Access files on Windows Phone 8 device from a PC

jmcarrillo

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I currently have a Windows Phone 7.5 device which I sync with Zune. A friend of mine has a Windows Phone 8.1 device with some pics and vids that I'd like to have. I connected his phone to my computer and tried to access the phone like an external drive but that didn't work. I then tried to sync my computer with his phone using Zune, but that didn't work either. How can I access those files?

sanjeet_deshwal

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Simply plug data cable (usb cable)
And windows phone device appear on computer and further you can easily access all data available on phone
If you are using wp8.1

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Copy paste those photos onto your PC, sync those photos/videos using Zune. WP7.x does not support USB mass storage like 8.x does

jmcarrillo

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I tried the data cable option that didnt work. I'm using a Windows 8 computer, but it doesn't recognise the phone. Is there a setting on the phone to put it into USB Mass storage mode?

dpaynewp

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Just a minor point, using the data cable my phone is not recognized until I enter my password on the lock screen and open the phone. I'm sure you've tried this, but just in case...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Easiest answer... On your friend's phone, use Storage Sense to unmount the card. Power down the phone and remove the card. Insert the card into a card reader hooked up to your computer.

The causes of drivers not loading or not working are varied. It could be your computer has USB drivers installed that it thinks match, but don't. It could be the pin setup on the cable you are using. It could be the dual nature of the storage (internal + SD) reaches some total that renders the device blind to your USB...

There is a USB mode that has a checkbox for allowing data passthrough under the Settings in WP 8.1

You could try USDdeview to clean out the USB drivers and try to get a fresh install when plugging the WP 8.1 device into your computer. It's solved a lot of device read errors for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss