IE in the background is killing my battery - even though it is disabled

DrewT3

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
The last week or two my 920's battery life has gone way down. It was around the same time Cyan was finally released for my phone. I used to comfortably make it through the day with 60% left, now, with the same usage and apps it is at 20% by lunchtime.
I've tried uninstalling apps, disallowing any background tasks and leaving battery saver on. Nothing gets close to the old battery life (the battery life I had two weeks ago).
Battery Saver says the culprit is Internet Explorer, and that it is while running as a background task. I have disabled IE's ability to run in the background and I've unpinned all IE bookmarks from my start page. I've closed all IE tabs except for a single blank one. I've gone a day without touching IE. It still says 90% + of my battery is being used by IE in the background.
Any thoughts before I hard reset and lose all my game saves, etc?

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Tried a soft reset ? Shut down and power up the phone again, see if it still happens.

AGREED, soft reset should fix it, something's stuck in the background.

Make sure you're NOT trying to sync IE across all devices. (SETTINGS >> SYNC my SETTINGS)

DrewT3

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I've done numerous soft resets. I did have IE on in Sync my Settings, I just turned it off. We'll see if that does anything.
Thanks

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed that you're not given the option to stop IE in the background right away. You have to run it for awhile. Blocking everything except Cortana, Weather, and Battery Saver, while disabling IE sync finally calmed down the drain on my 822. Your mileage may vary.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb