So i can't use inner circle, quite hours and most important Cortana features in my mother language. I like my Lumia625 but let's face it, besides funny and well built Cortana is way behind this Google assistant. Of course this comment comes from non-US WP user. Also Android is more common, easy to customize and have better app market. So i beg to differ your opinion my friend. WP "may" ahead in US, but i'm afraid in Turkey :)

You can't blame WP for the lack of Cortana in your region, blame Microsoft's neglect of other regions when it comes to the backend Bing services. Look at how long it took them to roll Cortana out to the UK as an example.

Translating Cortana into another language isn't the problem, it's getting the backend in place in the different regions that takes time.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
The iconic toggles you see in Windows Phone today we're introduced by Samsung a few years back, but let's put that behind us.

Anyways the best part about Android is how customisable it has always been, if you really hate pushing an extra button you can simply get power toggles in your notification center(via an app):

View attachment 85537

No offence at all but Windows Phone's implementation of notifications and power toggles is probably the poorest among most mainstream ones. You need to get more and better quality toggles for WP.

Moving on to the dialer, in all honesty the dialer on Windows Phone doesn't stand a chance against Android Lollipop(or even some previous versions).

Here is the KitKat one:

View attachment 85539

Windows Phone did have default app selection, maybe even in Windows Phone 8, but it doesn't come close to Android KitKat or Lollipop.

View attachment 85543
View attachment 85544
View attachment 85545
View attachment 85546
View attachment 85547

I'm not going to comment on music or cellular things, but I can confidently say that Android does at least one of these things better(but I don't want the post to be any longer).

But as far as a functionality standpoint has gone, Android has always maintained an upper hand over Windows Phone, Android Lollipop builds on that foundation and makes Android way more polished.

I can understand many of you being in denial, many of you have spent time and money on the WP platform and want to see it grow.
Word of advice-buy a WP before arguing here.

You can get extra toggles on WP to through an app, it displays the toggles in the notification centre.

Don't like the dialler? Just use true dialler from true caller. It has way more functionality than the Android dialler.

I would advise you to first buy a WP and test out your own wrong statements, before posting them here. You may not like WP, but give credit where it is due.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Word of advice-buy a WP before arguing here.
You can get extra toggles on WP to through an app, it displays the toggles in the notification centre.

Don't like the dialler? Just use true dialler from true caller. It has way more functionality than the Android dialler.

I would advise you to first buy a WP and test out your own wrong statements, before posting them here. You may not like WP, but give credit where it is due.

Android still doesn't have colour profile for screens. Lol even the Lumia 520 has it.

The Windows Phone API doesn't let applications interact with system settings, like turning off WiFi and other settings. Even if you have an app that can give you "extra" toggles it will most likely redirect you to settings(or open an instance of the app). That still isn't as advanced as the way Android handles it.

Why would I use a 3rd party dialer when I can't even set it as default(last I checked)? But I was strictly comparing the stock dialers, if we're to bring 3rd partly alternatives I can guarantee Android will have equally good(if not marginally better) dialers.

Lastly I've seen how much WP users brag when they have one feature that others don't, but I'll just say this the Lumia 520 doesn't even have manual brightness. Fail. And there are phones out there with color profiles, many Sony and Samsung devices, and OnePlusOne as well.

I'll give credit where credit is due, there will definitely be things that Windows Phone does better than Android but as a whole Android is way more advanced, whether you like it or not.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
The Windows Phone API doesn't let applications interact with system settings, like turning off WiFi and other settings. Even if you have an app that can give you "extra" toggles it will most likely redirect you to settings(or open an instance of the app). That still isn't as advanced as the way Android handles it.

Why would I use a 3rd party dialer when I can't even set it as default(last I checked)? But I was strictly comparing the stock dialers, if we're to bring 3rd partly alternatives I can guarantee Android will have equally good(if not marginally better) dialers.

Lastly I've seen how much WP users brag when they have one feature that others don't, but I'll just say this the Lumia 520 doesn't even have manual brightness. Fail. And there are phones out there with color profiles, many Sony and Samsung devices, and OnePlusOne as well.

I'll give credit where credit is due, there will definitely be things that Windows Phone does better than Android but as a whole Android is way more advanced, whether you like it or not.

Really, give us all some examples then because all you've done is come in here from Android Central and spout hate. He's right, buy and use a Windows Phone before posting in here.

It's people like you that really pushed me away from Android in the first place, thanks for reminding me why I left the platform in the first place!!!!

Last edited:

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Just a warning that you guys need to stay focused and on topic. This shouldn't be a thread where people are challenging one another, but rather discussing the status of our favourite mobile phone OS.

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Well I see nothing wrong with what he's saying though - Android has always been an advanced OS...

WP is more into the simplicity and ease of use.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

That's just * YOUR* opinion.

Dis toy even read your statement? You have to open the application to dial a number. That's there purpose of a "dialler". Setting it as a default doesn't even make sense here.

You want to compare phones? I'm in. Most of the Android phones in the Lumia 520s price range and many of the mid range Android phones don't have ambient light sensors, which eliminates the need for * MANUAL* controls. Isn't that the point of a "smart" phone, to get your tasks reduced? And the highend devices like Samsung, nexus, etc don't have fm, an file manager, or colour profile. I've got 2 Samsung's at home, none of them have colour profile. I just checked my friends xperia t,c, they doesn't have it as well. Stop spreading false info.

I've seen many of the Android users doing it as well. By the way, you still can't move apps to sd in Android. Ultimate fail.

No OS here is advanced in any way, whether *you* like it or not. Each one has its own qualms/limitations. None is perfect. Face it instead of making grand statements.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
iOS was indeed skeumorphic, Android was a balance. As far as shadows go, they are still present in Android L so I seriously do not understand your point.

The current Android 4.4 calculator(has been utilised for years, wasn't skeumorphic for as long as I can remember):

View attachment 85535

With Android L it has gotten more colorful, possibly added shadows and a whole new kind of "depth" with those 60 FPS animations:

View attachment 85536

That is still visually very different from the Windows Phone version, like most of Android L is.

And as far as your last point goes, no offence but it just goes to show your ignorance.

It wasn't the Android CEO that criticised Metro UI, it was Matias Duarte the lead designer that came up with HOLO and Material Design.

And if I'm not wrong Matias Duarte(the person that criticised Metro) was also the person that came up with card based multitasking, which WP had no problem copying either.

I don't have a huge problem with companies copying others, but I see very little in common with Material Design and Metro.

Material Design just seems way more fluid, animated, and more pleasing (IMO).
And so WP was the first to *not* be skeumorphic. Thanks for proving my point yourself.

Wrong. The jelly bean calculator is skeumorphic. Atleast on my Samsung fame, which has not received any kit Kat or lollipop update. And you mean to imply that a single app isn't skeumorphic means that the while OS isn't? Just goes to show * your* ignorance.

Proof that he was the one that came up with the card based multi tasking?

I along with many others here only see your bland statements without any backed up proof.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
And so WP was the first to *not* be skeumorphic. Thanks for proving my point yourself.

Wrong. The jelly bean calculator is skeumorphic. Atleast on my Samsung fame, which has not received any kit Kat or lollipop update. And you mean to imply that a single app isn't skeumorphic means that the while OS isn't? Just goes to show * your* ignorance.

Proof that he was the one that came up with the card based multi tasking?

I along with many others here only see your bland statements without any backed up proof.

Exactly, I even asked for examples of where he gives credit to Microsoft and got nothing. I think he's just trolling.

The Android 4.4 Calculator IS indeed a skeumorphic design, it has clear definition of the buttons just like a real calculator.

The Lead Designer of the Holo and Material UIs, Matias Duarte, is the biggest hypocrite ever as he criticised the Metro/Modern UI and then used it as inspiration for the Material UI.

Not only that but the card based multitasking WP uses is closer in looks to iOS and both of those are closer to WebOS as well, than Android so no Microsoft didn't "copy" Android in that respect as the WP card based multitasking was around long before the version the Material UI uses.

Last edited:

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
The argument about what OSes copied from each other should be, in my opinion, reserved for a totally different thread because that is in itself a very detailed discussion.

What the OP said was whether WP was way behind Android Lollipop, and the simple answer to his question would be a: yes.

Why? Primarily because when you compare each and every aspect of Android Lollipop to that of Windows Phone, you'll see from the beginning to the end you'll often find better features on Android.

For example let's go onto the lock screen, you have detailed expandable notifications and access to a lot more power toggles, you also have the trusted devices and trusted face option to access the phone faster. You can also scrub music directly from the lock screen.

Windows Phone has very lackluster toggles, if you tap some of them it'll take you straight into settings instead of turning it on or off(like the WiFi toggle). And Android handles notifications better than Windows Phone as well(on the lock screen). Windows Phone also offers no lock screen shortcuts to a camera or dialer. No trusted face or any kind of biometrics either.

Moving onto the home screen, you'll have Google Now always a swipe away and you'll also have the ability to use "Ok Google" to summon it. Widgets will often be way more functional than live tiles.

Moving onto the notification centre and toggles, Android has expandable, interactive notifications that don't get in your way but let you easily reply. Android also offers better and more toggles.

Moving onto plain old functionality Android offers real time background video transcoding, launchers, custom(and functional) lock screens. With the amazing Android API you also have applications like Facebook Messenger with chatheads. You also have apps with floating windows(like Calculator++). You'll have better and faster multitasking, you'll also be able to uninstall an app directly from your recents. And a hell lot more.

Moving onto the settings, you'll find marginally better battery, data and WiFi statistics per application. You'll also find WiFi direct and the option to change your default messaging app or default launcher(or pretty much revert default everything). You can change your keyboard, you can change your animation settings.

And then you'll be in the camera, where Google has shown us that the Android L camera API allows for 8 Megapixel burst shots to be taken at least 30 FPS.

Then you move onto audio where Google also made significant improvements and we'll probably start to see real time karaoke apps very soon.

Google has also patterned up with Nvidia and we have 64 bit hardware and software support, console quality graphics on Android are now also a reality aided by the new OpenGL ES 3.1 and Nvidia Tegra K1.

Android also has better quality VPN support and also has out of the box encryption enabled.

And then if we we're to move onto apps and games, Android would still come out on top.

When someone asks you which is the most advanced mobile OS out there, unless you are a ******, most evidence would likely suggest Android being on top.

Windows Phone will be better in certain aspects, maybe in photography, or maybe the virtual assistant, but for the most part Android beats in other OS out there when weighing the pros and cons.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
The argument about what OSes copied from each other should be, in my opinion, reserved for a totally different thread because that is in itself a very detailed discussion.

What the OP said was whether WP was way behind Android Lollipop, and the simple answer to his question would be a: yes.

Why? Primarily because when you compare each and every aspect of Android Lollipop to that of Windows Phone, you'll see from the beginning to the end you'll often find better features on Android.

For example let's go onto the lock screen, you have detailed expandable notifications and access to a lot more power toggles, you also have the trusted devices and trusted face option to access the phone faster. You can also scrub music directly from the lock screen.

Windows Phone has very lackluster toggles, if you tap some of them it'll take you straight into settings instead of turning it on or off(like the WiFi toggle). And Android handles notifications better than Windows Phone as well(on the lock screen). Windows Phone also offers no lock screen shortcuts to a camera or dialer. No trusted face or any kind of biometrics either.

Moving onto the home screen, you'll have Google Now always a swipe away and you'll also have the ability to use "Ok Google" to summon it. Widgets will often be way more functional than live tiles.

Moving onto the notification centre and toggles, Android has expandable, interactive notifications that don't get in your way but let you easily reply. Android also offers better and more toggles.

Moving onto plain old functionality Android offers real time background video transcoding, launchers, custom(and functional) lock screens. With the amazing Android API you also have applications like Facebook Messenger with chatheads. You also have apps with floating windows(like Calculator++). You'll have better and faster multitasking, you'll also be able to uninstall an app directly from your recents. And a hell lot more.

Moving onto the settings, you'll find marginally better battery, data and WiFi statistics per application. You'll also find WiFi direct and the option to change your default messaging app or default launcher(or pretty much revert default everything). You can change your keyboard, you can change your animation settings.

And then you'll be in the camera, where Google has shown us that the Android L camera API allows for 8 Megapixel burst shots to be taken at least 30 FPS.

Then you move onto audio where Google also made significant improvements and we'll probably start to see real time karaoke apps very soon.

Google has also patterned up with Nvidia and we have 64 bit hardware and software support, console quality graphics on Android are now also a reality aided by the new OpenGL ES 3.1 and Nvidia Tegra K1.

Android also has better quality VPN support and also has out of the box encryption enabled.

And then if we we're to move onto apps and games, Android would still come out on top.

When someone asks you which is the most advanced mobile OS out there, unless you are a ******, most evidence would likely suggest Android being on top.

Windows Phone will be better in certain aspects, maybe in photography, or maybe the virtual assistant, but for the most part Android beats in other OS out there when weighing the pros and cons.

And what does that make you then?

primuxprimux

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Simply answer no ,, windows phones showing always graphics of reality ,,, not of just like animated ,, whenever I used a WP I feel a better graphics experience ,,, while Android always graphics like animated low class , never satisfy with contrast and purity and your problem with action center , then wait windows phones os solve all issue soon

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss