Is it me or are there no more exciting news about WP?

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft kind of shot itself with the whole Nokia purchase and Windows 10 announcement. More than likely, phones won't be available with Windows 10 until next autumn. There will likely be no flagship phones coming out running Windows Phone 8.1 until then as Microsoft will assume people will not buy them because they will be wanting to wait and see what Windows 10 does. That will be about 2 yeas, give or take, for flagship phones. I'm currently running a Lumia 1520 and my contract is up in late March. If no new Windows Phones will be available around that time (within a month or so), I'm probably going to switch to Android as I'm not going to wait until autumn for a new phone.

Just curious--I've read most 1520 owners say their phones work great and that model seems to be fairly future-proof--any thought to keeping it a couple extra months after your contract expires to see what new phones are announced? I'm in the same boat with a 920 but it's still working well so that's my plan for the moment.

Bataar

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Your talking out your ***, Im sorry to say.

How about Microsoft shooting itself, if they hadn't bought and Nokia would have only focused on making Android devices?

Most likely, we will see new flagship(s) announced in the beginning of 2015. Around that time the DP version of W10 will be announced to us also.
If Microsoft hadn't bought Nokia, than maybe Nokia would continue to release successors to the 1020/1520. No way to know for sure, but we know Microsoft hasn't/isn't at least in a timely fashion. If they don't announce anything until spring, then, knowing Microsoft, they won't be available until fall/holiday season. I'm not going to wait that long.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Sure, thats why Microsoft bought the handset division with such a great terms...

Man seriously, you dont know what you are talking about.

Windows Phones seen selling jack ****. Most likely the news previously was correct, when a CEO of dont remember said no one has made any money out of WP.

Microsoft didn't get any of the valuable stuff from Nokia, why? Think about it. They wanted so much more.

Bataar

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Sure, thats why Microsoft bought the handset division with such a great terms...

Man seriously, you dont know what you are talking about.

Windows Phones seen selling jack ****. Most likely the news previously was correct, when a CEO of dont remember said no one has made any money out of WP.

Microsoft didn't get any of the valuable stuff from Nokia, why? Think about it. They wanted so much more.
I'm not sure exactly what point you're trying to make. I do know is that we likely won't see a new flagship quality phone until next autumn. That will be about 2+ years between flagships (1020). If Microsoft had not announced Windows 10 so early (a year before it's release) then they could still release flagship quality Windows 8.1 phones which means we'd have something newer this winter/spring.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Err, no. Read any review of the Nexus 9 on the big sites for example. It's universally panned.

So the Nexus 9, a tablet, is now the device that is going to define ALL the devices? Again, YOU were disappointed. There are a ton of exiting Androids released since September, whether you like them or not.

Funny, because the "no exciting news about WP" comes from where? Oh that's right, the press.

Everyone here is smart enough to know you're trying to avoid a mess you put yourself in. You either accept the press opinion as a standard for excitement or you don't. And if you do, you have to accept it for ALL platforms. And in that sense, we're still waiting for the first WP device that excites the press.

Like I said, it doesn't matter. I'm not denying there is bad news for WP, I'm saying the bad news of WP doesn't make the bad news of Android disappear.

It's not a question of good or bad news. You were talking about lack of exciting devices. Period. It's sad you're insisting on a point you were proven wrong just "because".

Because both had issues. I'm not mixing anything.
Nexus 6 hardware has been panned for lacking despite being a high costing flagship.
Lollipop has been reporting to have problems with battery life and with performance degrading encryption.

Both of these are facts.

Opinions of some news sites aren't facts. That's for a start.
Then, "the Nexus 6 hardware has been panned"? By whom? The only criticism I've heard towards the hardware has been regarding its size. And of course the price, but that one is out of the entitlement of the Americans that are used to dirt cheap phones due to contracts, subsidies and all that hogwash. Something that the unsustainable low price of the Nexus 5 didn't help eliminating.

And there you are mixing hardware and software. You must decide yourself. Lack of excitement is regarding software or hardware? Lollipop was much anticipated. Yeah, it's been a mess. That doesn't take away the fact that it's a much bigger release than Jelly Bean or KitKat were before it.
Windows Phone 8.1 was also a big release. And it also has a bunch of problems with battery life and decreased performance (hello endless "resuming..." screens!).
Also, on the Lollipop front, you do realize that the vast majority of Android phones hasn't received it yet, right? Nexus devices are a very very very small percentage of Android devices. So only those who got "stock Android" phones can complaint. This is one of those times that it's good OEMs can change Android. Because it means OEMs can fix the issues themselves without waiting for Google to issue some update months after they request it.
Lollipop on Nexus phones is a small release. It would be bad news for Android if Google did what Microsoft does and insisted that OEMs couldn't touch the OS. As it is, it would only be a problem if the Lollipop issues had been spread across Samsung, Sony, LG, HTC etc etc phones. It isn't because most of those phones don't have the update yet.

I like Android just fine - I HAVE Android devices right now. I was planning to buy a Nexus 6 for that matter, that's why I know about it - good and bad. Stop assuming someone saying bad things about Android means they don't like it.

OTOH I could say the same thing about people continuously panning WP. They sound like people hating WP more than actually liking it just because WP hasn't released a flagship to their liking it suddenly makes WP "not exciting".

I stand corrected. You don't dislike Android. You are just bitter about what the Nexus 6 turned out to be and, therefore, are extending the fact that that particular device disappointed you, towards all other Android devices which you didn't look at. Android has had exciting devices released. I named a few. And I could name some other. The Sharp Aquos Crystal for example. A cheap Android phone that has an almost bezel-less screen.

Which has nothing to do with what I said at all. Because realistically speaking - as I said - the exotic configuration of the Edge means it would very likely not get any support. Just like WP doesn't get much support due to market share. There's nothing particularly exciting about the Edge there *unless* Samsung comes out to announce that this kind of curved screen device becomes their standard configuration in ALL of their highend flagship. Until then, it's a gimmick, and that's a fact, which most sites have correctly pointed out.

Again, because someone somewhere said it was a gimmick, it's not exciting any more. Because, you know, it's really common to have curved functional edges on phones. It's just a gimmick that can't open a path to future developments in what smartphone designs can evolve into.
The cancelled 3D features of the McLaren were also, theoretically, "a gimmick". It was still an exciting prospect. You know what was also once considered "a gimmick"? Touch screens. And look where we are now.
You either don't get the idea behind what makes smartphones exciting, or you're just really frigid and nothing sparks your interest.

It's not exciting because the Z1 Compact (which I currently OWN) had done all that before and the Z3 is just a minor bump in specs. How is THAT exciting?

If you own a Z1C you should know that your screen has 4.3". And that the Z3C (which I own) has a 4.7" screen. And that, yet, the Z3C is the exact same size as the Z1C you own, but thinner, with a bigger battery and smaller bezels. Which means with the Z3C you have a small phone with a bigger screen, lighter and thinner and even more powerful...within a world that's trying to shove phablets down our throats.
You may not find that exciting, but you're quite alone. Then again, apparently NOTHING excites you.

Good for you. But how does your person preference negates the performance degrading issue of Lollipop's device encryption? Oh wait, it doesn't. So how is that NOT bad news for Android?

You where the one that brought Lollipop into a discussion regarding hardware, mate.
As for the rest, I report you to my above comment on Lollipop's issues.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
How about Microsoft shooting itself, if they hadn't bought and Nokia would have only focused on making Android devices?

Not that they prevented that in the end, anyway...Nokia has moved to Android. Just not Android phones. Yet.

Most likely, we will see new flagship(s) announced in the beginning of 2015.

I wouldn't count on that if I were you. Microsoft has no interest in showing up a flagship device for an OS they haven't presented yet. They may release some phones but they'll be mid-range. And even then...I don't think they will. If anything, you can hope HTC releases the M9 with Windows at the same time as their Android version.
That should be right after MWC, as always. Last year HTC said it was the Nokia D&S/Microsoft deal that pushed back the W8 (or "HTC One M8 for Windows"...God what a dumb name). So this upcoming year they don't have much of an excuse.

So, assuming HTC will release a W9, that means that there'll be a flagship phone for Western countries in the first quarter of 2015. Which would play well into Microsoft's schedule which would be: presenting Windows 10 at Build along with Windows (Phone) 10 and it's flagship device which should start shipping around July.
The only problem I see there is that Windows (Phone) 10 will be out before Windows 10 IF the Autumn-release for Windows 10 is confirmed.

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
So the Nexus 9, a tablet, is now the device that is going to define ALL the devices? Again, YOU were disappointed. There are a ton of exiting Androids released since September, whether you like them or not.

Oh please. The Nexus tablets had always won over tech press as well as users due to an excellent balance of affordable price and features (heck, I used to own both versions, they were good). The fact that the Nexus 9 came out universally panned was a huge blow to the Nexus brand. Stop brushing this off like it doesn't matter. Google screwed up here, admit it.

Everyone here is smart enough to know you're trying to avoid a mess you put yourself in. You either accept the press opinion as a standard for excitement or you don't. And if you do, you have to accept it for ALL platforms. And in that sense, we're still waiting for the first WP device that excites the press.

What mess? The fact that I said that Android had bad news as well?
The tech press had been excited by WP devices before - 1020, 1520 etc. I'm not sure what the point is here?

It's not a question of good or bad news. You were talking about lack of exciting devices. Period. It's sad you're insisting on a point you were proven wrong just "because".

You've proven nothing.
OTOH I've shown all the supposedly "exciting" Android devices that YOU personally cared about haven't been received that favourably by the tech press. It appears that YOU are the one that is **** hurt here.

Opinions of some news sites aren't facts. That's for a start.
Then, "the Nexus 6 hardware has been panned"? By whom? The only criticism I've heard towards the hardware has been regarding its size. And of course the price, but that one is out of the entitlement of the Americans that are used to dirt cheap phones due to contracts, subsidies and all that hogwash. Something that the unsustainable low price of the Nexus 5 didn't help eliminating.

Arstechnica - Nexus 6 review?The ?premium? price still comes with compromises

And this is a review done by their resident Android fan.

GSMArena

Although it seems to read positive until you drill down and see that every feature the review brought up he had to justify it's short comings and comes across as he's making himself to like the phone - comments such as "The battery performance of the Nexus 6 is good but could have been better", "The 6" QHD AMOLED display, while not perfect, is pleasant to look at and quite useful thanks to its ample size."

Anandtech
"Overall, I think that Google and Motorola have built a solid device. It isn't without its issues,"

In Anandtech's test the battery is poor. Also the review pointed out the lack of a good phablet experience with the 6, especially in comparison to the Note 4.

Pocket Now

"What we have in the Nexus 6, then, is a somewhat mixed bag ....In other ways ?like fluidity, display usage, and living up to big promises about the battery life? it falls flat."

It seems that YOU are the one seeing the Nexus 6 in rose-tinted glasses when things like battery life, fluidity, the lack of a proper phablet experience (hey similar to the complaints people have towards the 1520!) is constantly brought up to be the short coming of the Nexus 6.

Make no mistaken, people say it's a good phone - but it's not a *great* phone - and that's the point. As considering the halo which Nexus 4 and 5 usually carries (people fall head over heels to praise those devices), the reception of the Nexus 6 is disappointing no matter how you try to brush it off.

And there you are mixing hardware and software. You must decide yourself.

I don't have to. Android is about both software and hardware. They've both had some disappointing showing.

Lack of excitement is regarding software or hardware? Lollipop was much anticipated. Yeah, it's been a mess. That doesn't take away the fact that it's a much bigger release than Jelly Bean or KitKat were before it.

Would you agree that excitement not meeting expectation is bad?

Also, on the Lollipop front, you do realize that the vast majority of Android phones hasn't received it yet, right? Nexus devices are a very very very small percentage of Android devices. So only those who got "stock Android" phones can complaint. This is one of those times that it's good OEMs can change Android. Because it means OEMs can fix the issues themselves without waiting for Google to issue some update months after they request it.

What does all that have to do with bad news regarding Android??????

I stand corrected. You don't dislike Android. You are just bitter about what the Nexus 6 turned out to be and, therefore, are extending the fact that that particular device disappointed you, towards all other Android devices which you didn't look at. Android has had exciting devices released. I named a few. And I could name some other. The Sharp Aquos Crystal for example. A cheap Android phone that has an almost bezel-less screen.

Er, I'm not bitter. I"m pointing out the fact that the Nexus 6 isn't turning out to be the "exciting device" that people like you claim it to be.

As for the Crystal? I know about it. But the fact you are pointing this out as an exciting device - that this Sprint-exclusive device limited to the US - actually shows more the hypocrisy of the "waaa WP has not exciting news" crowd even more. In fact I'll turn your comment around - people whining about lack of exciting WP news is bitter, rather than it actually having really bad news.

Again, because someone somewhere said it was a gimmick, it's not exciting any more. Because, you know, it's really common to have curved functional edges on phones. It's just a gimmick that can't open a path to future developments in what smartphone designs can evolve into.

If it doesn't get the market share to get developers interested, then yes, it's a gimmick, which is the sad realities of life. Heck I'm probably one of the people most excited by foldable AMOLED development - as I'm dreaming of the day where I can have a clamshell 7 inch phablet that folds onto itself to be no bigger than a 3 inch slab so it could fit in my pocket. But the Edge doesn't show me that we are getting anywhere close to that, rather its current application, as pointed out by many review sites, is that one of a gimmick.

The cancelled 3D features of the McLaren were also, theoretically, "a gimmick". It was still an exciting prospect. You know what was also once considered "a gimmick"?

No, I'll call that a gimmick too. As it wasn't likely going to be adopted in large either.

Touch screens. And look where we are now.

Touch screens always made sense because it's a direct interface. It's hardly gimmicky.

You either don't get the idea behind what makes smartphones exciting, or you're just really frigid and nothing sparks your interest.

It's only interesting when it gets widespread adoption as that's the reality of business. One-off proof of concept designs aren't it.

If you own a Z1C you should know that your screen has 4.3". And that the Z3C (which I own) has a 4.7" screen. And that, yet, the Z3C is the exact same size as the Z1C you own, but thinner, with a bigger battery and smaller bezels. Which means with the Z3C you have a small phone with a bigger screen, lighter and thinner and even more powerful...within a world that's trying to shove phablets down our throats.
You may not find that exciting, but you're quite alone. Then again, apparently NOTHING excites you.

Things gets smaller, I'm not sure how that is exciting? Because you know, that's like how electronics has been progressing for the psat 30+ years.
OTOH, If incremental spec bumps excites you, I'll say you are a person that gets excited a bit TOO easily.

You where the one that brought Lollipop into a discussion regarding hardware, mate.
As for the rest, I report you to my above comment on Lollipop's issues.

I pointed out Lollipop had problems, showing that it is bad news for Android, what else do I need to talk about it for????

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure exactly what point you're trying to make. I do know is that we likely won't see a new flagship quality phone until next autumn. That will be about 2+ years between flagships (1020). If Microsoft had not announced Windows 10 so early (a year before it's release) then they could still release flagship quality Windows 8.1 phones which means we'd have something newer this winter/spring.

Naaaah, this is only speculation about the flagships. Most likely only thing that is out of the norm, is the cancellation of McLaren thus missing the holiday season flagship that should have been announced in November. Now we will see the next flagship announced in the first quarter of 2015. This will/should be 1540/940 or possibly even the 1040. Are the resent image leaks actually the cancelled McLaren for sure? Could it be also the upcoming 1040? People are so confused about everything and just speculating, no one has any facts at this point.

I dont get how people are talking about these latest image leaks like its some final product "aluminum body blaa blaaa"... Wait what? Seems that the prototypes are often done with aluminium, PROOF: even all the early leaks of 1520 were aluminium. Its probably cheaper/easier than making the whole molding etc for the plastics as its not final design. Could be also that the bottom part is not the final design. Its ugly. Doesn't the sensor anyway point more to 1040 -the missing xenon?

And my point is about the Microsofts route right now is that they had zero choice. The deal with Nokia was coming to an end and Nokia was free to do anything they want. Im sure they told Microsoft that this Lumia crap is not selling, so we have to start making Android devices with our resources, but to keep feeling things (out of pity almost), we will make one Lumia per year; THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN LIGHTS OUT FOR ALL WINDOWS PHONE. Nokia played their cards right in 2011, hats off to Siilasmaa and rest of the board. As the whole mobile industry will not be the same, PROOF: even Samsung is struggling with it and they are the leaders of this space (in sold device numbers). Also they have the whole **** in house, screens and even processors etc etc. Nokia didnt want to own the factories anymore, and they were able to DUMP the whole **** to Microsoft with this amazing play of taking almost 100% of Windows Phone space. Even the dumb phones have no future.

Same to DJCBS about Nokia and their future devices. Yes Im sure we will even have a Nokia Android phone later. Because Nokia kept the R&D (Oh man how they sold all the **** to MS and kept everything of interest, well maybe The PureView tech was something, but how crazy would it been if they could pull that out of the deal), we will most likely see even some devices that will push the boundaries on innovation. But this is totally different from Microsoft's perspective than Nokia just killing the Lumia as something that didnt make any money.

And yes folks it does not make money. Haha, most selling device is the 520.

I do love my WP's though, hope they start to get momentum, but Im sure it will be a loooooooong road. At least MS got the money and heavy interests to ride it out.

Last edited:

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Why you gud don't think great about apple innovation of finger print sensor nd apple pay they have brought the innovation in Mobil world with apple pay.
From Windows phone

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Why you gud don't think great about apple innovation of finger print sensor nd apple pay they have brought the innovation in Mobil world with apple pay.

Apple wasn't the first with either of those features, not by a long shot. However, Apple did make both of them convenient to use.

dwarfsize

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
it's because we are at a stage where they are getting ready to release a whole bunch of new products and software.. it's the calm before the storm so to speak

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Oh please. The Nexus tablets had always won over tech press as well as users due to an excellent balance of affordable price and features (heck, I used to own both versions, they were good). The fact that the Nexus 9 came out universally panned was a huge blow to the Nexus brand. Stop brushing this off like it doesn't matter. Google screwed up here, admit it.

Google can screw up in the Nexus line. The Nexus line is hardly a popular line. Only real Android-aficionados buy Nexus devices. If you look at Android's marketshare, you'll find Nexus in the "Others" department.
Most consumers aren't even aware of the Nexus line.
Yes, the Nexus 9 was panned by many. But then again, so would anything if it was presented the way HTC did it: cheap construction with software problems.
Anything apart, of course, from the iPhone. That one can bend all it wants, the press will always cheer for it.

What mess? The fact that I said that Android had bad news as well?
The tech press had been excited by WP devices before - 1020, 1520 etc. I'm not sure what the point is here?

No. You started by saying that Android hasn't had any exciting devices for a long time when it's not true.
And no, the tech press was not excited by WP devices. The tech press was impressed by the 1020's imaging capabilities. And then always added "a great camera phone brought down by its operating system" sort of line. Actually, that's been a recurring theme in reviews of Nokia Lumia devices. The press praises Nokia's build quality, imaging quality and then trashes Windows Phone. There's no sign of any excitement for a WP device anywhere. Never where.

You've proven nothing.
OTOH I've shown all the supposedly "exciting" Android devices that YOU personally cared about haven't been received that favourably by the tech press. It appears that YOU are the one that is **** hurt here.

Again, you proved nothing. You bring the tech opinion. Tech opinion only praises the iPhone. I don't care about any of the devices I mentioned. I only like Sony's Compact Z line and guess what? The Z3C has been pretty much praised in all the tech reviews I saw. So there goes your theory.
Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that is: there were exciting Android devices released. Just because YOU don't think so or some other guy in a tech website is waiting for a flying phone, it doesn't mean that the devices aren't interesting or exciting.

It seems that YOU are the one seeing the Nexus 6 in rose-tinted glasses when things like battery life, fluidity, the lack of a proper phablet experience (hey similar to the complaints people have towards the 1520!) is constantly brought up to be the short coming of the Nexus 6.

Make no mistaken, people say it's a good phone - but it's not a *great* phone - and that's the point. As considering the halo which Nexus 4 and 5 usually carries (people fall head over heels to praise those devices), the reception of the Nexus 6 is disappointing no matter how you try to brush it off.

I hardly see the Nexus 6 in any kind of glasses. Its cheer size is an immediate deal breaker for me. No 6" device will ever get any praises from me. If the Nokia 1520 didn't get it, it sure as hell won't be the Nexus 6 to get.
That said, perhaps you're reading the review as you want it to read? They say the battery life doesn't live up to the promises made...newsflash: it never does. The battery life on the 930, for example, is beyond appalling.
And again, principal complain is the price. About that I reiterate what I've said: it's American entitlement.
Otherwise, let's see (using the sites you provided):

Pocketnow opens the review with: "With a price tag nearly double that of last year’s model and the footprint of a small tablet, the Nexus 6 comes as a significant shock to those who expected more of the same in 2014."

First paragraph and the price is immediately brought up.

Anandtech: "With a price tag nearly double that of last year’s model and the footprint of a small tablet, the Nexus 6 comes as a significant shock to those who expected more of the same in 2014."

GSMarena: "Whereas the duo of LG-made devices that precede it cut back on certain features to stay attractively priced, the Nexus 6 is ready to rub shoulders with the best in the Android realm."

arstechnica puts it immediately in the title and spends the first 3 paragraphs talking about the price.

Android Central's review is the only one that doesn't open or talk about the price. They yet open with "swapping it into what for us phone nerds (to say nothing of editors of Android websites) is one of the biggest releases of the year."

Yes, they say it's not a "great phone", mainly because of the price. Had it cost the same 350 the Nexus 5 did and you can bet all the press would be saying it's the phone of the year.

I don't have to. Android is about both software and hardware. They've both had some disappointing showing.

We were talking about exciting devices. No exciting updates. When people get excited about a new Note phone they aren't AT ALL excited about the latest version of TouchWiz.

Would you agree that excitement not meeting expectation is bad?

Of course but again, we weren't talking about software. There's always disappointment with OS updates in any platform. They always overpromise and underperform. Just wait until you see what will happen to Windows 10.

What does all that have to do with bad news regarding Android??????

Lollipop's problems would be bad news for Android in general is it was a widely spread update that was affecting a considerable part of the 80% of marketshare that Android owns. As it isn't, it's only bad news to those who specifically buy Nexus or Motorola phones to be the first ones to get the latest updates from Google. Those people have all the reason to be concerned and downright p*ssed off at Google. But they are a really small minor portion of Android users.

Er, I'm not bitter. I"m pointing out the fact that the Nexus 6 isn't turning out to be the "exciting device" that people like you claim it to be.

As for the Crystal? I know about it. But the fact you are pointing this out as an exciting device - that this Sprint-exclusive device limited to the US - actually shows more the hypocrisy of the "waaa WP has not exciting news" crowd even more. In fact I'll turn your comment around - people whining about lack of exciting WP news is bitter, rather than it actually having really bad news.

There was excitement around the Nexus 6. And many people where quite pleased with the blown-up version of the Moto X2. At any rate, I don't understand why you're so obcessed with the Nexus 6 when I spoke of more phones and never even mentioned the Nexus 6 as one of the phones with "exciting" features. I spoke of Sony's accomplishments with the Z3C and the Note Edge.
The Aquos is a carrier exclusive to a US carrier because it comes from an small American OEM and in the USA the market is messed up like that. The fact that Aquos isn't selling in Europe is a problem of Aquos ability to reach foreign markets. It doesn't make the phone they created any less "exciting" because of that. Exciting is a synonymous of a consumer hit. The most exciting device in WP's history was the Nokia 1020. And that one didn't sell like hot cakes. It's still an exciting device that pushed boundaries forward.

As for the WP-whining...I totally agree with you. You don't need to turn my comment around. It's hard to be excited about low end budget phones (and WP fans are in for an even more disappointing start of 2015...). But I'm not also among those who say that "the 930 isn't a flagship". It is a flagship, whether they like it or not. It there's no better phone in the WP market, that's another problem. The HTC One M8 fW is another flagship. It's just a re-purpose of the Android variant? Yes. But then again, that's the price you pay for a failing platform. Nokia was the one pushing WP devices forward. Nokia is gone from WP. If there are no new exciting devices or "flagships" (despite Eflop having clearly stated that the 930 was the flagship for 2014) then WP-fans should blame Microsoft.

The fact is, when you compare WP and Android, yes, Android users have a lot of more reasons to be excited. They've had a plethora of phones released since December, some of them already with the SD805, while WP is still stuck on the SD800 (with the exception of the M8 that has a 801 but HTC hasn't released it outside the US for some odd reason).

If it doesn't get the market share to get developers interested, then yes, it's a gimmick, which is the sad realities of life. Heck I'm probably one of the people most excited by foldable AMOLED development - as I'm dreaming of the day where I can have a clamshell 7 inch phablet that folds onto itself to be no bigger than a 3 inch slab so it could fit in my pocket. But the Edge doesn't show me that we are getting anywhere close to that, rather its current application, as pointed out by many review sites, is that one of a gimmick.

Well, by the logic of your first statement, then the entire WP platform is a gimmick.
Also, you do know that things like the Edge and those Samsung wearables are the first steps of fold-able AMOLED right? I mean, if you want to fold something, you first have to bend it. Samsung is testing things. No, you won't see an Edge every year. You're not supposed too. But it doesn't mean the Edge isn't an exciting device, even though it's a Samsung.
The way they implemented things on that Edge - and you can customize the hell out of it - is an exciting contribution to the evolution of how we deal with the screens in our phones, specially on Android.

No, I'll call that a gimmick too. As it wasn't likely going to be adopted in large either.

You have no idea about that until you put out a device with it. Flip phones, touch screens, cameras etc all that was once considered "a gimmick". Yet they prevailed because the market adhered to them.

Touch screens always made sense because it's a direct interface. It's hardly gimmicky.

I don't know how old you are, but I can assure you that when they showed up many people considered it a gimmick. And others - the thin foil hat people - were even concerned that they could be used to collect fingerprints of people.

It's only interesting when it gets widespread adoption as that's the reality of business. One-off proof of concept designs aren't it.

No. That's not what makes something interesting. That's what makes something popular. There's an ocean of difference between interesting and popular. The iPhone 6 is popular. There's nothing interesting about it (all it has, I had in 2012 in my Nokia 920).

Things gets smaller, I'm not sure how that is exciting? Because you know, that's like how electronics has been progressing for the psat 30+ years.
OTOH, If incremental spec bumps excites you, I'll say you are a person that gets excited a bit TOO easily.

In case you haven't noticed, for some years that phones AREN'T getting smaller. On the contrary. They're getting stupidly big. Specially flagships. The excuses are always the same: to have this we need a bigger screen. To have this we need a bigger battery. To have this camera we need this bulk and this big format. To have this feature it needs more space and the phone needs to be bigger.
Sony is going against the sheep tide. They're working on making a phone with screens as big as possible while still being small. Phones as good as possible with batteries that last as long as possible without overblowing things. There's more inside a phone than chips. So far Sony is the only company that's offering a small version of their flagship and working to offer people great phones without forcing them to go monster.
Did you read what Google said about the Nexus 6 size when questioned why such a big phone for what it had? Yeah. "People will have to get used to it because we say so". And Microsoft is going the same direction with the cheap phones like the 535 etc only arriving in monster sizes.
The simple fact that Sony is offering smaller great phones is enough to be excited. That Sony keeps improving the hardware without making the phone grow it's even more. But then again, people will only admit that if Apple - as rumoured - returns to a smaller sized iPhone 6S.

I pointed out Lollipop had problems, showing that it is bad news for Android, what else do I need to talk about it for????

Answered to this above.

Bleeh

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Dunno why people are getting excited here ... I mean there has been a lot of news, a lot of updated apps (onedrive, shazam, HERE suite, skype, rdio, netflix ... you name it), new apps/games are coming regularly (candy crush, CBS, wolfram, duolingo, movie creator etc.).
Got my 930 3 months ago and I couldn't be happier!

Alij382

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Glad to see more things are happening to the WP world this month. The pace needs to pick up though and never slow down.
Happy holidays everybody, and happy new year! Hope 2015 is a great year for everyone.

gizzzmo

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
December has been good for WP, but the absence of a new flagship, or any reliable flagship related news is disappointing. Let's hope 2015 will bring a real beast of a phone. I've been due an upgrade for three months now!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven