Official vs DEV updates

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi
I guess the answer is very simple...

In the DEV preview, you always have the latest OS update. Of course...
But when do the normal users get it, with participating in the preview? Just with the GDR updates?
That would be the logical way for me.
The annoying thing is that if i get the "latest" OS version with any GDR update, its outdated by months until it will install on my phone (you, carriers, delay, etc....).

Anyway...if DEV preview is now on lets say 8.1.15000, and they say they release a new GDR update NOW, it would be 8.1.15000.

sorry, im a bit drunk. Maybe i wake up in the morning and thing WTF?!?

Sodikin Gross

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I think your problem is simple: You are a Lumia user and you compare developer and consumer version of the Windows Phone. You can choose one of the two. But someone like me who is not a Lumia user, well I have a Huawei Ascend W1-C00, it is a must to be the developer, in case I am not, but there is no kind of "official" update delievered. So I stand on dev side. 😊

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Well, the only difference between Lumia and other devices is the firmware (cyan, denim...).
The fact that you dont get official updates is your manufacturer, Huawei :)

I just try to understand the way updates get delivered, and how far i am behind when im not using DEV Preview / when i get the LATEST updates (i know i wont ever get latest updates due to carrier delay...)

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I need my phone for work, so I don't use DEV because I want it to stay stable, I cant risk an update and then spend a day resetting everything if something goes wrong...it is still a preivew, so there is a risk...

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
When they release it officially, its not really the latest version but to the ordinary consumer who's never heard of the dev preview its as latest as it gets.

Btw, you shouldn't have told us you're drunk. Now I keep imagining you slurring your words as I'm reading. Lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos