Way back in April there was a post on W(P)C that said that backing up and restoring the start screen would be possible in WP 8.1. Does anyone know if this feature is present? How do you access it? Can you use together with hard-resetting your phone? And is it useable with the 8.1 DP (which I'm currently on)?
    11-08-2014 05:22 PM
    Yes its present in DP/wp8.1. To use that feature, make sure all of your sync settings are on and then do a backup. Hard reset the phone and once you enter your MS acct, select the backup you just performed.
    Yes its present in DP/wp8.1. To use that feature, make sure all of your sync settings are on and then do a backup. Hard reset the phone and once you enter your MS acct, select the backup you just performed.
    Laura Knotek and xandros9 like this.
    11-08-2014 05:41 PM
    I am interested in this - but without a hard reset - anotherwords - I want to just backup the layout of my tiles, and background. I am contemplating an experiment with the #TileArt app, and re-configuring my start screen, but if I don't like it, id really want to be able to just restore my tile layout, and not have to go through a full hard reset / restore. Does anyone know if this is possible?

It is basically like having multiple desktops - multiple start screen layouts, etc. Say, im in the mood for a red theme, or I want to have my family photo in the background, or if I want transparency, or no transparency. There should be a way to easily restore start screen layouts - can an app be made to do this, is this a system possibility?
    02-10-2015 10:24 AM
    I am interested in this - but without a hard reset - anotherwords - I want to just backup the layout of my tiles, and background. I am contemplating an experiment with the #TileArt app, and re-configuring my start screen, but if I don't like it, id really want to be able to just restore my tile layout, and not have to go through a full hard reset / restore. Does anyone know if this is possible?

It is basically like having multiple desktops - multiple start screen layouts, etc. Say, im in the mood for a red theme, or I want to have my family photo in the background, or if I want transparency, or no transparency. There should be a way to easily restore start screen layouts - can an app be made to do this, is this a system possibility?
    You cannot RESTORE just the Start Screen.The only opportunity for a System Restore is after a hard reset.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    02-10-2015 01:30 PM
    You cannot RESTORE just the Start Screen.The only opportunity for a System Restore is after a hard reset.
    Thanks - this is unfortunate - going to uservoice to submit this request in W10 immediately.
    02-10-2015 04:04 PM
    I can confirm that a backup does include the Start Screen, as I competed a HARD reset yesterday and nearly everything came back as was (all except AMEX app & game saves )

I'm running Win8.1 Update 1.

G.
    02-11-2015 11:04 AM