Why isn't Skype receiving calls unless the app is open on the screen?

SymoClod

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Skype not receiving calls unless app is open on screen.

Hi - was wondering if anyone has any bright ideas as to the problem with Skype on my L820. This is now my backup phone and used for work purposes only. I did a hard reset a couple of months ago and signed in with my work account. Skype functioned normally after that for a while but recently I am not getting any notifications of incoming calls or new messages unless I actually have the phone turned on and Skype open fully.

I have checked the settings and it is set to be allowed to run in the background. I have uninstalled and reinstalled. I have done another hard reset but nothing works. I have made sure that no-one else is signed into the same account on another device.

Skype is working fine on my new 1520 so I guess it is not Skype itself completely broken. The main reason for keeping the phone was to use it for Skype calls on my work account so this is particularly annoying.

Any bright ideas would be appreciated - I am probably doing something stupid but I can't figure out what.

CardozoRT

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Skype not receiving calls unless app is open on screen.

Hi

I also am experiencing some issues with Skype, but only in 3G/4G network. Everything fine worth Wi-Fi.

I'm ok Lumia 1520.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Skype receiving calls is always spotty. It may work sometimes but not other times. Even the Skype app on Windows 8 PC is the same. So, yes, it is indeed a Skype app problem. MS tried to fix it for many times but never completely resolve it IMO. I remember one of the updates even requires you to manually uninstall the Skype before update to the new version in order for push notification to work.

SymoClod

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site

Yeah... I agree that it is a bit unreliable but I've not had it die on me for several weeks like this before. Beginning to think that I might sell it on ebay and pick up a cheap Android for work purposes. A bit ironic that I might have to go to another platform to get a decent app for a Microsoft service.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I've had that same problem with Skype on my L635. Fixed it by uninstalling Skype, rebooting the phone (simple reboot, no soft reset), then reinstalling Skype. Actually, if I remember correctly I even had to reinstall it twice but I didn't reboot the device the second time. It's been working ever since, hope it'll stay like that. Works on both WiFi and 3G.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site

I have a 1020 for my personal phone and an iPhone 6 supplied by my company. No calls via the 1020, flawless performance on my iPhone 6. Discuss...

SymoClod

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site

I've had to uninstall it completely as it seems that it was also preventing missed voice calls from going to voicemail and pissing off a lot of callers. Oh well, maybe they'll sort it out one day as it seems from recent reviews that it's probably related to the last update.

palmujukka

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site

I've had this issue since the last Skype update. My online status is shown as away in my friend's phone unless I open the app on my phone.

Therefore, it looks like that the app isn't running in the background as it should. I've enabled the background task in the settings, so this could be a bug in the app.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3