11-04-2014 11:05 AM
169 123 ...
tools
    Watch this:

So what do you guys think?
    wpfanboy17 and Muessig like this.
    10-22-2014 06:40 AM
    Was thinking to buy Nexus 6 :-), Microsoft not supporting well Lumia Devices.
    10-22-2014 07:02 AM
    Still nicks all your data so no.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk
    10-22-2014 07:20 AM
    I really don't like material design. It look so immature compared to metro design.
    By the way, the functions are very well planned.
    10-22-2014 07:39 AM
    Still gonna be bloated, too. Almost every Android I see in my store still comes bloated. Modding the OS itself is such bs. I won't buy android ever again because of that. Lollipop won't fix it.
    10-22-2014 08:00 AM
    I watched the video and I didn't see much at all that Windows Phone won't do. In fact, it looks like Android is playing catch up with WP by implementing things that WP already does. For example, notification settings. Everything shown in the video WP already does. Quiet hours, inner circle, choosing what apps can display notifications and how, etc.

So, no, WP isn't way behind and is ahead in a lot of areas.
    10-22-2014 08:17 AM
    Google's material design is definitely heavily inspired by metro. That doesn't make it good though. To me it still looks like a hodgepodge UI that was thrown together by too many designers who each felt their own design style is best, but style issues are obviously completely subjective. I also suspect this will improve over time. I do like the functionality it offers though. There are definitely some features in there that MS should copy. No doubt about it.

Admittedly though, we're getting farther and farther away from the basics. To most people, much of the demo shows just "nice to have" features few will ever use or even know about (people on sites like this are an exception of course).

Either way, until Google changes their business model, what Android offers is completely uninteresting to me. Apple iOS would bore me to death (well, actually not such much since iOS8), but I'd far prefer that over this data harvesting machine.
    10-22-2014 08:33 AM
    Still looks ugly.
    10-22-2014 08:47 AM
    I don't think anyone would argue that Lollipop isn't an improvement over previous versions of Android, but looking at most of those new features they're things WP has had for some time. In addition to that there's the fact (as has already been stated) that Android is just a data collection application for Google, which totally kills any interest I'd have in it even if it did have some cool feature either WP or iOS didn't have. Further... don't forget that you're looking at stock Android there. By the time the OEMs and carriers pack it with bloatware and hide it behind dreadful UI skins it won't look nearly as coherent or flow so smoothly.
    neo158 and diablozoll like this.
    10-22-2014 09:03 AM
    They made it clean and smooth, that's what I want in WP. Now they have it, plus their apps and functionality, I seriously think people will love it.
    wpfanboy17 and RobinPaul like this.
    10-22-2014 10:32 AM
    Google's material design is definitely heavily inspired by metro. That doesn't make it good though. To me it still looks like a hodgepodge UI that was thrown together by too many designers who each felt their own design style is best, but style issues are obviously completely subjective. I also suspect this will improve over time. I do like the functionality it offers though. There are definitely some features in there that MS should copy. No doubt about it.

Admittedly though, we're getting farther and farther away from the basics. To most people, much of the demo shows just "nice to have" features few will ever use or even know about (people on sites like this are an exception of course).

Either way, until Google changes their business model, what Android offers is completely uninteresting to me. Apple iOS would bore me to death (well, actually not such much since iOS8), but I'd far prefer that over this data harvesting machine.
    I have a Galaxy Nexus running CM11 and that has some apps that have the Material design and as far as I can tell it's just a reskin of Android like iOS7 was for iOS.

It has about three distinctly different versions of the material design, GMail and the Play Store have one design, Google Plus has another and Hangouts has another. It's an absolute mess and I don't see that changing in Lollypop.

The only consistent thing in the Android UI is the inconsistency!!!!

FYI, the GNex is an old device as my WP is now my daily driver.
    a5cent and L Beezy like this.
    10-22-2014 10:46 AM
    Way behind? No. We do things differently. But does this look cool, yes it does.
    10-22-2014 10:47 AM
    The only consistent thing in the Android UI is the inconsistency!!!!
    lol, well... that's a start I guess...
    neo158 likes this.
    10-22-2014 11:00 AM
    Way behind? No. We do things differently. But does this look cool, yes it does.
    At least WP keeps the UI elements consistent, unlike Android.
    Jazmac likes this.
    10-22-2014 11:01 AM
    People on this website are in denial, hard.
    10-22-2014 11:49 AM
    All I want is fast app resuming in WPs like the android phones! Thats the only thing I fancy about android phones - faster multitasking!
    gerzhwin, zapppa83 and daddymanAZ like this.
    10-22-2014 12:01 PM
    Why are we the ones in denial, most of the stuff in the video is on WP already.
    10-22-2014 01:04 PM
    So... this is the best Google has to offer on the UI???

Hilarious!!!! Windows Phone is so far ahead of the competion on the UI, it is unbelievable. Looks like MS got it right from the start.
    Round of applause for MS please!!!!
    neo158, a5cent, anadi1984 and 5 others like this.
    10-22-2014 02:54 PM
    Not that impressive. WP does most of those things already. Things like settings, UI, layout backup, quiet hours, tabs (not all tho) in app switcher and many more.

I'm more concerned why ppl on this site is posting what do we think of android l when it seems these very same ppl don't even know that WP does most of these things already.
    neo158, anadi1984 and Gesh75 like this.
    10-22-2014 03:10 PM
    Please explain why? You're in denial if you think android l is some big leap over WP.
    10-22-2014 03:11 PM
    Just because people don't agree with your view doesn't mean people are in denial. I could just as easily say you are in denial about the advantages of WP. It makes no sense. People enjoy/appreciate different things. That's why it's good we have choices. If Android was better at everything than WP, then you might have a point, but just the fact that Android is taking inspiration from WP shows that is not true.

Lets not pretend you are the only person here with a valid point of view.
    10-22-2014 04:13 PM
    I thought that it would look much better than what is shown in that video. When I saw Google's original Android L video, I thought, "well, Google finally made a good looking OS by taking inspiration from Metro design. It really looks great." In the OP's video here, it doesn't look that good at all (design wise).

Everytime I see the Android desktop or homescreen (whatever it's called) I cringe when I see the Windows 3.1 / Win95 style desktop icons. Metro Design is the logical step forward for touch input, I love it. Old school desktop icons should be an obsolete characteristic of 80's / 90's UI design - reserved for desktop mouse input, not on touch screens.

When Microsoft first unveiled the Metro Design language, they should have had Michael J. Fox appear on stage and say, "I guess you guys aren't ready for this yet... but your kids are gonna love it." Who knows if and when that will ever happen, but I'm all for clean, touch input optimized design.
    10-22-2014 06:21 PM
    I thought that it would look much better than what is shown in that video. When I saw Google's original Android L video, I thought, "well, Google finally made a good looking OS by taking inspiration from Metro design. It really looks great." In the OP's video here, it doesn't look that good at all (design wise).

Everytime I see the Android desktop or homescreen (whatever it's called) I cringe when I see the Windows 3.1 / Win95 style desktop icons. Metro Design is the logical step forward for touch input, I love it. Old school desktop icons should be an obsolete characteristic of 80's / 90's UI design - reserved for desktop mouse input, not on touch screens.

When Microsoft first unveiled the Metro Design language, they should have had Michael J. Fox appear on stage and say, "I guess you guys aren't ready for this yet... but your kids are gonna love it." Who knows if and when that will ever happen, but I'm all for clean, touch input optimized design.
    That's just it, I don't think the underlying code of Android is a problem and switching to ART should give a performance boost and better battery life.

The problem with Android is the cluster**** of an interface. For example some of the Google apps on Android 4.4 have received updates to get the Material Design, but in those apps I found five different interface styles. If Google can't get consistent styling throughout their own apps then how the hell do they expect developers to create apps with a consistent design.
    Tjarren likes this.
    10-22-2014 06:36 PM
    Android is a mess.
    10-22-2014 06:43 PM

So what do you guys think?
    Hhaha well from what im reading on the replies I guess you got your answer
    10-22-2014 06:56 PM
169 123 ...