Community App Fund - how we can make the difference

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
It seems to me the lone (semi-valid) remaining complaint from WP users is the lack of certain apps. Additionally, the complaint is the apps we do have are not always updated as frequently as their iOS/Android cousins.

What if we, as a community, put our money where our mouth is and start a community app fund (not sure of the logistics yet, ideas?).

Essentially, we create the fund, we vote on the apps we need, developers bid for the "job" and we make it happen.

Let's stop complaining, hoping, "waiting" for apps and take matters into our own hands. This can only serve to do two things!

1) It gets us the apps we want (or need)
2) It will make Windows Phone that much more appealing, thereby increasing usership and eventually the apps will occur more naturally.

I'd venture to guess that if just each WP user donated $1-$5 bucks, we could have a sizable pot to be drawing developers in.

Am I crazy?

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
What we're talking about here is independent apps to fill a void where there is no official app existing, such as various banks, stores, restaurants and such, right?

Here's one potential problem. If an independent developer makes an app that's any good because there is no official app, there is a good possibility that the app gets taken down by the company and the developer gets harassed by lawyers, even though the company still have no plans to make one. Reference "MyBucks". We should be up in arms over that one and many others.

I myself have a few apps ready to go but have been bitten by this before so I am hesitant to get bitten again. I still have yet to hear an answer of how exactly, if I make it easier for a company's customers to spend money with that company, does it constitute "harm" to that company. You'd think they'd be happy about that but no.

Don't get me wrong, I still would donate to such a cause and I think it's a great idea.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Here's one potential problem. If an independent developer makes an app that's any good because there is no official app, there is a good possibility that the app gets taken down by the company and the developer gets harassed by lawyers, even though the company still have no plans to make one. Reference "MyBucks". We should be up in arms over that one and many others.

I myself have a few apps ready to go but have been bitten by this before.

Don't get me wrong, I still would donate to such a cause and I think it's a great idea.

Yes, I worried about this aspect myself. I suppose one idea would be to have a membership to this "community fund" that could reach out to companies, showcasing our numbers, money and desire to have their app on our platform. We'll pay via our fund to get it on there and maintain it and let them take all the credit (with obviously some credit to the developers).

Maybe that's a pipe dream - but if we had a sizeable fund (think a venture capital group) and membership it would at least make a statement...

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I would like to get a site setup (perhaps some promotion from WPCentral?) where users can sign up, donate, and promote/vote on desired apps.

Obviously I would like some help with this so that people can trust that they're money is going to go to the cause!

Ezhik

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
You're really desperate, aren't you?

And if anything, its Microsoft that should be putting this kind of a fund out. But if they aren't that interested in Windows Phone's future (Office for iPhone, anyone?), I don't see why would any other developers be.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I take the position that if a company refuses to support WP, not an unreasonable request, then I don't support them. There is no app in the world that is so crucial that I have to have it so if its not on WP I just don't care about it. I don't need to be popular or fit in with any group and if these things mean so much it would make more sense to switch to a platform that does have all the apps you want.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
You're really desperate, aren't you?

And if anything, its Microsoft that should be putting this kind of a fund out. But if they aren't that interested in Windows Phone's future (Office for iPhone, anyone?), I don't see why would any other developers be.

Desperate? No...
Taking matters into my own hands? Yes..

Microsoft HAS put up these kinds of funds and they HAVE resulted in some big name apps making their way to WP. Are they flawless? No, but they're there.

We keep hearing about the chicken and the egg problem. Well, let's eliminate it. Let's get the damn apps out there and shut up the noise. Then MS can focus on improving the OS and not getting apps... because it will happen naturally with users.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I just don't think we are supposed to be solving Microsoft's problems.

It's their problem to perfect the OS - not get developers to make apps. That's the responsibility of users demanding developers (or enticing them in this case) to create them.

Obviously for WP to succeed it's in Microsoft's interest to also be doing what I propose - but why can't we augment it?

Ozzy1320

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I see the loyalty and commitment but there seems to be a much bigger picture at play here then just the apps. I think that MS has failed establish presences somewhere along the lines and didn't set up a proper plan of attack when it comes to there mobile status, there making deals and for some reason those deals are not following through when it comes to vendors delivering and promoting for some very strange reason, I have seen and herd it around the forums many of times. An example I live Europe I'm kind of tech junkie I have taken a liking to there mobile products but for some strange reason when ever I walk into a mobile shop and ask for anything along the lines of Nokia/Windows phone the shop agent looks at me like I'm nuts, or says "we don't carry those old brands" in extreme cases he/she would say "what is Lumia?" He/she doesn't even have a clue. In big name stores such as Media Markt I see a section for IPhone a section for Samsung phones and then there is the "Rack" you know where all the mobile devices line up in no particular order but well in fashion. Next to the gaming consoles there is a 1520 on a pedestal next to a bunch of gaming consoles on the other side of the store. Why? All and all, if MS doesn't make sure there brand of mobile devices are being properly promoted then our support and push falls on deaf ears. I don't know about you guys but PR for MS and there mobile brand is not up to par here in the Netherlands which is pretty sad considering how every household knows about windows since the days of XP and of Nokia. "If MS doesn't step up and go for gold why should I." MS is not throwing there muscle around which everyone here knows they have which only leads me to think there is probably some other agenda that they are focused on, maybe I'm wrong please correct if I am but if they really wanted to give the other two big boys a run for there money they can.

Ezhik

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
It's their problem to perfect the OS - not get developers to make apps. That's the responsibility of users demanding developers (or enticing them in this case) to create them.

Obviously for WP to succeed it's in Microsoft's interest to also be doing what I propose - but why can't we augment it?
The only responsibility I have as a user is charging my phone every night.

I don't know about you, but I went with a Windows Phone not because I wanted to join some sect with weekly protests at developer HQs, but because I thought the OS had potential.

That was three years ago.

None of that potential materialized. And I have no desire to help an ecosystem that its owner does not carry for.

The only player that can pull Windows Phone out of the slump it is in is Microsoft - by bundling a Lumia phone with every Xbox purchase, if they have to. The fans do not owe Microsoft anything, and not only that, they will not achieve anything. Face it, the share of Windows Phone fans is miniscule. Most of the people who bought a Windows Phone got one because it was a Nokia and it was cheap.

And imagine how much smaller the share will get when you only consider the people who would donate to such a site.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
The only responsibility I have as a user is charging my phone every night.

I don't know about you, but I went with a Windows Phone not because I wanted to join some sect with weekly protests at developer HQs, but because I thought the OS had potential.

That was three years ago.

None of that potential materialized. And I have no desire to help an ecosystem that its owner does not carry for.

The only player that can pull Windows Phone out of the slump it is in is Microsoft - by bundling a Lumia phone with every Xbox purchase, if they have to. The fans do not owe Microsoft anything, and not only that, they will not achieve anything. Face it, the share of Windows Phone fans is miniscule. Most of the people who bought a Windows Phone got one because it was a Nokia and it was cheap.

And imagine how much smaller the share will get when you only consider the people who would donate to such a site.

Debby downer over here ... lol

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
It's sad that we're reduced to this idea even needing to be thought up!

Ezhik is right, it's not something we should have to consider. Microsoft should be leading by example.

Which I guess they are; they're putting Android and iOS as a priority OVER Windows Phone. And so is nearly every other developer/company.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon