Losing faith...

Status
Not open for further replies.

vimajm

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm loosing patience too .... One thing I miss the most is a decent alarm app with stubborn math or puzzle problems to stop the alarm.... Live tiles also take a bit time to update and are less informative and customizable compared to widgets

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
When I get frustrated, I say I'll just wait for Win 10, see there and decide if I'll jump ship. But the truth is, I'm still in love with the whole OS and I'll stay here until the end of time. Like a bad marriage. 😎

wpfan1958

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I am in the same situation as yours. brought the phone a year back. The app situation havent improved any better. The basic apps like twitter are pathetic in windows phone. All the microsoft apps are also better in other platforms rather than in wp. It looks like microsoft is abandoning its loyal customers alltogether. I am considering jumping to other platforms if this situation prevails.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I am in the same situation as yours. brought the phone a year back. The app situation havent improved any better. The basic apps like twitter are pathetic in windows phone. All the microsoft apps are also better in other platforms rather than in wp. It looks like microsoft is abandoning its loyal customers alltogether. I am considering jumping to other platforms if this situation prevails.

What? First of all, the app situation has gotten a lot better. And what is wrong with the Twitter app?

Second of all, Microsoft is not abandoning anything. Windows 10 makes it pretty clear they're in this 110%.

But please, just leave if you can't handle this phantom abandonment and non-existent increase in apps.

HelloLudger

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm hanging on my Lumia 920 for the coming months.

If Microsoft had had a decent flagship ready, I might had bought it. But at this point I'm on the verge to jump over to Android. I couldn't even recommend my wife a Lumia at the moment. There are several fashion related apps which won't come anytime soon to Windows phone.

In addition, phones like the Moto G 2nd generation have a great value for money and lollipop is guaranteed.

The old argument about the ecosystem is now a farce. I could switch to Android and would lose not a single Microsoft app and all apps would be superior to what I get on Windows Phone. In addition they will even get faster updates.

The only wildcard is Cortana. But it is only a question of time until they make it available for Android and iPhone.

I'm VERY disappointed in Microsoft. Don't forget: Windows 10 is still ~9 months away and will have to fight against Android Mango Smoothie and IOS 9. And chances are that it will be a typical 1.0 product and we will have to wait for 10.1 for the fixes.

😞 come on Microsoft, throw us a bone!

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
What other devices do you have Trev?

If it's just a phone and maybe a computer maybe it's time to buy an Xbox One, then you would have a reason to download Smartglass and buy the UK TV dongle, then you can forget about losing faith and you will have a combo you can show off to all your friends :wink:

Bob (Don't worry folks I will stop signing all my posts with my name after a bit of work this weekend)

wpfan1958

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
What? First of all, the app situation has gotten a lot better. And what is wrong with the Twitter app?

Second of all, Microsoft is not abandoning anything. Windows 10 makes it pretty clear they're in this 110%.

But please, just leave if you can't handle this phantom abandonment and non-existent increase in apps.

I know the quantity of apps has increased. But the quality is still way below the corresponding android and ios apps. Music player? videos? The latest office apps in ios and android are way better than windows phone apps. Microsoft should be releasing improved office apps on windows phones first.

About the twitter app. Since I started using my lumia twitter has been updated once or twice( In the last 15 months). I think you havent used twitter in other platforms. It has poor UI, the search is bad. Notifications are late, and the app is laggy. It will take a lot of clicks to even go to the profile of a person you follow. There is not even a single decent free alternative to the official app.

47f9ad0f-01ee-4f31-b9c8-450b00510445.pngscreen322x572.jpeg

Just look at these and tell me what you see.

Last edited:

Blu3V3nom07

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I've doubled down now. I've now ordered a Lumia 521 from my warranty plan from T-Mobile to replace my 3 year old HTC Radar. So now I can hold out until next year and get a Windows 10 phone in June or less, or until I give a fudge. There's nothing going to get me to switch over to any other OS, thank you very much. I already have my Samsung Tab 4 tablet for browsing and comics as it is.

Pranshul Sood

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
i would like to say something tp everyone who is losing faith in windows phone. Dont believe in the present windows Phone.Keep Faith in the potential of the Windows Phone. :) These Fandroids and isheep will come running to windows phone. Please be a little patient as this OS is emerging to be an underdog 😊

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

You have obviously not used all Microsoft apps if you think all are better on other platforms. Only a handful of apps are demonstrably better. Some do not even exist and most others are no more than comparable. I will also take Microsoft's business apps, Office 365 admin controls, Remote Desktop, and the ability to control my Server 2012 R2 server over anything Android offers as an alternative. All also come without giving Google unfettered access to my data and identity.

trev81uk

May 28, 2014
Visit site

Borrow a friends Android or iPhone and take a look at their Twitter app! It looks good and functions well,

trev81uk

May 28, 2014
Visit site

If Microsoft had had a decent flagship ready, I might had bought it. But at this point I'm on the verge to jump over to Android. I couldn't even recommend my wife a Lumia at the moment. There are several fashion related apps which won't come anytime soon to Windows phone.

In addition, phones like the Moto G 2nd generation have a great value for money and lollipop is guaranteed.

The old argument about the ecosystem is now a farce. I could switch to Android and would lose not a single Microsoft app and all apps would be superior to what I get on Windows Phone. In addition they will even get faster updates.

The only wildcard is Cortana. But it is only a question of time until they make it available for Android and iPhone.

I'm VERY disappointed in Microsoft. Don't forget: Windows 10 is still ~9 months away and will have to fight against Android Mango Smoothie and IOS 9. And chances are that it will be a typical 1.0 product and we will have to wait for 10.1 for the fixes.

come on Microsoft, throw us a bone!

Yeah I've been looking at the Moto G 4G, which I can do an Anytime Upgrade on for an extra ?1 per month to my contract. However, I'm gonna add a spanner in to the works now - my impending work phone is...

....a Lumia 930. Which for me begs, the question, do I really want to be carrying two smartphones around, especially when I can use my work phone for personal use too! Ha ha, typical that work would give me a Lumia - maybe it's a sign! :)

Cortana for me isn't a big deal, the UK version is poor and since installing it, I've now switched it off.

trev81uk

May 28, 2014
Visit site
What other devices do you have Trev?

If it's just a phone and maybe a computer maybe it's time to buy an Xbox One, then you would have a reason to download Smartglass and buy the UK TV dongle, then you can forget about losing faith and you will have a combo you can show off to all your friends :wink:

Bob (Don't worry folks I will stop signing all my posts with my name after a bit of work this weekend)

Ha ha, with a 6 month old in the house and a wedding to pay for I'm not sure the future wife would approve the purchase of an Xbox One. I like your thinking though ;-)

trev81uk

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I know the quantity of apps has increased. But the quality is still way below the corresponding android and ios apps. Music player? videos? The latest office apps in ios and android are way better than windows phone apps. Microsoft should be releasing improved office apps on windows phones first.

About the twitter app. Since I started using my lumia twitter has been updated once or twice( In the last 15 months). I think you havent used twitter in other platforms. It has poor UI, the search is bad. Notifications are late, and the app is laggy. It will take a lot of clicks to even go to the profile of a person you follow. There is not even a single decent free alternative to the official app.

View attachment 86901View attachment 86902

Just look at these and tell me what you see.

Totally agree, one of the issues is there isn't an alternative on WP if you don't like the Twitter app (the ones suggested in this thread are either not available in the UK or are not free). I've stopped using the app, and now use the mobile site instead.

trev81uk

May 28, 2014
Visit site
i would like to say something tp everyone who is losing faith in windows phone. Dont believe in the present windows Phone.Keep Faith in the potential of the Windows Phone. :) These Fandroids and isheep will come running to windows phone. Please be a little patient as this OS is emerging to be an underdog ��

I like your sentiment and optimism, but can't see it happening!

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

😞 come on Microsoft, throw us a bone!

The whole grass is greener assumption around here is getting quite annoying of late. Android's only real advantages are the breadth of the app ecosystem and that there are more device options. Beyond they, it is simply untrue that all Microsoft apps exist on android and equally untrue that all that do exist are better. Likewise, there are precious few Android devices that are guaranteed updates and claiming the next Microsoft OS will be a 1.0 effort is a bad joke since Google's open source OS still has beta level holes in version 5.0 and it still inspires companies to apply skins and launchers. it is also ironic that both Google and Apple are currently embracing UI design concepts that follow Microsoft's lead, not the other way around. Use whatever you like but grounding in reality would also be appreciated. Android is not some sort of OS nirvana and Google's record regarding updates to stock OS versions is neither faster nor more efficient for most devices in carrier controlled environments. Throw in Google's policies on data ownership and privacy and I would take any other platform.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
people keep comparing it with ios and androids stuff but forget that most of the pros of windows phone are the cons of competing platforms
on the whole windows phone is overall a better "phone" OS than android and ios in a lot of ways
who cares if we dont get the same amount of apps(and malware :D ) as other platforms or a "resuming/loading" screen?windows phone makes up for it with rich quality apps such as Here,Office(which is arguably best on WP imho),Facebook is terrible on all platforms but its better on WP than on ios any day and battery life is the best on WP

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
i would like to say something tp everyone who is losing faith in windows phone. Dont believe in the present windows Phone.Keep Faith in the potential of the Windows Phone. :) These Fandroids and isheep will come running to windows phone. Please be a little patient as this OS is emerging to be an underdog ��

None of the mobile operating systems merit use of the word faith. They are not belief systems, just operating systems controlling inanimate objects. People should choose whatever works best for their need and insulting labels should be considered inappropriate in discourse in any civilized society. I loathe Google and am not fond of Apple's UI but that does not give me the right to toss insulting labels at the users who make up 90+ percent of the market, nor for that matter the 2 percent using BB devices.

trev81uk

May 28, 2014
Visit site
people keep comparing it with ios and androids stuff but forget that most of the pros of windows phone are the cons of competing platforms
on the whole windows phone is overall a better "phone" OS than android and ios in a lot of ways
who cares if we dont get the same amount of apps(and malware :D ) as other platforms or a "resuming/loading" screen?windows phone makes up for it with rich quality apps such as Here,Office(which is arguably best on WP imho),Facebook is terrible on all platforms but its better on WP than on ios any day and battery life is the best on WP

Good call! Definitely forgetting about the positives here, Nokia MixRadio, Here Drive and Maps, and a feature rich Office!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans