Is it me or are there no more exciting news about WP?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
You're kidding right? What "flagships" are these? There hasn't been an Android worth talking about since the Note 4 and even though Note 4 is fantastic, Samsung had disastrous sales this year, and are reducing their entire lineup to 30% of what it was last year. How is this 'exciting'?

i see other users have already posted references to android flagships, so i'll continue on. the number of phones and frequency of high end releases is kind of hard to dismiss.

yes, samsung's sales are down, but sales numbers and market share usually aren't popular things to quote on WPC, so I'll let that one be too.

now, a question: will samsung be more of a market dominator (as it is currently) by flooding 50 devices to market, or with a very precise focus of 5, from entry level to flagships the others (iphone/wp) haven't even -thought-of-yet- devices ?

that's the exciting part. if you missed the exciting parts from iphone and android, just fire up youtube. it should be easy to find reviews, hands on, unboxings, etc

it's fine to be a fan of one OS, but keep your eyes open, there is a lot of positive to find if you look for it :)

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
it's fine to be a fan of one OS, but keep your eyes open, there is a lot of positive to find if you look for it :)

Samsung's faults do not lie in their huge lineup, they lie in their software. Everyone I know who has used a Samsung Android phone have continually complained of its jitter and lag (things that have been mostly rectified in the Nexus phones). These OEM skins will be their own undoing. Samsung has become a brand so big that when people go to buy a budget phone they don't necessarily care whether it's a Galaxy Core or an A3 or what's it as long as it's Samsung and fits their budget. And then they face problems.

I love WP; but I do like Android too. Before getting a Lumia I was a hardcore Android user. I am not bashing. I am saying that the Android space is full of the specs war, and that's all it has become lately... I don't know, maybe I am in the minority but the specs war bores me now. It was exciting when the first dualcore S2 came out with an AMOLED screen and everyone went Hallelujah, yes, but what has happened since then?

They're just cramming as many specs as they can and it's kind of expected now that cores will double every year and camera sensors may or may not get bigger (I lol'd when I realized the S5 has about the same sized sensor as the two year old 920), screen res will double year on year, and... what then? You still can't do half of what you can do on a PC, on an Android phone or tablet.

There was an argument about this in another thread too. Hardware is only as good as the software it runs. The Nexus 6 with all it's monstrous specs doesn't really do anything last year's S4 can't... So, I ask you again, what's so exciting?

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Ha,
No thread ends in this forum until we bash Android or Google or Samsung.

Now it is done.

Someone close this thread.

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Since September:
- Moto X 2
- Sony Xperia Z3 line
- Nexus 6
- Nexus 9
- Note 4
- And if you consider the release date, Note Edge.

Both new Nexus turns out to be huge disappointments and heavily panned by the tech press. The Note Edge is also branded as gimmicky due to the hardware spec being a little TOO unique which ensures that it would not get widespread support plus limited market availability. Sony's Xperia being panned for refreshing their flagships too quickly with little actual improvements, with the only silver lining being that they are the only one left making flagship phones with a smallish screen which some prefer. I'd actually consider Android having a pretty bad last quarter in terms of news, a sign that we've probably hit a glass ceiling in smartphone hardware.

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
what does this part mean?

The whole point of the Note Edge is that bit of curved off screen which nobody else has, else it's really just a Note 4. Currently Samsung walled off that bit of the screen to implement some software buttons and notification, but who else will write specifically to this hardware when 1) only Samsung makes something like this, and 2) there's even no guarantee that Samsung will continue this highly experimental configuration. Put these two together the Edge getting no widespread support for that strip of screen is all but guaranteed.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Both new Nexus turns out to be huge disappointments and heavily panned by the tech press. The Note Edge is also branded as gimmicky due to the hardware spec being a little TOO unique which ensures that it would not get widespread support plus limited market availability. Sony's Xperia being panned for refreshing their flagships too quickly with little actual improvements, with the only silver lining being that they are the only one left making flagship phones with a smallish screen which some prefer. I'd actually consider Android having a pretty bad last quarter in terms of news, a sign that we've probably hit a glass ceiling in smartphone hardware.

And every single WP in the OSs life has been panned by the tech press.
The tech press only praises the iPhones. Period. So no, you still don't have a point. There were plenty of exciting Androids since September. They just didn't had 2 year old technology and an Apple on the back.

Last edited:

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
The whole point of the Note Edge is that bit of curved off screen which nobody else has, else it's really just a Note 4. Currently Samsung walled off that bit of the screen to implement some software buttons and notification, but who else will write specifically to this hardware when 1) only Samsung makes something like this, and 2) there's even no guarantee that Samsung will continue this highly experimental configuration. Put these two together the Edge getting no widespread support for that strip of screen is all but guaranteed.

ahhh, I see, you meant "software development sPecific to that device".

I looked at the device as more of a show of piece, a small example of what is possible with curved displays. my own inventiveness doesn't know what to do with it, so it seems gimmicky to me, like you. I'm sure someone will figure out a cool use for the next version of this type of device that will make them very rich, and us look very show on the uptake.

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
And every single WP in the OSs life has been panned by the tech press.
The tech press only praises the iPhones. Period. So no, you still don't have a point. There were plenty of exciting Androids since September. They just didn't had 2 year old technology and an Apple on the back.

Doesn't matter what sort of reception WP received. Speaking strictly about Android, the past few months had been pretty disappointing. Take the Nexus series, they used to get a very good geek halo effect with devices like the Nexus 4/5 and 7s, yet the reception towards the 6 and 9 is universally negative which is unprecedented. Then there's news of Lollipop encryption degrading the performance of the Nexus 6 as well as the average battery performance - again, vanilla Android build used to held up as the halo of how good Androids are without the OEM bloat and as a beacon of what Android users can expect to come, but Lollipop is off to a bit of a shaky start which again is another poor showing on Google's part since September.

So no, I don't see plenty of "exciting" Android news since September, and I think I do have a point.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't matter what sort of reception WP received. Speaking strictly about Android, the past few months had been pretty disappointing. Take the Nexus series, they used to get a very good geek halo effect with devices like the Nexus 4/5 and 7s, yet the reception towards the 6 and 9 is universally negative which is unprecedented. Then there's news of Lollipop encryption degrading the performance of the Nexus 6 as well as the average battery performance - again, vanilla Android build used to held up as the halo of how good Androids are without the OEM bloat and as a beacon of what Android users can expect to come, but Lollipop is off to a bit of a shaky start which again is another poor showing on Google's part since September.

So no, I don't see plenty of "exciting" Android news since September, and I think I do have a point.
windows phone tech reception doesn't matter, but androids does?

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
windows phone tech reception doesn't matter, but androids does?

Answer me this - Does WP's negative reception somehow make the disappointing news of Android magically disappear? No because they are separate issues. That's the point I'm talking about when I say it doesn't matter what sort of reception WP is getting. The fact is the past few months of Android news hasn't been good, and this is doubly so when it is related to Nexus devices and vanilla Android - the two areas where Android supporters and even tech journalists (NOT fanboys) had traditionally been most interested in and very positive about, so WP also getting negative press doesn't negate this fact.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Answer me this - Does WP's negative reception somehow make the disappointing news of Android magically disappear?

ok, I'll just answer the question:
no, of course not.

it's my fault for adding a two party question earlier. that never seems to work on forums, and usually ends up with a wall of text instead of answers.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

You don't seem to understand that YOU were disappointed. Not everyone.

You talked about the tech press opinion. You were the one using it to justify why YOU think Android hasn't had exciting devices since September.
You want to use tech press as a measurement for anything, then fine, we'll use it. But we'll use it for EVERYTHING. Including WP.

Now you talk about Lollipop on the Nexus 6. And you mix everything. One moment you're talking about devices, the other you're talking about the OS.

You don't like Android. We get it. It's FINE. We don't all have to like the same things. But just because you don't think some devices are exciting, it doesn't mean other people don't feel the same.
Heck, I hate - and I mean HATE - Samsung deeply. And even I can admit that something like the Note Edge is pretty exciting because of what it can mean for future devices (regardless of the OS).
The Sony Xperia Z3 Compact jams a 4.7 screen into a phone that's SMALLER and THINNER than the 920 while having flagship specs, a 20mp camera, 2 days of battery life and a IP67 rating (meaning waterPROOF and dust resistant.) How is THIS not exciting? We've been told time and time again that the better the phone the larger it has to be. Sony proves otherwise and it's not exciting?

Let's just be honest here. You don't like Android. That's the problem that's thwarting your argument.

If you want to discuss Lollipop, I'll discuss Lollipop: I'm NOT updating my phone to Lollipop because I simply HATE that horrible "Material Design". And I'm not in the mood to root the phone just to fix the mess Google made. Although I never really likes Windows Phone's tiles, the rest of the OS is much better designed than what Google has done with Material Design.

yaron zeevik

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Samsung's faults do not lie in their huge lineup, they lie in their software. Everyone I know who has used a Samsung Android phone have continually complained of its jitter and lag (things that have been mostly rectified in the Nexus phones). These OEM skins will be their own undoing. Samsung has become a brand so big that when people go to buy a budget phone they don't necessarily care whether it's a Galaxy Core or an A3 or what's it as long as it's Samsung and fits their budget. And then they face problems.

I love WP; but I do like Android too. Before getting a Lumia I was a hardcore Android user. I am not bashing. I am saying that the Android space is full of the specs war, and that's all it has become lately... I don't know, maybe I am in the minority but the specs war bores me now. It was exciting when the first dualcore S2 came out with an AMOLED screen and everyone went Hallelujah, yes, but what has happened since then?

They're just cramming as many specs as they can and it's kind of expected now that cores will double every year and camera sensors may or may not get bigger (I lol'd when I realized the S5 has about the same sized sensor as the two year old 920), screen res will double year on year, and... what then? You still can't do half of what you can do on a PC, on an Android phone or tablet.

There was an argument about this in another thread too. Hardware is only as good as the software it runs. The Nexus 6 with all it's monstrous specs doesn't really do anything last year's S4 can't... So, I ask you again, what's so exciting?
great response! Really like it man!

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
You don't seem to understand that YOU were disappointed. Not everyone.

Err, no. Read any review of the Nexus 9 on the big sites for example. It's universally panned.

You talked about the tech press opinion. You were the one using it to justify why YOU think Android hasn't had exciting devices since September.

Funny, because the "no exciting news about WP" comes from where? Oh that's right, the press.

You want to use tech press as a measurement for anything, then fine, we'll use it. But we'll use it for EVERYTHING. Including WP.

Like I said, it doesn't matter. I'm not denying there is bad news for WP, I'm saying the bad news of WP doesn't make the bad news of Android disappear.

Now you talk about Lollipop on the Nexus 6. And you mix everything. One moment you're talking about devices, the other you're talking about the OS.

Because both had issues. I'm not mixing anything.
Nexus 6 hardware has been panned for lacking despite being a high costing flagship.
Lollipop has been reporting to have problems with battery life and with performance degrading encryption.

Both of these are facts.

You don't like Android. We get it. It's FINE. We don't all have to like the same things. But just because you don't think some devices are exciting, it doesn't mean other people don't feel the same.

I like Android just fine - I HAVE Android devices right now. I was planning to buy a Nexus 6 for that matter, that's why I know about it - good and bad. Stop assuming someone saying bad things about Android means they don't like it.

OTOH I could say the same thing about people continuously panning WP. They sound like people hating WP more than actually liking it just because WP hasn't released a flagship to their liking it suddenly makes WP "not exciting".

Heck, I hate - and I mean HATE - Samsung deeply. And even I can admit that something like the Note Edge is pretty exciting because of what it can mean for future devices (regardless of the OS).

Which has nothing to do with what I said at all. Because realistically speaking - as I said - the exotic configuration of the Edge means it would very likely not get any support. Just like WP doesn't get much support due to market share. There's nothing particularly exciting about the Edge there *unless* Samsung comes out to announce that this kind of curved screen device becomes their standard configuration in ALL of their highend flagship. Until then, it's a gimmick, and that's a fact, which most sites have correctly pointed out.

The Sony Xperia Z3 Compact jams a 4.7 screen into a phone that's SMALLER and THINNER than the 920 while having flagship specs, a 20mp camera, 2 days of battery life and a IP67 rating (meaning waterPROOF and dust resistant.) How is THIS not exciting? We've been told time and time again that the better the phone the larger it has to be. Sony proves otherwise and it's not exciting?

It's not exciting because the Z1 Compact (which I currently OWN) had done all that before and the Z3 is just a minor bump in specs. How is THAT exciting?

Let's just be honest here. You don't like Android. That's the problem that's thwarting your argument.

Er, no. I like Android just fine. I just don't find spec bumps exciting because as someone else pointed out, it's about software now because hardware improvement has plateaued, and OEM are struggling to improve hardware in ways that actually matter.

If you want to discuss Lollipop, I'll discuss Lollipop: I'm NOT updating my phone to Lollipop because I simply HATE that horrible "Material Design". And I'm not in the mood to root the phone just to fix the mess Google made. Although I never really likes Windows Phone's tiles, the rest of the OS is much better designed than what Google has done with Material Design.

Good for you. But how does your person preference negates the performance degrading issue of Lollipop's device encryption? Oh wait, it doesn't. So how is that NOT bad news for Android?

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
What bot finger print scanner of iphone nd continuity is it not exciting along with A8 processor.This year belong to apple 🍎.
From Windows phone

Bataar

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft kind of shot itself with the whole Nokia purchase and Windows 10 announcement. More than likely, phones won't be available with Windows 10 until next autumn. There will likely be no flagship phones coming out running Windows Phone 8.1 until then as Microsoft will assume people will not buy them because they will be wanting to wait and see what Windows 10 does. That will be about 2 yeas, give or take, for flagship phones. I'm currently running a Lumia 1520 and my contract is up in late March. If no new Windows Phones will be available around that time (within a month or so), I'm probably going to switch to Android as I'm not going to wait until autumn for a new phone.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Your talking out your ***, Im sorry to say.

How about Microsoft shooting itself, if they hadn't bought and Nokia would have only focused on making Android devices?

Most likely, we will see new flagship(s) announced in the beginning of 2015. Around that time the DP version of W10 will be announced to us also.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99