Seriously, Is Nadella Familiar w/ Paul Allen & Steve Ballmer?

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Anyone remember how the Samsung Galaxy line first established itself in the iPhone dominant US market? A man named LeBron James was paid by Samsung to be seen using the Galaxy, and long story short it became a fashion statement among the 16-24 fan demographic segment of the NBA (a global brand). Look at the sidelines of an NBA game (like the All-Star game) and almost all the players are using Galaxies not iPhones. It easily could be argued that without Lebron James the Samsung Galaxy line would have never gained a sizeable foothold in a market that had people drooling over the iPhone.
A lot of us may think it?s silly to think that people buy what they see celebrities and famous athletes using/wearing but it?s absolutely true (especially with the younger crowd, the youth that develop brand loyalty). A man named Michael Jordan MADE Nike, without MJ, Nike had no chance against Adidas and ReeBok (a Duopoly). Look at Nike now. Too bad Microsoft doesn?t have any prominent ?alums? associated with the brands who have access to highly marketable pro athletes. Oh wait they do, Paul Allen owns the Seattle Seahawks of the NFL, Portland Trailblazers of the NBA and is a co-owner of the Seattle Sounders of the MLS, and Steve Ballmer now owns the Los Angeles Clippers. Allen already has had Russell Wilson in a few Surface ads and pushed through the league wide Surface promotion with the entire NFL using them, and Ballmer is fitting the Clippers with SP3?s over iPads. Now look at the SP3?s recent profitability and growth trends, can some of the SP3 sales figures be thanked to Allen and Ballmer?s connections? Most Likely.

Conclusion: Why can?t we do the same with Windows Phone!?! Get Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, Richard Sherman, Russell Wilson, Clint Dempsey etc. to push Windows Phone and be seen using WP and WP only. This strategy won?t make Windows Phone the ?Nike of Smartphones? but I promise it will make more waves in the US, where WP market share is PATHETIC. I doubt these two MSFT shareholders who still love the brand would be against Windows Phone (or whatever they're calling it now) catch on like the SP3 is starting to.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The difference is the owner of the Chicago Bulls didn't make Michael Jordan wear Nike shoes. Jordan made the decision on his own.

Forcing Clippers and Trailblazers to use smartphones they don't want would fail as bad as the CNN reporters using their Surface 3 Pros as stands to support the iPads they were using.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
The difference is the owner of the Chicago Bulls didn't make Michael Jordan wear Nike shoes. Jordan made the decision on his own.

Forcing Clippers and Trailblazers to use smartphones they don't want would fail as bad as the CNN reporters using their Surface 3 Pros as stands to support the iPads they were using.

Even though I agree with some of what you said Laura, I truly believe that WP needs champions out there pushing the coolness of having a WP. Names like The Donald and others in the business, entertainment and sports world would do wonders for the visibility of WP. If I tell someone to consider WP it falls on lukewarm ears. If a national figure like Russell Wilson says give it a try; well the sky's the limit.

For WP to become really accepted, it has to have the persona of being "cool" to have a WP. Nothing like advertising and promotion by well known people is various industries to make it OK to use WP.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Even though I agree with some of what you said Laura, I truly believe that WP needs champions out there pushing the coolness of having a WP. Names like The Donald and others in the business, entertainment and sports world would do wonders for the visibility of WP. If I tell someone to consider WP it falls on lukewarm ears. If a national figure like Russell Wilson says give it a try; well the sky's the limit.

For WP to become really accepted, it has to have the persona of being "cool" to have a WP. Nothing like advertising and promotion by well known people is various industries to make it OK to use WP.

You're correct, but I agree with Laura here. It is better if the advocate genuinely likes and uses what they're promoting.

There's a reason why high profile people use iPhones or Samsung Galaxy devices. They do pretty much everything a smartphone can do, and they do it well. Even most fans here would agree that WP falls short in some areas. They cannot be forced to use a device they don't want. And for whatever reasons, they don't want WP. Remember Jessica Alba being seen using an iPhone not long after being on stage promoting WP?

Now for me, while I use WP alongside Android, I prefer Android overall. But if Microsoft would offer me million$ to promote WP, I would more than happily never touch an Android or iPhone again, and I'd even blaspheme them if necessary. However, I am a no-name person who could easily be persuaded to do so by the money. And yes, I could convincingly praise WP and curse iPhone & Android along with the best of you! :winktongue: The elite probably wouldn't care so much about the money like I would.

As a side note, I do have one question though that might blow this apart: does Drew Brees actually use Advocare? :eck:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Nothing like advertising and promotion by well known people is various industries to make it OK to use WP.

I despise the fact that this is such an effective mass marketing tactic, as it reminds me how unopinionated and docile large swaths of humanity are, but if that helps WP, I say have at it.

Still, I feel almost all such efforts have backfired so far. Seeing any celebrity use an iProduct one week after their contract with MS expires is simply counter productive. I agree with Laura and tgp that there must be some authenticity involved, if it is to have any chance of helping rather than doing even more harm.

Last edited:

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Anyone remember how the Samsung Galaxy line first established itself in the iPhone dominant US market? A man named LeBron James was paid by Samsung to be seen using the Galaxy, and long story short it became a fashion statement among the 16-24 fan demographic segment of the NBA (a global brand). Look at the sidelines of an NBA game (like the All-Star game) and almost all the players are using Galaxies not iPhones. It easily could be argued that without Lebron James the Samsung Galaxy line would have never gained a sizeable foothold in a market that had people drooling over the iPhone.
A lot of us may think it’s silly to think that people buy what they see celebrities and famous athletes using/wearing but it’s absolutely true (especially with the younger crowd, the youth that develop brand loyalty). A man named Michael Jordan MADE Nike, without MJ, Nike had no chance against Adidas and ReeBok (a Duopoly). Look at Nike now. Too bad Microsoft doesn’t have any prominent “alums” associated with the brands who have access to highly marketable pro athletes. Oh wait they do, Paul Allen owns the Seattle Seahawks of the NFL, Portland Trailblazers of the NBA and is a co-owner of the Seattle Sounders of the MLS, and Steve Ballmer now owns the Los Angeles Clippers. Allen already has had Russell Wilson in a few Surface ads and pushed through the league wide Surface promotion with the entire NFL using them, and Ballmer is fitting the Clippers with SP3’s over iPads. Now look at the SP3’s recent profitability and growth trends, can some of the SP3 sales figures be thanked to Allen and Ballmer’s connections? Most Likely.

Conclusion: Why can’t we do the same with Windows Phone!?! Get Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, Richard Sherman, Russell Wilson, Clint Dempsey etc. to push Windows Phone and be seen using WP and WP only. This strategy won’t make Windows Phone the “Nike of Smartphones” but I promise it will make more waves in the US, where WP market share is PATHETIC. I doubt these two MSFT shareholders who still love the brand would be against Windows Phone (or whatever they're calling it now) catch on like the SP3 is starting to.

Great idea but how will WP compensate for the missing apps that these guys are so accustomed to in their daily lives, let alone those that are on WP that are rungs below IOS and Android on the proverbial ladder.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
After two seasons, Caroline Forbes betrayed us and ditched her Lumia 920 for the HTC One. It hurts, it hurts so much. Please, no more celebrities. I can't take the heartache. :cry:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Great idea but how will WP compensate for the missing apps that these guys are so accustomed to in their daily lives, let alone those that are on WP that are rungs below IOS and Android on the proverbial ladder.

This is my opinion. We say that Microsoft needs to market WP like Samsung & Apple do with their products. While marketing is very important, the product also needs to be relevant. WP is not ready to fully compete with the big boys.

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Didn't they try this once with Jessica Alba? Blew up in their face when she was caught cheating (tweeting) with another brand. I agree, though. I think it would help, but not the stupid way they did with Russell Wilson. The LeBron ad was cool as it showed him actually using it with his kids, not just talking about the product. Microsoft needs someone new in advertising to make it cool. All they commercials are so stiff compared to Apple/Samsung.

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
WP lacks crucial apps to convince many people to convert. In a lot of cases the pros don't outweigh the cons. I know it's my go to talking point every time I post on this forum, but we still don't have an official Snapchat client. I'm very thankful to Rudy for 6snap, but last I heard he had a job offer from Google?
What happens then? We'll fall even further behind on high profile apps. No celebrity is going to want to ghetto it without Snapchat etc.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
You're correct, but I agree with Laura here. It is better if the advocate genuinely likes and uses what they're promoting.

There's a reason why high profile people use iPhones or Samsung Galaxy devices. They do pretty much everything a smartphone can do, and they do it well. Even most fans here would agree that WP falls short in some areas. They cannot be forced to use a device they don't want. And for whatever reasons, they don't want WP. Remember Jessica Alba being seen using an iPhone not long after being on stage promoting WP?

Now for me, while I use WP alongside Android, I prefer Android overall. But if Microsoft would offer me million$ to promote WP, I would more than happily never touch an Android or iPhone again, and I'd even blaspheme them if necessary. However, I am a no-name person who could easily be persuaded to do so by the money. And yes, I could convincingly praise WP and curse iPhone & Android along with the best of you! :winktongue: The elite probably wouldn't care so much about the money like I would.

As a side note, I do have one question though that might blow this apart: does Drew Brees actually use Advocare? :eck:

Are you serious? I doubt very many advocates actually use the product they advertise. They do it for the money. Why not have some of them take MS money and provide the same as they do for other products.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
After two seasons, Caroline Forbes betrayed us and ditched her Lumia 920 for the HTC One. It hurts, it hurts so much. Please, no more celebrities. I can't take the heartache. :cry:

We also saw what a failure it was when BlackBerry paid Alicia Keys, but she chose to use an iPhone on her Twitter account.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft had a sales campaign around stars including Gwen Stefani, Will Arnett, Jessica Alba, and Andy Samberg. It didn't work for them then either. The crowd that would be driven to buy a WP based on celebrity endorsement would be the same to shun it when Instagram isn't there (the beta app hasn't been updated since March).

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site

No one is being forced to do anything. Pro athletes make a huge chunk of their money from endorsement deals, MJ wore Nike because they paid him a hefty sum to do so. I'm not saying Allen and Ballmer would force anyone they'd just serve as Microsoft's connection to line up WP endorsements for these athletes.

Exactly, for the US smartphone market the celebrity endorsement strategy has proven effective. Just look at the new James Franco Droid Turbo ad. Android OEM's and Google have unleashed an all out marketing blitz over the years its been around. Quality isn't the problem marketing is, the Surface Pro 3's campaign has been top notch and the sales figures reflect this.

Lebron James along with many players and the male 18-24 demo that loves the NBA gravitate towards Android products in general, especially in lower income households where an iPhone was too premium. Point is that WP like it or not is in an introductory phase still whereas Apple and Samsung are in their peak maturity stage. Windows Phone requires much more advertising than established brands.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft had a sales campaign around stars including Gwen Stefani, Will Arnett, Jessica Alba, and Andy Samberg. It didn't work for them then either. The crowd that would be driven to buy a WP based on celebrity endorsement would be the same to shun it when Instagram isn't there (the beta app hasn't been updated since March).
That's a false equivalency, you cannot compare yesterday's b-list actors to global sports icons that have rabidly fanatical fanbases. In marketing we know people like Lebron as "opinion leaders" because so many people practically worship them. Another example is Peyton Manning with Buick and Papa John's, look at their growth trends in these past two years.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Lebron James along with many players and the male 18-24 demo that loves the NBA gravitate towards Android products in general, especially in lower income households where an iPhone was too premium. Point is that WP like it or not is in an introductory phase still whereas Apple and Samsung are in their peak maturity stage. Windows Phone requires much more advertising than established brands.

LeBron certainly isn't low-income. Did you ever see his house?

I'd expect more NBA players prefered Samsung rather than Apple in the past because basketball players generally have large hands, since they're tall guys. Prior to the 6+, iPhones would've been tiny to basketball players.

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I honestly doubt it would make any difference.
If marketing campaigns made no difference corporations wouldn't be doing things like paying $3,000,000 per 30 secs for a Superbowl Ad spot. It's all about marketing, great products that go unnoticed become failed products.

And why does everyone assume I meant force them? Player's agents would never allow their player to promote a product for free.

WP lacks crucial apps to convince many people to convert. In a lot of cases the pros don't outweigh the cons. I know it's my go to talking point every time I post on this forum, but we still don't have an official Snapchat client. I'm very thankful to Rudy for 6snap, but last I heard he had a job offer from Google?
What happens then? We'll fall even further behind on high profile apps. No celebrity is going to want to ghetto it without Snapchat etc.
You have it backwards, we can't get app parity until we get a bit more than 3% of the market. By parity I mean we get hot trendy apps and games at the same time as the other two and the quality is equal and updates actually occur as regularly as seen on iOS and Android.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05