Verizon & Microsoft Equal Pathetic

snowwake8

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I was at the Verizon store and I was checking out new stuff and noticed something very upsetting and, well, pathetic. Verizon has 4 Windows Phones available and of the 4 only one of the phones has Windows Phone 8.1 on it. The One m8. The others still have Windows 8. I'm shocked. How is this brand going to grow when this is what they have to offer. It frustrates me so much because I'm rooting for Windows Phones to be successful but when I see this I get completely discouraged! Come on!!

JBM425

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
How Verizon has treated Lumia Icon can be summed up as "How to Annoy Friends and Irritate Users," that's for sure! The Average Joe user should not have to rely on a Developer preview to get 8.1 that has already rolled out to Nokia/Lumia phones on AT&T long ago and came installed on the M8 One for WP, and shouldn't have to beg to get Cyan hardware updates when AT&T has already rolled them out and Lumia is now talking about Denim.

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I was at the Verizon store and I was checking out new stuff and noticed something very upsetting and, well, pathetic. Verizon has 4 Windows Phones available and of the 4 only one of the phones has Windows Phone 8.1 on it. The One m8. The others still have Windows 8. I'm shocked. How is this brand going to grow when this is what they have to offer. It frustrates me so much because I'm rooting for Windows Phones to be successful but when I see this I get completely discouraged! Come on!!

That is nothing! I went to several Verizon stores and they have dummy WPs on the display! Others had WP that were not charged at all! So it seems like there was something wrong with the WP itself! Nice promotional effort by Verizon to sell Windows phones LOL!.

Microsoft should give their business to T-Mobile; at least the charge their WPs and don't use dummy phones either. Best if Microsoft just sell Lumia WP unlocked using Microsoft Store online and their retail stores!

Last edited:

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
The reason the M8 is the only one with 8.1 is it came with it already installed. Verizon (as thousands of post here and other places have stated) has not released 8.1 on the other three, ICON, 928 and 822.

What you saw is what Verizon presently has to offer.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry but if you have a choice to be on att just do it. We all know att is the only carrier that supports WP. But if there's no way on earth to get on I understand.but if there is a way but decide to be anywhere else......don't complain! It's already tough being on WP but even tougher being on a carrier that doesn't support WP. I made a choice....if I'm going WP I have to have the best support! That's why I chose att because it did state att is the premier carrier for WP. If att is available for you , why choose any one else,att has the better WP anyway. Stop complaining about WP updates,phone selection if your on, Verizon,T-Mobile,sprint,etc !if there is no att you have an excuse!

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Meanwhile in The rest of the world, we are enjoying cyan and even the ICON (930 for us) has cyan and the 8.1.1 update. Blame your carriers.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
that's because you are not supposed to buy a phone in a SERVICE provider, just like you first buy your computer in a COMPUTER SHOP and then go to your local operator to get ADSL, as soon as you dear americans realize this, we will move on free from this nightmare of carrier locked devices :)

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
that's because you are not supposed to buy a phone in a SERVICE provider, just like you first buy your computer in a COMPUTER SHOP and then go to your local operator to get ADSL, as soon as you dear americans realize this, we will move on free from this nightmare of carrier locked devices :)
Nope wont happen ! Carrier sales is what pays the bill at the end of the day. And that's all that matters I have sweet credit so yeah I go in to an att store a walk out with a new phone no problems mostly for free ! So why on earth would I buy unlocked ? My data speeds are on average of about 35mbps. And since I'm a WP fan....only makes sense to go with a carrier whom also likes WP. Why buy a WP from a carrier that hates WP? If ms stated that WP will die if they avoid carriers what would you do? Leave WP? That's why iPhones and androids are still sold at carriers .....they pay the bills!

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Nope wont happen ! Carrier sales is what pays the bill at the end of the day. And that's all that matters I have sweet credit so yeah I go in to an att store a walk out with a new phone no problems mostly for free ! So why on earth would I buy unlocked ? My data speeds are on average of about 35mbps. And since I'm a WP fan....only makes sense to go with a carrier whom also likes WP. Why buy a WP from a carrier that hates WP? If ms stated that WP will die if they avoid carriers what would you do? Leave WP? That's why iPhones and androids are still sold at carriers .....they pay the bills!
This. You pretty much have summed up my feelings. When my contract is up with Verizon I plan on strolling over to an AT&T store and porting over my phone number. I've just about had it with Verizon.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
This. You pretty much have summed up my feelings. When my contract is up with Verizon I plan on strolling over to an AT&T store and porting over my phone number. I've just about had it with Verizon.
That's it bud ! If you have a choice , and like WP, use att as your provider! I'm sorry for the unlocked buyers but they don't bring in the big bucks....carriers like att do. Verizon was and has always been androids carrier! Att works with all three ! So if your on T-Mobile on because there a little cheaper don't complain that they wont show much support to WP neither will sprint or Verizon.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The only reason I see a benefit of unlocked is if you switch carriers. I am on att and so far they have updated their phones properly and I'm okay with them. I am not paying $700 for the same phone I can get from the carrier way less. And if I want it unlocked, just ask.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I'll be glad to be done with AT&T (and selling my soul to carriers in general) later this month. I don't care how much I want the latest and greatest. It's not worth it in the end.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
The only reason I see a benefit of unlocked is if you switch carriers. I am on att and so far they have updated their phones properly and I'm okay with them. I am not paying $700 for the same phone I can get from the carrier way less. And if I want it unlocked, just ask.

I grabbed the 1520 from B&H unlocked with 32gb and built in Qi for $500, which is better than you can get from AT&T, full USA LTE and I can use it on any carrier. Definitely the way to go vs paying full price for AT&T's version. Going to switch to Cricket, which runs on AT&T

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I grabbed the 1520 from B&H unlocked with 32gb and built in Qi for $500, which is better than you can get from AT&T, full USA LTE and I can use it on any carrier. Definitely the way to go vs paying full price for AT&T's version. Going to switch to Cricket, which runs on AT&T

Unicorns forever! 😊

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
For sum its how they buy there phones but a small minority. Me most of the time with little to no money out if pocket I get the phone I want much easier full support from carriers, it breaks they fix no worries as well as full lte . And for the update nuts who gets the updates first carriers like att or unlocked?

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
The issue is a financing decision, because you pay the full cost over the life of your contract if not (~$20 per month higher cost). Hasn't always been that way, but T-Mobile and earnings pressure has everyone moving to separate the subsidy from the service. I'd rather get the unbranded phone and be free from carrier interference that I can use how I want on any carrier, including when I go abroad. Its stupid small things that make a huge difference, whether its higher internal memory, wireless charging or being able to set MMS apns (you can't on Verizon phones, the setting is hidden in the registry which you can't modify).

I completely understand people wanting to get a carrier phone, but the 1520 with less internal storage, no wireless charging and carrier locked costs more right now than the unlocked version, with the only difference being warranty. I know I get something like a one year warranty when I buy something with my Amex, so I'm not too concerned, but that works for my situation and not everyone's.

We are probably 5 years away from a truly European style market, but I think we'll see that once Verizon and Sprint move away from their 3g networks. For now, though, there is enough pricing pressure on the carriers to make unlocked phones pretty compelling

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry but if you have a choice to be on att just do it. We all know att is the only carrier that supports WP.
Not true. AT&T may sell more WP models and may update them quicker but that's like saying they are a spouse that beats you less than someone else would.

Carrier "support" for any phone is a form of customer abuse. Don't be an advocate for slightly less serious abuse.

Pretty much all GSM carriers (not just AT&T) work fine with Windows phones. It's NEVER a good thing to buy a phone from a carrier because that gives them the upper hand in the relationship. Would you buy a car from Exxon if it meant you could only use Exxon gas? How about if they bury the price of the car in the gas prices and let you get a new one every x months?

Don't praise a carrier for being less abusive than others. Bring your own phone that you like and that you can replace/sell/jump up and down on whenever doing so fits YOUR needs not some carrier's.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Anyone who thinks they are not winding up paying more for a phone on contract has not done any research.

​It's less up front to free and then they make back the rest of the price + more (vs outright purchase) over the two year contract...

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Not true. AT&T may sell more WP models and may update them quicker but that's like saying they are a spouse that beats you less than someone else would.

Carrier "support" for any phone is a form of customer abuse. Don't be an advocate for slightly less serious abuse.

Pretty much all GSM carriers (not just AT&T) work fine with Windows phones. It's NEVER a good thing to buy a phone from a carrier because that gives them the upper hand in the relationship. Would you buy a car from Exxon if it meant you could only use Exxon gas? How about if they bury the price of the car in the gas prices and let you get a new one every x months?

Don't praise a carrier for being less abusive than others. Bring your own phone that you like and that you can replace/sell/jump up and down on whenever doing so fits YOUR needs not some carrier's.
I'm good with att no complaint in regards to ,phone selection,customers service,WP updates etc ! To each his own at the end of they day no carrier is perfect but in regards to WP support att is the lesser of the evils. You read on these forums about WP customers either still waiting on updates or not getting them at all...most of them are either on other carriers besides att .att has replaced my WP several times with no hassle and on the spot. In the end being on WP is kinda tough but att makes it a bit smoother . For me at least! Att will show more support as WP matures .

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
good for you, now, if you were so nice to check out how much it costs to pay for your "free" phone every month, then do some calculations and you will soon find out you are paying twice what it costs full price unlocked, so if instead of foolishly signing contracts you could save 20$ each month plus the 200$ you pay upfront, in 2 years you will have more than enough to buy any proper high end phone you want, not a carrier ****ed phone that's more of their property than yours, but then again, if you could think of this in the first place you'd be in a different situation anyway ;)

btw being unlocked or not is just the tip of the iceberg, having $hit on your phone you don't even know what you really have with a carrier forked firmware just causing bugs and nightmares, blocking updates and features, and in the end having your OEM or Microsoft tell you that you may need to talk with your carrier for your SOFTWARE issues, and then they will tell you to do the same with Microsoft/oem, lol what can be more hilarious

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo