Just saw this video of Android Lollipop. Is WP way behind?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Nope. It was renamed Windows Phone with 6.5.x. The whole thing was rebranding. I was making custom roms then.

I don't think anyone is doubting that MS might have planned a rebranding, or that the leaked ROMs you acquired used the WP branding. I believe you.

It's the above quote that people disagree with. I believe you misspoke, when you said "It was renamed Windows Phone with 6.5.x.". It wasn't. A few leaked ROMs may have suggested that was in planning, but it never actually happened. It was always Windows Mobile 6.5.x and still is today. That is what we're objecting to.

Last edited:

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think anyone is doubting that MS might have planned a rebranding, and that the leaked ROMs you acquired used the WP branding. I believe you.

It's the above quote that people disagree with. I believe you misspoke, when you said "It was renamed Windows Phone with 6.5.x.". It wasn't. A few leaked ROMs may have suggested that was in planning, but it never actually happened. It was always Windows Mobile 6.5.x and still is today. That is what we're objecting to.

Exactly, this.

It doesn't matter what Microsoft was planning. It doesn't matter if they announced all over the world that they were going to rename Windows Mobile 6.5 to Windows Phone 6.5. It doesn't matter if you have leaked ROMs and screenshots that say "Windows Phone 6.5".

What matters is that they didn't do it; they didn't rename Windows Mobile 6.5 to Windows Phone. What matters is that the official ROMs and screenshots (not leaks) say "Windows Mobile 6.5". Oh, yeah, and this matters: Windows Mobile 6.5

portalfocus

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Is WP way behind? No. Does Android 5.0 have customisations beyond that which WP currently has? Yes. But simply being ultra configurable does not a great phone, make. Neither does having fancy transitions on tiny UI elements turn Android into some super advanced mobile platform. IMHO, WP excels far and above Android in part because it gets out of your way to enjoy the experience. The UI is still way more fluid, more integrated, more personal and no, I don't work for Microsoft.

I bought into the WP concept when it was officially announced way back in February 2010, having been completely disappointed with WM6.5.2. I love the Metro way of doing things. I love the deep use of beautiful typography rather than overuse of shiny bevels, gradients, textures, shadows. Android, if anything, is catching up with the modern UI language that Microsoft started way back with the Zune player. The technologies in lollipop are pretty much the same, with some incremental improvements in usability but more and more, I see the bombardment of endless settings everywhere as a hindrance, more than a help.

Sure, there are plenty of ways that WP can improve but eye-candy isn't one of them. Microsoft got that nailed from day one and everything since, makes using WP a pleasure and they've thankfully stuck to their guns and only improved in places where it has made sense.

For example, I feared that the addition of folders on the Start Screen would be a disaster and a clear break from the Live Tile experience. Microsoft completely blew me away. The combination of folders and Live Tiles just works and is a breath of fresh (again) against the static and rather PC-like folder implementation that Android employs. The Android UI is still trying to "add polish" as described in the video, meaning, it's been a complete mess to date and is now an afterthought.

I'm always asking my Android friends, does your phone *really* make you smile as you use it every day? Mine does.
This

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
oh the eternal stupid fan war

i watched the main video and just i find nothing interesting, the functions shown as pin a app and the notifications are not a new or interesting or useful thing, just Android look too kiddish , is not much new that have seen than transitions and effects of fading a la IOS style, now android copied to IOS and Windows Phone. Also i had 5 phones all entry level and mid entry level on Android running 2.2-2.3 4.0-4.2.2 and all them have glitches , from System not responding to extreme slow, in Chile the smartphones are not as cheap as in the United States so most people goes by entry level or mid level phones , what try to say is that Android for get smooth need an 16 core processor and 1Tera hertz of processor for run smooth, so just i still with windows phone . just wonder why android fans comes to here to cause arguments and either how come that people like that wants to push to people to have their own tastes and preferences.

lol, oh the irony

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Do you really want me to post the video comparing the One M8 for Windows and the One M8 for Android which shows that on identical hardware Windows Phone beats down Android not only in battery life but performance as well. Guess what, that test was also done without Android Lollipop?

Do you have some proof or just saying?
Can you provide source?
This is GSMArena battery test. They test battery on 50% brightness.
WP phone is 183 nits at 50% while M8 on android is 245 nits

gsmarena_001.jpggsmarena_002.jpg

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
For example, I feared that the addition of folders on the Start Screen would be a disaster and a clear break from the Live Tile experience. Microsoft completely blew me away. The combination of folders and Live Tiles just works and is a breath of fresh air (again) against the static and rather PC-like folder implementation that Android employs. The Android UI is still trying to "add polish" as described in the video, meaning, it's been a complete mess to date and is now an afterthought..

Seriously, if you were concerned the implementation of Folders with Live Tiles was gonna be a mess, but turned out OK and that blows you away...wow. If you're running a device with DP 8,1 for GDR1 with Live Tiles Folders, please try to have 5 on your start screen at once and check your battery life, when I had 3 folders on my L1020 my battery was only lasting 5-6 hours! As soon as i removed the live folders i went back to 20 hours. While it looks nice no doubt, kinks need to be worked out on devices its not optimized for. As for your bold statement, the UI may not be revolutionary but its definitely not a mess...the evolution of Android is making the UI much more smooth/faster than it was with KitKat, which is lighting fast and fluid already. WP could use more polish of its known, thats whats referred to as Windows 10.

satrus08

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Seriously, if you were concerned the implementation of Folders with Live Tiles was gonna be a mess, but turned out OK and that blows you away...wow. If you're running a device with DP 8,1 for GDR1 with Live Tiles Folders, please try to have 5 on your start screen at once and check your battery life, when I had 3 folders on my L1020 my battery was only lasting 5-6 hours! As soon as i removed the live folders i went back to 20 hours. While it looks nice no doubt, kinks need to be worked out on devices its not optimized for. As for your bold statement, the UI may not be revolutionary but its definitely not a mess...the evolution of Android is making the UI much more smooth/faster than it was with KitKat, which is lighting fast and fluid already. WP could use more polish of its known, thats whats referred to as Windows 10.

That's not because of the live folders but because of the live tiles in the folders. The battery life would be almost the same if you had all the same tiles out on the start screen instead of the folder.

But if you use medium or large sized folders, then battery life will be a bit less cause of the animation of showing the different live tiles of the tiles inside the folder.

If you use small sized folder, and small / no live tiles in the folders battery consumption will be almost the same

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone 8.1 is a whole lot less consistent to their original Metro UI design. To be completely honest, performing most actions takes more time in Windows Phone. There is no denying this. Couple this with slower loading times and inferior multitasking and you have yourselves a hot mess...
Not to mention 3rd party developer support, etc.

Frankly, a uniform UI would put Android further ahead than it already is. Going to take time for 3rd party developers to adopt this, whereas a large number of WP developers already conform to a greater extent!

Here's to hoping W10 improves usability and performance. W10 already has a better name.. Lollipop? Ehhh, no thx ;)

poken1151

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've not read the whole thread, but I will say my immediate answer has been "Yep". In all honesty, and I still feel a lot of love for the OS, but every other company keeps out MS-ing Microsoft. In terms of the promises.

I do believe the "Material" design from Google's nothing more than Metro grown up in lollipop land, but in truth the OS looks like a more colorful metro with shadows.

Continuity from Apple is the promise MS kept making between OS and devices. Right now we have synced settings, but they're ten paces ahead, easily.

As far as the OS's, go check how App Resume works on WP and regard the app differences between the OSs (that's my current pet peeve).

And a flurry of other items and features, on the surface (analog brightness control!? Forf shame). To deeper API integration (Why can't I just get a list of wifi places local?) and more and more. Could they implement all of this? Sure! No clue if it's attainable in the current market and how fast their going, but no. At the moment, they are "behind" in my personal opinion. And have been continuously a year behind on average since launch.

Personal opinion. I'd love to, as I always say, eat these words. But i don't see people falling in love with the OS as (visually) easily after viewing Lollipop on the N5, or iOS 8. Or, technically after coming from Android. Or app selection after either Android or iOS.

dezzilakk

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I've not read the whole thread, but I will say my immediate answer has been "Yep". In all honesty, and I still feel a lot of love for the OS, but every other company keeps out MS-ing Microsoft. In terms of the promises.

I do believe the "Material" design from Google's nothing more than Metro grown up in lollipop land, but in truth the OS looks like a more colorful metro with shadows.

Continuity from Apple is the promise MS kept making between OS and devices. Right now we have synced settings, but they're ten paces ahead, easily.

As far as the OS's, go check how App Resume works on WP and regard the app differences between the OSs (that's my current pet peeve).

And a flurry of other items and features, on the surface (analog brightness control!? Forf shame). To deeper API integration (Why can't I just get a list of wifi places local?) and more and more. Could they implement all of this? Sure! No clue if it's attainable in the current market and how fast their going, but no. At the moment, they are "behind" in my personal opinion. And have been continuously a year behind on average since launch.

Personal opinion. I'd love to, as I always say, eat these words. But i don't see people falling in love with the OS as (visually) easily after viewing Lollipop on the N5, or iOS 8. Or, technically after coming from Android. Or app selection after either Android or iOS.

How can one even come to this conclusion? They don't look alike, they don't perform the same way at all.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
How can one even come to this conclusion? They don't look alike, they don't perform the same way at all.

Exactly!

I mean this whole community can't even agree on how Material Design copies Metro UI.

Some of them say Google has removed shadows and made everything flat, some say Google has made it more colorful with shadows, etc etc.

Honestly speaking if you compare the Lollipop UI to Metro, and if you compare the Material Design applications(Play Newsstand, Chrome, Google+, Play Store) with the Bing alternatives you'll realise that they are so different.

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Exactly!

I mean this whole community can't even agree on how Material Design copies Metro UI.

Some of them say Google has removed shadows and made everything flat, some say Google has made it more colorful with shadows, etc etc.

Honestly speaking if you compare the Lollipop UI to Metro, and if you compare the Material Design applications(Play Newsstand, Chrome, Google+, Play Store) with the Bing alternatives you'll realise that they are so different.
So you came here to see what you want to hear?
Trying to be flat makes is it METRO.IMHO

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo