Is it me or are there no more exciting news about WP?

anon(9152079)

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Here's a great news for you: Windows 10 will be released in April 2015...

...April 1st 2015. :winktongue:

Getting serious now, recently we got new great apps: Duolingo, WolframAlpha & CreditKarma (for the USers) there's always the upcoming GDR updates.

Ads about Lumia are all over the TVs (at least here in Italy).
Same here in Brazil. As well as on magazines.

You are facing issues in WP - switch to Android
This is 100% accurate. Now you'll be facing issues with Android, no more stupid issues with WP.

Last edited:

sisqo88

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Next week you will have news about preview for developers update 8.1 gdr 2. This week or next week vlc media player for WP. Within the next weeks news about denim roll out and and and

Sonu K

May 29, 2014
Visit site
If you read the forums people go gaga about the new features they got in developer preview updates. And talk about as if its already in the commonly used version of OS. Then all of a sudden everyone stops talking about it!
Not everyone is interested in developer preview. Are you guys sure every Windows Phone 8 user got the 8.1 update? Or you just forgot because you are using DP version of it? 1 month back everybody was excited about folders coming to start screen and so many people showed off their screenshots. But now no one talks about it. But i don't remember reading anywhere about the 8.1 Update 1 actually being rolled out to any phones?!!!
So Microsoft announce some new features, then release a DP version of it, all feature starving WP users jumps and get their DP version, then everybody including MSFT forgets about the real update?
Sorry for the rant(I know DP versions are for the bug fixing, but stop talking as if you are using the real update version) but it upsets me that MS is ignoring the necessary updates. In my L630 dual sim, calls i make from primary sim always gets dropped at the first attempt. No matter which sim card i use. Its a bug and they haven't fixed it yet. It's really annoying.
Microsoft should not announce updates a year before they do it for real. :angry:

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Everything wp is on a slow burn due to the upcoming windows 10. I'd imagine feb, the mobile world conference, and thereafter is where things will begin to pick up again.

It's a shame things are on slow burn leading up to the Christmas shopping spree but that's how msft wanted to play it. The interim devices should suffice otherwise people have to wait till next year for the announcements. Hopefully there won't be a delay between the announcements and a release. All this waiting is off putting.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Same here.

Lags (often disguised as "resuming") are often on my 1020 and 930 yet I've had none whatsoever on my Z3C.
And while the 930 doesn't last me 20 hours of moderate use, my Z3C lasts me around 2 days of heavy use. So...so much for "Android's battery drain".
The apps UI...it depends. Some Android apps do have an ugly UI. But so do many WP apps. That's the fault of developers with poor taste, not of the OS itself.

If we are calling lagging the resume thing, I have the HTC One M8 android for my job. As much as I like the device, its not as quick as my Lumia920 when some apps resume. Even launching apps on the HTC One M8 isn't as speedy as what happen in my Lumia 920. The app that immediately comes to mind is one called FourSquare and especially its newly made independent counterpart, Swarm. There are plenty of times when it doesn't even know where it is to do check in's. Even the Chrome browser on the M8 is at times laggy but not the resume kind of laggy. I'm talking standard android laggy.

But how did we get from no exciting news to talking about lagging problems on phones. Man, talk about mission creep. lol.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If we are calling lagging the resume thing, I have the HTC One M8 android for my job. As much as I like the device, its not as quick as my Lumia920 when some apps resume. Even launching apps on the HTC One M8 isn't as speedy as what happen in my Lumia 920. The app that immediately comes to mind is one called FourSquare and especially its newly made independent counterpart, Swarm. There are plenty of times when it doesn't even know where it is to do check in's. Even the Chrome browser on the M8 is at times laggy but not the resume kind of laggy. I'm talking standard android laggy.

But how did we get from no exciting news to talking about lagging problems on phones. Man, talk about mission creep. lol.

Often disguised isn't the same as "disguised". Both phones lag from time to time. But the "resuming" screens are a nightmare.
I haven't experienced that sort of lagging in any Sony Z phone, so I'm assuming the problem is with HTC's Sense (and let's not enter into TouchWiz...that one is the stuff nightmares are made of).

But yeah, back to topic =P

I'm not surprised at the lack of news. Microsoft is more concerned (as well as they should) with Windows 10. And since they're not really into the "lets build a ton of WP devices" strategy anyway, I think it's normal that things have slowed down since Nokia left the scene.

Everything wp is on a slow burn due to the upcoming windows 10.

Are you implying that WP is on some sort of platform that is burning? ;P

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
.... What's happening in Android that's so exciting? The Lollipop phones are still a while away.
:/ Besides the new Broadwell computers coming up, I don't really see any big news on any platforms.
I dunno,
android:
lollipop
flagships
updates (both apps and os)

iPhone:
that barely-selling-at-all iPhone 6/plus
apps

Microsoft:
crickets

dezzilakk

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Same here.

Lags (often disguised as "resuming") are often on my 1020 and 930 yet I've had none whatsoever on my Z3C.
And while the 930 doesn't last me 20 hours of moderate use, my Z3C lasts me around 2 days of heavy use. So...so much for "Android's battery drain".
The apps UI...it depends. Some Android apps do have an ugly UI. But so do many WP apps. That's the fault of developers with poor taste, not of the OS itself.

I've left Android's inconsistency to find even more inconsistency in WP.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I dunno,
android:
lollipop
flagships
updates (both apps and os)

iPhone:
that barely-selling-at-all iPhone 6/plus
apps

Microsoft:
crickets

You're kidding right? What "flagships" are these? There hasn't been an Android worth talking about since the Note 4 and even though Note 4 is fantastic, Samsung had disastrous sales this year, and are reducing their entire lineup to 30% of what it was last year. How is this 'exciting'?

Alij382

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
You guys keep saying that android and iOS aren't having exciting news as well, but what you keep forgetting is that they don't need to, since they're already "there".

WP isn't on the other hand. That's why it is expected for the platform to move faster in terms of updates and news, they're not "there" yet.

sisqo88

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Next week you will have news about preview for developers update 8.1 gdr 2. This week or next week vlc media player for WP. Within the next weeks news about denim roll out and and and

See my friends my words are getting true VLC Media player for WP will be out today for beta testers. Next week it goes on with the rest ;)

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You're kidding right? What "flagships" are these? There hasn't been an Android worth talking about since the Note 4 and even though Note 4 is fantastic, Samsung had disastrous sales this year, and are reducing their entire lineup to 30% of what it was last year. How is this 'exciting'?

Since September:
- Moto X 2
- Sony Xperia Z3 line
- Nexus 6
- Nexus 9
- Note 4
- And if you consider the release date, Note Edge.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb