Losing faith...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munter2

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
I was thinking about going back to Android myself when Quicken didn't release a WP app for their 2015 version. I went so far as to watch videos on operating the 2014 Moto X. Just watching a couple of different guys running the operating system on the phone did it for me. I was reminded why I can't go back to Android. I just plain don't like the screens and the way the system functions. I didn't like it when I got an HTC MyTouch Slide back 3 or 4 years ago, never liked the way it operated then, and the system looks the same now. I can't go back to that. I guess I need to look at I-Phones.

AJS_2010

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
About the twitter app. Since I started using my lumia twitter has been updated once or twice( In the last 15 months). I think you havent used twitter in other platforms. It has poor UI, the search is bad. Notifications are late, and the app is laggy. It will take a lot of clicks to even go to the profile of a person you follow. There is not even a single decent free alternative to the official app.

View attachment 86901View attachment 86902

Just look at these and tell me what you see.
There is a better twitter app. , tweetium . In beta stages, get frequent updates and the developer is one of the few who actually answer your questions and PC version beats any twitter app I know of.

wpfan1958

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
The whole grass is greener assumption around here is getting quite annoying of late. Android's only real advantages are the breadth of the app ecosystem and that there are more device options. Beyond they, it is simply untrue that all Microsoft apps exist on android and equally untrue that all that do exist are better. Likewise, there are precious few Android devices that are guaranteed updates and claiming the next Microsoft OS will be a 1.0 effort is a bad joke since Google's open source OS still has beta level holes in version 5.0 and it still inspires companies to apply skins and launchers. it is also ironic that both Google and Apple are currently embracing UI design concepts that follow Microsoft's lead, not the other way around. Use whatever you like but grounding in reality would also be appreciated. Android is not some sort of OS nirvana and Google's record regarding updates to stock OS versions is neither faster nor more efficient for most devices in carrier controlled environments. Throw in Google's policies on data ownership and privacy and I would take any other platform.

The reason i choose WP over android is because of the laggy os itself. WP was way smoother and fluid as an OS and still is. I absolutely love it. But android is changing with the latest versions and fast catching up in the OS department. Whereas windows phone still lags in the app quality.We dont have any google apps. Many major games. Nt a huge problem. But we should be given proper basic apps like Music and Twitter.

Tweetium seems to be good. But is massively overpriced and requires pro subscription even for notifications.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I've been on WP since the Trophy and WP7 and have gotten a lot of people to use WP. I've used many windows phones, including the Icon and HTC M8. I can live without a lot of apps. I like the look of WP and it has some really nicely looking apps. But... I'm on Verizon and obviously, they have issues with WP. I started using an android last week, a Droid Maxx. It's pretty impressive and I love the battery life. Nothing like that on WP except for the 1520. Android is very nice, looks good, pretty smooth (not as smooth on the Maxx, but the LG G2 is as smooth). I don't like the ads on android and would rather pay for apps than have ads, but that isn't an option on many. If WP on Verizon had a good, up-to-date software phone with great battery life, I would probably use it. Til then, I'm on Android.

AJS_2010

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
The live tile on tweetium still updates you. If you buy the pc version the beta version for the mobile is free. I got the pro version and overall its right up there with the droid and ios twitter apps. Plus gets updates regularly

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, I've got to admit I'm beginning to get frustrated with Windows Phone. You'll see from my previous posts that I have been a big supporter ever since coming on board, but things are slowly beginning to frustrate me, none more the continued lack of app choice and support.
For example, the facebook app I very poor, lacking many many features from other platforms, the same with Twitter. A poor app I can understand, but no one is creating alternate apps for WP such as Tweetdeck.
It's not just apps either, a once stable OS had now become the opposite since the release of 8.1 and subsequent updates, live tiles don't update, and toast notifications are inconsistent.

Anyway, rant over. Can anyone reinstate my faith or are people feeling the same. I may be getting desperate and consider moving over to Android.

I feel the same. Windows 10 is where the efforts of MS are really at, that OS when its out will be able to take the fight to Google and Apple. As it is right now the officially released WP OS (im in UK so don't even have update 1 yet) is a joke when compared with Kitkat and Lolipop will smash Update 2 out of the park in terms of features. The hardware is not comparable to Android either with the Samsung S5 beating anything WP has to offer. However... Many people like myself hate Google, their privacy/add policy sucks. iOS is an old ring-fenced system that has one thing going for it and that is Apps. As soon as contract is up im getting an iPhone 6, as soon as Windows 10 devices are out im selling said iPhone and buying the latest Windows device. I have been patient and understanding. I will be back!

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
It's not stable because you're on Dev Preview... I used Nokia Software Recovery Tool, and now its just as stable as 8.0 was.
Don't know your situation (or whoever you were talking to) but if you were on DP because you have a carrier dragging their feet, I thought the DP versions were the same as what non-DPers had in their non-carrier phones. In theory DP shouldn't be a factor in stability unless you are using something that hasn't been rolled out to any non-DPers with your phone yet. So people need to say which group they are in when talking about DP.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Sick of all these "woe is me" posts... How about you make some constructive feedback? Go to user voice and suggest improvements.

And if you don't want to help make this a successful platform, go get a different phone. No one cares about people "losing faith". It's a phone for Christ's sake... Switch to something else that works for you if you can't hack it...

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Sick of all these "woe is me" posts... How about you make some constructive feedback? Go to user voice and suggest improvements.

And if you don't want to help make this a successful platform, go get a different phone. No one cares about people "losing faith". It's a phone for Christ's sake... Switch to something else that works for you if you can't hack it...

Uhh.. Did you even read the post?

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
That would be fine if Microsoft actually listened to feedback instead of grudgingly giving in when it's blatantly obvious that the "new" features should have been there from the start. Beta testers repeatedly told them that not allowing desktop users to boot straight to the desktop in Windows 8 was a huge mistake. Did they listen? No. People have been screaming for gapless playback for years. Do we have it? No. People have been complaining about the senseless organization of the settings menu for years? Has it been fixed? No.

It's perfectly obvious that Microsoft has no idea what they're doing. If Windows Phone was an independent start up company, they would have gone bankrupt the first year. Same with the Surface group. The ONLY reason WP is still alive is because of the Office and Server revenue streams. Period. If Nadella is half as bright as he is said to be, he would fire Joe Belfiore right now. But they just promoted him so he can f**k up desktop Windows, too. I take that back. Nadella would sell off the phone and tablet divisions, and focus on the only thing Microsoft can apparently do with any competence: write software. And with the recent push to establish Office on iOS and Android, it looks like that's exactly what he's probably going to do. Windows Phone, Windows 8, and the Surface have been an absolute disaster for Microsoft. An utter embarrassment.
You would consider Windows Phone "an utter embarrassment"? Why? Because of lack of apps? The office thing? Or something else?

See, because if you are going to **** all over MSFT for its mobile division, you sure as hell better save some of that righteous indignation for Android/Google for its inability for it's o/s to be lag free over time, or iOS for not innovating and being stuck with static "Windows 3.1" look since its inception.

And about the Office thing: if you made a product that everyone wanted, would you just sell that product to your family and friends? Or would you sell to everyone you can? Because one way makes you look like an *****, and the other makes you rich.

racolclough

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Losing faith..... , not yet, but if Microsoft announce that Windows 10 will not run on existing phones, which they've done every time the OS number increases, then yes I will lose faith. Until then I'll not be buying a newer phone. As for apps, why should anyone invest time in a system that might not even exist in 6 months.. We don't need another OS6-7 and 7-8 repeat.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Losing faith..... , not yet, but if Microsoft announce that Windows 10 will not run on existing phones, which they've done every time the OS number increases, then yes I will lose faith. Until then I'll not be buying a newer phone. As for apps, why should anyone invest time in a system that might not even exist in 6 months.. We don't need another OS6-7 and 7-8 repeat.

Lol, the only reason existing phones wouldn't get W10 is if the carriers neglect to push out the update. People need to stop freaking out about this.

Microsoft had very good reasons to not update the previous older versions. Not here though.

And why is it ok that you can buy an Android phone and not receive any updates after 6 months. But damned if MS doesn't update phones based on a 2+ year version.

racolclough

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Android phones may not get OS updates, but the apps still work and new apps are developed that will work. How many new WP7 apps have been released sine WP8?

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
You would consider Windows Phone "an utter embarrassment"? Why? Because of lack of apps? The office thing? Or something else?

See, because if you are going to **** all over MSFT for its mobile division, you sure as hell better save some of that righteous indignation for Android/Google for its inability for it's o/s to be lag free over time, or iOS for not innovating and being stuck with static "Windows 3.1" look since its inception.

And about the Office thing: if you made a product that everyone wanted, would you just sell that product to your family and friends? Or would you sell to everyone you can? Because one way makes you look like an *****, and the other makes you rich.

The lag problem has been pretty much solved with KitKat and Lollipop. It's more of a problem with Samsung's awful bloatware. Motorola's (Lenovo now) latest phones don't have that problem.

And let's not try to rewrite history pertaining to Office. Microsoft sat on Office to make it an exclusive for the Surface, and it blew up in their faces. They should have been making iOS and Android versions from the moment it was obvious that tablets weren't going to be a fad. They could have saved the nicest features for their own platform, but that was billions in lost revenue. Sure, they're doing it now, but that was not the original plan. Not by a long shot, so let's not pretend it was. And to add insult to injury, there's STILL no Metro version available, and won't be until next year. Office for iPad is available RIGHT NOW, and it's not the desktop version on a 10" screen. It's a full touch friendly, optimized touch interface. Unbelievable.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
The lag problem has been pretty much solved with KitKat and Lollipop. It's more of a problem with Samsung's awful bloatware. Motorola's (Lenovo now) latest phones don't have that problem.

And let's not try to rewrite history pertaining to Office. Microsoft sat on Office to make it an exclusive for the Surface, and it blew up in their faces. They should have been making iOS and Android versions from the moment it was obvious that tablets weren't going to be a fad. They could have saved the nicest features for their own platform, but that was billions in lost revenue. Sure, they're doing it now, but that was not the original plan. Not by a long shot, so let's not pretend it was. And to add insult to injury, there's STILL no Metro version available, and won't be until next year. Office for iPad is available RIGHT NOW, and it's not the desktop version on a 10" screen. It's a full touch friendly, optimized touch interface. Unbelievable.
At least they are ******* doing it now! Stop being so ungrateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro