WP8.1 VPN connectivity problems for certain apps

JC_Yang

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I don't know whether this forum is the best place to call the attention from Microsoft for this bug, since I personally rate this a critical one, if you know where can better contact them, please let me know.

Now here are the details. I have setup my own VPN server(strongswan) and successfully make it tunnel all the traffics from my two Lumias those both with 8.1 Cyan installed and using certificate to connect(I may write down a complete guide sometimes in the future). Everything seems ok now, most apps works fine and IKEv2 provides pretty awesome experiences when you switch between wifi/celluar/airplane-mode. But one critical problem come up immediately. Some apps do not work through the VPN tunnel as expected. For example, the MSN News app from Microsoft, the title will indicate it's offline(becomes 'MSN News(Offline)'), and it can't load any non-cache content, says no Internet connection. Then I found this archived thread from google(I can't post link yet, google ?metro app vpn connection? and the fifth result which from networksteve.com contains many complaints), that indicate this is probably a bug inherit from Windows 8/8.1 code base that's shared by WP8.1 right now. But since WP8.1 is not Windows 8.1, we don't have much access to the underlining network adapter states, and far less setup options we can make to it, so can you, Microsoft people please fix this annoying bug for us?

Last edited:

Whiner

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same issue. My VPN provider is PureVPN.
Apps not working for me are Microsoft's MSN Money and Fitbit.

sip dekker

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Same issue and so far no solution. I have VPN services such as HMA and Astrill. Both work on phone but eg spotify, MSN news, sports etc indicate that you are offline

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
You need to make sure your split-tunnel stuff is set up properly, i.e. which subnets get tunneled and which don't. If you want it all tunneled then you need to make sure your traffic can get back out of your network. If some apps work and some don't, then that's another story.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans