Direct WiFi file transfer between WP8.1 phones and Laptops

rpkay

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Use shareit for WP 8.1 it can now transfer all types of files.The desktop edition has the ability to create hotspot, so no need of internet.It can even use to share files between two laptops. Tested it right now.

simplex1

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
You can turn off your data connection once you've turned on internet sharing. It will still work as intended. The missing documents folder is a drawback but not a major one in my case because I keep documents on SD card.

And no, you don't need a router to use Easy Transfer. Just a sim in your phone.
In my case the most I can do is to put an inactive SIM in my phone, the SIM I bought together with the phone, which does not have any number assigned to it and for the time being, for personal reasons, I will not buy a phone number. Will "Easy Transfer" work in such conditions as a WiFi Direct phone <---> computer file transfer application, without the need of a router?

simplex1

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I have downloaded SHAREit for both Windows phones and Windows laptops. Both available versions are Beta.
SHAREit is a bit complicated. You have to take care to set the phone in "sender mode" and the laptop in "receiver mode". It would be nice if a list of SHAREit enable devices appears, from the beginning, on the screen of your sending device and after that you select which device is the one that you want to send files to. A message like "Device not yet in "receiver mode". Please set it accordingly"" should be displayed on the screen of your device that sends the files.
Secondly, I can send only pictures from my phone to the laptop and no other formats.
SHAREit, as it is now, stays definitely below "Easy Transfer".

rpkay

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
You have downloaded share it for WP 8,there is a WP 8.1 app which can transfer any files(it can be found from a message in wp8 app)
It can be used offline
Once you have transfer anything,no need to open receive again it will automatically start to transfer.

rpkay

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Tap on the message icon in beta version

Attachments

• 97142db4-19d1-48fe-a02e-41689c2de4c2_TapatalkEditedImage.jpg
    97142db4-19d1-48fe-a02e-41689c2de4c2_TapatalkEditedImage.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 4
  • wp_ss_20141130_0002.png
    wp_ss_20141130_0002.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 5

simplex1

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Tap on the message icon in beta version
I followed you instruction and finally transferred a few test files (.zip, .pdf, .doc .jpg) between the phone and computer and also between the computer and the phone. It worked but SHAREit has many problems.
For example:

The screen of the phone shows:
In Transmitting ...
WP_20140205_17... (a picture file)
--------------------------
330.88 KB Done 100%

The computer displays:
WP_20140205_1... 96%
Network error 331 KB

I can see the transferred picture on my laptop. It looks like it was received correctly not just 96%!

Something else, there is a "<" placed top left on the phone screen. If I press this"<" I get a message in Chinese not English.

rpkay

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Consider the fact that,it's in beta they are adding more features, correcting bugs.Yes, I also saw that notification in chinese, emailed them about the concern. Like easy transfer ,currently there is no background transfer so don't minimize the app, that will cause error.

manomic

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I know of a LAN file transfer tool, that is cross platform, from the Symbian days. It is now available for WP8.1 and is free. The app is called Dukto and the latest version is R6. It can be used to transfer files between Win, OSX, Linux, Android and WP. I have used it on WP, Symbian and windows. The transfer rate is about 2MBs/s. It can transfer Files/Folders/text. It has a client for each of the OSes mentioned above and as long as they are in the same LAN network they are automatically identified. On windows, the file/folder transfer is as simple as drag and drop. The data will be copied over into the folder mentioned in the app in the target. The official web page is Raw material | Emanuele Colombo's blog
WP app can be found in: Dukto | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster