When will we receive another OS update?

skirush2014

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I've had a few window's phones in the past year. Mostly, I've used them as temporary phones (e.g., Lumia 520) while I waited to sell and by a new iphone or galaxy. The new 8.1 OS is a major update for windows phones and it feels more "legit" as a smart phone. The apps have improved, but still not quite there.

I currently have a Lumia 635. As I'm debating staying with windows phone (and getting a Lumia 935) or getting a new iphone, I was wondering if anyone knew if windows is set to release a new OS update anytime soon. As 8.1 was a big jump, there is still room for improvement.

thanks,

her3814

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Well think about it we all are mad cause we aren't yet receiving a new update.. But in Android ecosystem (not Apple's) when you buy a non high end smartphone you don't even receive ANY updates at all... Here we are sure that if. MS releases a new OS update we will receive it... And @kevin ritson... Sorry to hear that but you should contact Zynga and ask them to release the app

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
there have been reports of GDR2 lurking around. developers preview should be here soon. And windows 10 for phones on April.

danielgr

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
There should be a GDR2 update coming up soon, isn't it?
Otherwise, I can't wait for WP10 (or W10 for phone or whatever they call it).
Mostly hoping that we will finally able to share some software between phone and PC, for real.

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
The next major revolution of Windows Phone i.e. Windows 10 will be out somewhere in April 2015. Till then the current OS WP8.1 will receive 2 updates GDR1 and GDR2. GDR1 is already available with the PFD and is scheduled to go live OTA shortly i guess. There is no word yet about GDR2 hitting our phones in the PFD.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Where are people getting April 2015 as the release date for the next version of WP? Did I miss an official announcement or is this the typical rumour being posted as official news?

her3814

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Where are people getting April 2015 as the release date for the next version of WP? Did I miss an official announcement or is this the typical rumour being posted as official news?

It's just a rumor.. And I read in some of my news sites I read everyday that a twitter leaked said that we should see GDR2 in later November
... Lets keep hopes up 👆

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
The next Update will probably release through Preview for Developers by the time Denim starts rolling out to our devices, if we go by their update history.

jordanzhninja

May 4, 2014
Visit site
"April 2015" is not a thing.

Build is at the end of April, and the start of May. Ignite is in May.
Windows 10 was announced to come in the 2nd half of the year.

April is the 1st half.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
This "April" thing is for desktop... No one has mentioned anything about WP10...

Unless.. You can provide a source...

There were articles saying 8.1 GDR2 Preview would be released in October 2014... But we're in November and nothing yet... So.. *Shrug*

Future Fossil

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm on Verizon. There's not much point in MS doing anything except folding up shop for Windows Phone if the biggest carrier won't support the system.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
That's because there is no such thing as WP10. Its Windows 10 even on phone. In truth its still WP10, but they aren't calling it that anymore. I'm pretty sure the plan is to launch it around the same time as the desktop. There is also no more Windows RT either, but instead its just Windows 10 running on an ARM (which is windows RT with a new name)

This "April" thing is for desktop... No one has mentioned anything about WP10...

Unless.. You can provide a source...

There were articles saying 8.1 GDR2 Preview would be released in October 2014... But we're in November and nothing yet... So.. *Shrug*

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
If they won't update their devices, they could release a new phone at twice the normal rate to compensate. That way verizon is always up to date even if it means buying a new phone. It sucks and I left Verzion for AT&T for this very reason.

I'm on Verizon. There's not much point in MS doing anything except folding up shop for Windows Phone if the biggest carrier won't support the system.

Mattman86

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site

I'm not disagreeing with you. I just want to point out that Verizon is not the largest carrier. Verizon and AT&T have been on par with each other at 34% of the market each for the last year or so.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

Windows Phone has been doing relatively well in spite of insipid support all along from VZN thanks to ATT and GSM carriers in Europe and Latin America and the Far east and both China and India are definitely heating up also.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12