How do you manage your volume in WP8.1?

Brenzef

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

There is one thing that I can't figure out and that is how to automatically manage the phone volume.
I have to manually turn it up and down every day because there seems no app or built in function that do that for me.
All phones I owned in the past have this, but my 620 does not.
There were some apps available but none of them seem to work anymore since the update to 8.1.
There also seems to be a function in Cortana that allows you to configure quiet hours, but most countries don't have Cortana (and neither do I) so this function is unavailable.

Any ideas? Do I miss something?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
You're right that there seems to be no app that automatically controls the volume of the Windows Phone.

I've read that in one of the recent updates, users can configure Quiet Hours even without having Cortana in Settings > Quiet Hours. Nonetheless, you can "get" Cortana by changing your phone region to "United States" and restarting your phone. Once your phone goes back on, you should see Cortana in the App List.

kepner198

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Quiet Hours is very nice, and can automatically activate when you have a calendar appointment, and/or on a regular daily schedule. Not sure why it has to be tied to Cortana though.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Currently windows phone doesn't have built-in support for profiles which is what I presume you are looking for and with wp8.1 / cyan we now have three independent volume controls whereas previous we had two - in call volume and a system wide volume control. The latter has been split into two volume controls for alerts (Ringer & Notifications) & music, games + apps (Media & Apps).

You have three options until developers can figure out how to tap into the new volume control, I imagine Microsoft needs to simply things on their end otherwise there would have been plenty of apps by now and Volume by Enless / Volume manager by Vinod Shinde would have been updated to support wp 8.1:

A) find the right balance that works for you

B) Download ringtone maker by Microsoft and create custom tones or if you want pre-created tones try Melodia.

C) This is abit more technical, set custom tones & edit said tones in a freeware sound editor i.e audacity to increase or decrease volume. Custom tones need to be placed in the ring tones folder in your phone the easiest way is via drag 'n drop over a usb cable (best use the .mp3 format not .wav).

Brenzef

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I already thought that developers did not yet find a way to manage the volume automatically and this needs time.
A bit weird though that you need to set your phones language to another language than your native one to be able to use such basic functionality.
Anyway it seems there is no solution for this and work to do for Microsoft to built it in.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs