Just saw this video of Android Lollipop. Is WP way behind?

jailman

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Wp metro ui is better to me , apps like 6tag , metrotube , uc browser ui's are the reason why i love wp , if wp is behind ? Well its supposed to be because lollipop is way recent i suggest u wait for for windows 10

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
So you came here to see what you want to hear?
Trying to be flat makes is it METRO.IMHO

From what I've seen most of Android has always been flat, some skins may have been skeumorphic but Stock wasn't.

Android Lollipop is more inspired by HTC Sense(IMO) than it is from Metro UI.

Here's a small comparison between HTC Sense and Metro, the one on the left is a bit similar to how Material will be:

Wp metro ui is better to me , apps like 6tag , metrotube , uc browser ui's are the reason why i love wp , if wp is behind ? Well its supposed to be because lollipop is way recent i suggest u wait for for windows 10

Honestly speaking in terms of functionality Windows Phone has pretty much always been behind.

Talking visually some of the apps you've mentioned such as UC browser and 6tag seem(IMO) to be better designed on Android, but they aren't relevant here because of one thing:

They don't fully adhere to the Metro or Material design guidelines, thus any comparison in design is irrelevant here.

If you want to compare Metro UI to Material, you'll have better luck comparing stuff like the dialer, news app, messaging, email etc.

portalfocus

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Seriously, if you were concerned the implementation of Folders with Live Tiles was gonna be a mess, but turned out OK and that blows you away...wow. If you're running a device with DP 8,1 for GDR1 with Live Tiles Folders, please try to have 5 on your start screen at once and check your battery life, when I had 3 folders on my L1020 my battery was only lasting 5-6 hours! As soon as i removed the live folders i went back to 20 hours. While it looks nice no doubt, kinks need to be worked out on devices its not optimized for. As for your bold statement, the UI may not be revolutionary but its definitely not a mess...the evolution of Android is making the UI much more smooth/faster than it was with KitKat, which is lighting fast and fluid already. WP could use more polish of its known, thats whats referred to as Windows 10.

I have more than 7L Folder and the battery life is even better with them than w/out.

L720

haikallp

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
As an opener, I wish to say this..
Android Lollipop Material Design is far from Metro UI. It focuses on animations and is inspired by paper, with shadows and what not. Sure its not skeumorphic, but Android has never been skeumorphic. Holo wasn't skeumorphic either.

Now, back to the topic. Well I think Windows Phone 8.1 is behind Android 5.0 feature-wise. But to say its way behind is wrong. Some of you in the comment mentioned that Windows Phone has had this or that feature before Android 5.0. But you have to realize that as Android is open-source, some features are already available on OEM's android devices even before Stock Android has it. A good example would be battery saver mode. Samsung, HTC, Sony has had these since 2011 or 2012.

Whatever it is, Microsoft has a lot of work to do. In terms of back end software improvements and also marketing.

- from a former windows phone user

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I have 19 live folders on my 920's start screen with no performance issues. The folders themselves aren't a problem, it's the live tiles in them that can be an issue. Updates of live tiles are a hit on the system, and if they're in live folders that themselves have updating medium or large tiles, it makes them worse. Any folder that doesn't need to be animated should be a small tile. Any tile in a folder that doesn't need to be updated should be a small tile and/or have the live tile turned off. Live tiles are great, but with most current hardware you need to balance the value of the live tile against its hit on your phone's performance.

dezzilakk

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Exactly!

I mean this whole community can't even agree on how Material Design copies Metro UI.

Some of them say Google has removed shadows and made everything flat, some say Google has made it more colorful with shadows, etc etc.

Honestly speaking if you compare the Lollipop UI to Metro, and if you compare the Material Design applications(Play Newsstand, Chrome, Google+, Play Store) with the Bing alternatives you'll realise that they are so different.

Ditto.

And I thought the Crackberry forums were living in a delusion. WP is no longer about Metro design, as shown by the recent apps Microsoft made, and the updated Hubs from 8.0 to 8.1. Design isn't the focus on WP anymore, so what is it? What is it that makes it special and unique, now?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99