Is it possible to backup and restore Start Screen?

MBY

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Way back in April there was a post on W(P)C that said that backing up and restoring the start screen would be possible in WP 8.1. Does anyone know if this feature is present? How do you access it? Can you use together with hard-resetting your phone? And is it useable with the 8.1 DP (which I'm currently on)?

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: Backu and restore Start Screen

Yes its present in DP/wp8.1. To use that feature, make sure all of your sync settings are on and then do a backup. Hard reset the phone and once you enter your MS acct, select the backup you just performed.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I am interested in this - but without a hard reset - anotherwords - I want to just backup the layout of my tiles, and background. I am contemplating an experiment with the #TileArt app, and re-configuring my start screen, but if I don't like it, id really want to be able to just restore my tile layout, and not have to go through a full hard reset / restore. Does anyone know if this is possible?

It is basically like having multiple desktops - multiple start screen layouts, etc. Say, im in the mood for a red theme, or I want to have my family photo in the background, or if I want transparency, or no transparency. There should be a way to easily restore start screen layouts - can an app be made to do this, is this a system possibility?

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I am interested in this - but without a hard reset - anotherwords - I want to just backup the layout of my tiles, and background. I am contemplating an experiment with the #TileArt app, and re-configuring my start screen, but if I don't like it, id really want to be able to just restore my tile layout, and not have to go through a full hard reset / restore. Does anyone know if this is possible?

It is basically like having multiple desktops - multiple start screen layouts, etc. Say, im in the mood for a red theme, or I want to have my family photo in the background, or if I want transparency, or no transparency. There should be a way to easily restore start screen layouts - can an app be made to do this, is this a system possibility?

You cannot RESTORE just the Start Screen.The only opportunity for a System Restore is after a hard reset.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I can confirm that a backup does include the Start Screen, as I competed a HARD reset yesterday and nearly everything came back as was (all except AMEX app & game saves :crying:)

I'm running Win8.1 Update 1.

G.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss