Cisco IPSec

kiddori

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, but I'm not necessarily looking for an app developed by Cisco. Android, iOS, and OS X all support the Cisco IPSec protocol in their native VPN clients. Why can't there be Cisco IPSec support within the WP8 native client?

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I don't know about Android, but Apple obviously worked with Cisco to put their VPN client on the phone, it even has the Cisco logo. I don't think Apple went and developed it themselves.

There actually is a built-in IPsec client but it is IKEv2, so not as commonly supported.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about Android, but Apple obviously worked with Cisco to put their VPN client on the phone, it even has the Cisco logo. I don't think Apple went and developed it themselves.

There actually is a built-in IPsec client but it is IKEv2, so not as commonly supported.

Apple did this only because Cisco owned and still owns the "iOS" trademark. It was a concession they negotiated so Apple could use the trademark.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I believe Cisco owns/owned "iphone" too. I remember there were some negotiations over that but I don't know what Cisco got out of Apple for it. I didn't know they also had to haggle over IOS, although it makes sense.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I believe Cisco owns/owned "iphone" too. I remember there were some negotiations over that but I don't know what Cisco got out of Apple for it. I didn't know they also had to haggle over IOS, although it makes sense.

If I remember correctly the iPhone one was not Cisco related. I know for a fact that in Canada iPhone was owned by a small company called Comwave for their VoIP service. I think they got a pile of money from Apple for that as all of a sudden their commercials got better and even used real celebrities. I am also pretty sure that their was a South American company in a similar position that did a deal with Apple.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
If I remember correctly the iPhone one was not Cisco related. I know for a fact that in Canada iPhone was owned by a small company called Comwave for their VoIP service. I think they got a pile of money from Apple for that as all of a sudden their commercials got better and even used real celebrities. I am also pretty sure that their was a South American company in a similar position that did a deal with Apple.

I just checked to make sure I'm not nuts (well not completely anyway). Turns out I remembered correctly for a change:
Linksys iPhone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It says in part "Apple and Cisco settled their dispute on February 20, 2007. Both companies will be allowed to use the "iPhone" name in exchange for "exploring interoperability" between Apple's products and Cisco's services and other unspecified terms".

Not sure what interoperability they mean, but it might include the VPN stuff.

kiddori

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I actually owned a Cisco iPhone once, for phone calls through my computer.

Anyway, back to VPN. Has anyone every successfully connected to a Cisco ASA 5505 firewall using the IKEv2 protocol on Windows Phone?

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone every successfully connected to a Cisco ASA 5505 firewall using the IKEv2 protocol on Windows Phone?

I haven't managed to get it to work yet, but I haven't spent much time on it. I tried it with an ASA 5525X running 9.4. Crypto debug output shows phase 1 completes but fails on phase 2 authentication. I think I need a cert but I haven't figured out how to get a cert on to the phone, although I haven't tried looking it up. I got busy and dropped it, but I will try and get back to it soon. If I ever get it working I'll need RDP, ssh and telnet apps, and maybe a ping utility if they exist.

Last edited:

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Cool, thanks for the apps info. If I come up with a working config I'll pass it onto you. The ASA needs to be running at least 8.4 to support IKEv2 I believe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium