11-08-2014 12:34 PM
63 123
tools
    I'm hanging on my Lumia 920 for the coming months.

If Microsoft had had a decent flagship ready, I might had bought it. But at this point I'm on the verge to jump over to Android. I couldn't even recommend my wife a Lumia at the moment. There are several fashion related apps which won't come anytime soon to Windows phone.

In addition, phones like the Moto G 2nd generation have a great value for money and lollipop is guaranteed.

The old argument about the ecosystem is now a farce. I could switch to Android and would lose not a single Microsoft app and all apps would be superior to what I get on Windows Phone. In addition they will even get faster updates.

The only wildcard is Cortana. But it is only a question of time until they make it available for Android and iPhone.

I'm VERY disappointed in Microsoft. Don't forget: Windows 10 is still ~9 months away and will have to fight against Android Mango Smoothie and IOS 9. And chances are that it will be a typical 1.0 product and we will have to wait for 10.1 for the fixes.

😞 come on Microsoft, throw us a bone!
    11-08-2014 01:10 AM
    What other devices do you have Trev?

If it's just a phone and maybe a computer maybe it's time to buy an Xbox One, then you would have a reason to download Smartglass and buy the UK TV dongle, then you can forget about losing faith and you will have a combo you can show off to all your friends

Bob (Don't worry folks I will stop signing all my posts with my name after a bit of work this weekend)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-08-2014 01:21 AM
    What? First of all, the app situation has gotten a lot better. And what is wrong with the Twitter app?

Second of all, Microsoft is not abandoning anything. Windows 10 makes it pretty clear they're in this 110%.

But please, just leave if you can't handle this phantom abandonment and non-existent increase in apps.
    I know the quantity of apps has increased. But the quality is still way below the corresponding android and ios apps. Music player? videos? The latest office apps in ios and android are way better than windows phone apps. Microsoft should be releasing improved office apps on windows phones first.

About the twitter app. Since I started using my lumia twitter has been updated once or twice( In the last 15 months). I think you havent used twitter in other platforms. It has poor UI, the search is bad. Notifications are late, and the app is laggy. It will take a lot of clicks to even go to the profile of a person you follow. There is not even a single decent free alternative to the official app.

47f9ad0f-01ee-4f31-b9c8-450b00510445.pngscreen322x572.jpeg

Just look at these and tell me what you see.
    Last edited by tvarjun; 11-08-2014 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Adding more info.
    trev81uk likes this.
    11-08-2014 01:31 AM
    I've doubled down now. I've now ordered a Lumia 521 from my warranty plan from T-Mobile to replace my 3 year old HTC Radar. So now I can hold out until next year and get a Windows 10 phone in June or less, or until I give a fudge. There's nothing going to get me to switch over to any other OS, thank you very much. I already have my Samsung Tab 4 tablet for browsing and comics as it is.
    11-08-2014 02:13 AM
    i would like to say something tp everyone who is losing faith in windows phone. Dont believe in the present windows Phone.Keep Faith in the potential of the Windows Phone. :) These Fandroids and isheep will come running to windows phone. Please be a little patient as this OS is emerging to be an underdog 😊
    Karthik Naik and Blu3V3nom07 like this.
    11-08-2014 02:30 AM
    I am in the same situation as yours. brought the phone a year back. The app situation havent improved any better. The basic apps like twitter are pathetic in windows phone. All the microsoft apps are also better in other platforms rather than in wp. It looks like microsoft is abandoning its loyal customers alltogether. I am considering jumping to other platforms if this situation prevails.
    You have obviously not used all Microsoft apps if you think all are better on other platforms. Only a handful of apps are demonstrably better. Some do not even exist and most others are no more than comparable. I will also take Microsoft's business apps, Office 365 admin controls, Remote Desktop, and the ability to control my Server 2012 R2 server over anything Android offers as an alternative. All also come without giving Google unfettered access to my data and identity.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    11-08-2014 03:11 AM
    What? First of all, the app situation has gotten a lot better. And what is wrong with the Twitter app?

Second of all, Microsoft is not abandoning anything. Windows 10 makes it pretty clear they're in this 110%.

But please, just leave if you can't handle this phantom abandonment and non-existent increase in apps.
    Borrow a friends Android or iPhone and take a look at their Twitter app! It looks good and functions well,
    11-08-2014 03:13 AM

If Microsoft had had a decent flagship ready, I might had bought it. But at this point I'm on the verge to jump over to Android. I couldn't even recommend my wife a Lumia at the moment. There are several fashion related apps which won't come anytime soon to Windows phone.

In addition, phones like the Moto G 2nd generation have a great value for money and lollipop is guaranteed.

The old argument about the ecosystem is now a farce. I could switch to Android and would lose not a single Microsoft app and all apps would be superior to what I get on Windows Phone. In addition they will even get faster updates.

The only wildcard is Cortana. But it is only a question of time until they make it available for Android and iPhone.

I'm VERY disappointed in Microsoft. Don't forget: Windows 10 is still ~9 months away and will have to fight against Android Mango Smoothie and IOS 9. And chances are that it will be a typical 1.0 product and we will have to wait for 10.1 for the fixes.

come on Microsoft, throw us a bone!
    Yeah I've been looking at the Moto G 4G, which I can do an Anytime Upgrade on for an extra 1 per month to my contract. However, I'm gonna add a spanner in to the works now - my impending work phone is...

....a Lumia 930. Which for me begs, the question, do I really want to be carrying two smartphones around, especially when I can use my work phone for personal use too! Ha ha, typical that work would give me a Lumia - maybe it's a sign! :-)

Cortana for me isn't a big deal, the UK version is poor and since installing it, I've now switched it off.
    11-08-2014 03:19 AM
    What other devices do you have Trev?

If it's just a phone and maybe a computer maybe it's time to buy an Xbox One, then you would have a reason to download Smartglass and buy the UK TV dongle, then you can forget about losing faith and you will have a combo you can show off to all your friends

Bob (Don't worry folks I will stop signing all my posts with my name after a bit of work this weekend)
    Ha ha, with a 6 month old in the house and a wedding to pay for I'm not sure the future wife would approve the purchase of an Xbox One. I like your thinking though ;-)
    11-08-2014 03:29 AM
    I know the quantity of apps has increased. But the quality is still way below the corresponding android and ios apps. Music player? videos? The latest office apps in ios and android are way better than windows phone apps. Microsoft should be releasing improved office apps on windows phones first.

About the twitter app. Since I started using my lumia twitter has been updated once or twice( In the last 15 months). I think you havent used twitter in other platforms. It has poor UI, the search is bad. Notifications are late, and the app is laggy. It will take a lot of clicks to even go to the profile of a person you follow. There is not even a single decent free alternative to the official app.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47f9ad0f-01ee-4f31-b9c8-450b00510445.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	86901Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen322x572.jpeg 
Views:	68 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	86902

Totally agree, one of the issues is there isn't an alternative on WP if you don't like the Twitter app (the ones suggested in this thread are either not available in the UK or are not free). I've stopped using the app, and now use the mobile site instead.
    11-08-2014 03:31 AM
    i would like to say something tp everyone who is losing faith in windows phone. Dont believe in the present windows Phone.Keep Faith in the potential of the Windows Phone. :) These Fandroids and isheep will come running to windows phone. Please be a little patient as this OS is emerging to be an underdog
    I like your sentiment and optimism, but can't see it happening!
    techiez likes this.
    11-08-2014 03:32 AM

😞 come on Microsoft, throw us a bone!
    The whole grass is greener assumption around here is getting quite annoying of late. Android's only real advantages are the breadth of the app ecosystem and that there are more device options. Beyond they, it is simply untrue that all Microsoft apps exist on android and equally untrue that all that do exist are better. Likewise, there are precious few Android devices that are guaranteed updates and claiming the next Microsoft OS will be a 1.0 effort is a bad joke since Google's open source OS still has beta level holes in version 5.0 and it still inspires companies to apply skins and launchers. it is also ironic that both Google and Apple are currently embracing UI design concepts that follow Microsoft's lead, not the other way around. Use whatever you like but grounding in reality would also be appreciated. Android is not some sort of OS nirvana and Google's record regarding updates to stock OS versions is neither faster nor more efficient for most devices in carrier controlled environments. Throw in Google's policies on data ownership and privacy and I would take any other platform.
    11-08-2014 03:35 AM
    people keep comparing it with ios and androids stuff but forget that most of the pros of windows phone are the cons of competing platforms
    on the whole windows phone is overall a better "phone" OS than android and ios in a lot of ways
    who cares if we dont get the same amount of apps(and malware :D ) as other platforms or a "resuming/loading" screen?windows phone makes up for it with rich quality apps such as Here,Office(which is arguably best on WP imho),Facebook is terrible on all platforms but its better on WP than on ios any day and battery life is the best on WP
    trev81uk likes this.
    11-08-2014 03:43 AM
    i would like to say something tp everyone who is losing faith in windows phone. Dont believe in the present windows Phone.Keep Faith in the potential of the Windows Phone. :) These Fandroids and isheep will come running to windows phone. Please be a little patient as this OS is emerging to be an underdog
    None of the mobile operating systems merit use of the word faith. They are not belief systems, just operating systems controlling inanimate objects. People should choose whatever works best for their need and insulting labels should be considered inappropriate in discourse in any civilized society. I loathe Google and am not fond of Apple's UI but that does not give me the right to toss insulting labels at the users who make up 90+ percent of the market, nor for that matter the 2 percent using BB devices.
    trev81uk and Karthik Naik like this.
    11-08-2014 03:47 AM
    people keep comparing it with ios and androids stuff but forget that most of the pros of windows phone are the cons of competing platforms
    on the whole windows phone is overall a better "phone" OS than android and ios in a lot of ways
    who cares if we dont get the same amount of apps(and malware :D ) as other platforms or a "resuming/loading" screen?windows phone makes up for it with rich quality apps such as Here,Office(which is arguably best on WP imho),Facebook is terrible on all platforms but its better on WP than on ios any day and battery life is the best on WP
    Good call! Definitely forgetting about the positives here, Nokia MixRadio, Here Drive and Maps, and a feature rich Office!
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    11-08-2014 03:50 AM
    I was thinking about going back to Android myself when Quicken didn't release a WP app for their 2015 version. I went so far as to watch videos on operating the 2014 Moto X. Just watching a couple of different guys running the operating system on the phone did it for me. I was reminded why I can't go back to Android. I just plain don't like the screens and the way the system functions. I didn't like it when I got an HTC MyTouch Slide back 3 or 4 years ago, never liked the way it operated then, and the system looks the same now. I can't go back to that. I guess I need to look at I-Phones.
    11-08-2014 04:11 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47f9ad0f-01ee-4f31-b9c8-450b00510445.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	86901Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen322x572.jpeg 
Views:	68 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	86902

There is a better twitter app. , tweetium . In beta stages, get frequent updates and the developer is one of the few who actually answer your questions and PC version beats any twitter app I know of.
    11-08-2014 04:43 AM
    The whole grass is greener assumption around here is getting quite annoying of late. Android's only real advantages are the breadth of the app ecosystem and that there are more device options. Beyond they, it is simply untrue that all Microsoft apps exist on android and equally untrue that all that do exist are better. Likewise, there are precious few Android devices that are guaranteed updates and claiming the next Microsoft OS will be a 1.0 effort is a bad joke since Google's open source OS still has beta level holes in version 5.0 and it still inspires companies to apply skins and launchers. it is also ironic that both Google and Apple are currently embracing UI design concepts that follow Microsoft's lead, not the other way around. Use whatever you like but grounding in reality would also be appreciated. Android is not some sort of OS nirvana and Google's record regarding updates to stock OS versions is neither faster nor more efficient for most devices in carrier controlled environments. Throw in Google's policies on data ownership and privacy and I would take any other platform.
    The reason i choose WP over android is because of the laggy os itself. WP was way smoother and fluid as an OS and still is. I absolutely love it. But android is changing with the latest versions and fast catching up in the OS department. Whereas windows phone still lags in the app quality.We dont have any google apps. Many major games. Nt a huge problem. But we should be given proper basic apps like Music and Twitter.

Tweetium seems to be good. But is massively overpriced and requires pro subscription even for notifications.
    11-08-2014 05:25 AM
    I've been on WP since the Trophy and WP7 and have gotten a lot of people to use WP. I've used many windows phones, including the Icon and HTC M8. I can live without a lot of apps. I like the look of WP and it has some really nicely looking apps. But... I'm on Verizon and obviously, they have issues with WP. I started using an android last week, a Droid Maxx. It's pretty impressive and I love the battery life. Nothing like that on WP except for the 1520. Android is very nice, looks good, pretty smooth (not as smooth on the Maxx, but the LG G2 is as smooth). I don't like the ads on android and would rather pay for apps than have ads, but that isn't an option on many. If WP on Verizon had a good, up-to-date software phone with great battery life, I would probably use it. Til then, I'm on Android.
    11-08-2014 05:32 AM
    The live tile on tweetium still updates you. If you buy the pc version the beta version for the mobile is free. I got the pro version and overall its right up there with the droid and ios twitter apps. Plus gets updates regularly
    11-08-2014 05:54 AM
    Well, I've got to admit I'm beginning to get frustrated with Windows Phone. You'll see from my previous posts that I have been a big supporter ever since coming on board, but things are slowly beginning to frustrate me, none more the continued lack of app choice and support.
    For example, the facebook app I very poor, lacking many many features from other platforms, the same with Twitter. A poor app I can understand, but no one is creating alternate apps for WP such as Tweetdeck.
    It's not just apps either, a once stable OS had now become the opposite since the release of 8.1 and subsequent updates, live tiles don't update, and toast notifications are inconsistent.

Anyway, rant over. Can anyone reinstate my faith or are people feeling the same. I may be getting desperate and consider moving over to Android.
    I feel the same. Windows 10 is where the efforts of MS are really at, that OS when its out will be able to take the fight to Google and Apple. As it is right now the officially released WP OS (im in UK so don't even have update 1 yet) is a joke when compared with Kitkat and Lolipop will smash Update 2 out of the park in terms of features. The hardware is not comparable to Android either with the Samsung S5 beating anything WP has to offer. However... Many people like myself hate Google, their privacy/add policy sucks. iOS is an old ring-fenced system that has one thing going for it and that is Apps. As soon as contract is up im getting an iPhone 6, as soon as Windows 10 devices are out im selling said iPhone and buying the latest Windows device. I have been patient and understanding. I will be back!
    11-08-2014 06:11 AM
    It's not stable because you're on Dev Preview... I used Nokia Software Recovery Tool, and now its just as stable as 8.0 was.
    Don't know your situation (or whoever you were talking to) but if you were on DP because you have a carrier dragging their feet, I thought the DP versions were the same as what non-DPers had in their non-carrier phones. In theory DP shouldn't be a factor in stability unless you are using something that hasn't been rolled out to any non-DPers with your phone yet. So people need to say which group they are in when talking about DP.
    11-08-2014 08:16 AM
    Sick of all these "woe is me" posts... How about you make some constructive feedback? Go to user voice and suggest improvements.

And if you don't want to help make this a successful platform, go get a different phone. No one cares about people "losing faith". It's a phone for Christ's sake... Switch to something else that works for you if you can't hack it...
    11-08-2014 08:18 AM
    Sick of all these "woe is me" posts... How about you make some constructive feedback? Go to user voice and suggest improvements.

And if you don't want to help make this a successful platform, go get a different phone. No one cares about people "losing faith". It's a phone for Christ's sake... Switch to something else that works for you if you can't hack it...
    Uhh.. Did you even read the post?
    trev81uk likes this.
    11-08-2014 08:23 AM
    Uhh.. Did you even read the post?
    I read it. I read at least 5 of these a day.... What are we gonna do to fix the problems?
    11-08-2014 08:35 AM
63 123