Why do Windows phone users have a low standard when it comes to applications?

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Windows phone users have a low standard when it comes to applications!

It's not that we have low standards when it comes to apps. It's just that we're willing to sacrifice apps to use our favorite mobile OS

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

Interestingly OP generalises that we all have low standards when it comes to apps yet OP is a WP user!!!!

anon(9193737)

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site

Yes i am a new WP user, i just bought a Lumia 930, before i had it, i checkt out all the app i was using on my iphone, and i saw 4-5 stars ratings on each app.
I love the OS, so its not just about the apps.

Well lets stop this, it sounds like you all are taking this personally.
I already told you the headline was a bit to much, but i did not say "All"

Anyways, im out of this thread, but i still thinks its lame that people just are rating apps with max stars on apps who are worth 2-3 stars.
I don't care if they just are happy or not about the OS, app and take what they can get.
iOS apps get much more criticism and that is how wp users should do aswell, instead of just taking what they can get and be happy with that.

My English is probably not good enough to explain what i really mean ;S

:angel:

Last edited:

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

I feel that the apps are way too slow when compared to iOS or Android apps. For ex: WhatsApp or Viber opens too slow in my Lumia 525 and on the other hand its very smooth in Moto E which has the same processor and RAM. Its quite disappointing.

Yeah I just checked WhatsApp on my Lumia 810 with the Snapdragon 1.5GHz processor w/ I GB of ram and it takes almost 2 seconds, I didn't realize it was so slow.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
You've only listed 2 apps. Frankly I'm not seeing a lack of quality, and I certainly don't feel my standards are low. Quite a few apps out there are decent enough if 3rd party. Overall I have faith that many of the developers will continue to update and enhance their apps. None of em have failed me yet to be honest. (Okay... CrunchyRoll has... but for it's age it still runs just fine.)

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site

Why do Windows phone users have a low standard when it comes to applications?
You have to remember that WP users are mostly uneducated bumpkins (no offense intended to bumpkins). You don't even want to know how bad iPhone apps would be if iPhone users didn't demand better. :rolleyes:

MysticForce

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
I think that windows phone users like simple and useful apps, no need to complicate as for android.
So I saw that apps with 5 stars are very simple actually and there is a small number of 5 stars apps.

Messagers are not so good rated. Al thou they are not fully finished yet.
My point is, WP users are not low standard users, they are just different. And interesting thing is that many of WP users are developers. I am developer too (but not WP developer). So maybe we know to appreciate for someones work on app and we notice if app makes sense in everydays life and is usable.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

Wp users are simple users they don't want to download millions of apps nd then not use it.whatever apps useful are downloaded.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

You have to remember that WP users are mostly uneducated bumpkins (no offense intended to bumpkins). You don't even want to know how bad iPhone apps would be if iPhone users didn't demand better. :rolleyes:

Not sure if serious but thanks for insulting ALL Windows Phone users, you're as bad as the OP!!!

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

A lot of what other OS's need spa for is baked into WP. It's a different philosophy, if you don't like it, then just don't use it.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site

Actually I have a very high standard in security. I can't count how many times android + iOs users getting hacked more vs. Microsoft's ecosystem on windows phone + XBOX One, which I own both.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

Seems like alot of pl don't realize that rating an app is suppose to be what you're using at that time. The features that are there at that time. The performance of the app at that time. Ppl love giving horrible reviews because it doesn't support this or that, that's not the point of a rating system. Rate the app "as is".

The op is clearly young and don't understand why ppl who chose WP chooses them. WP brought along a schizophrenic free user interface, apps that mostly adhered to WP design principles and the simplicity that echoed through the entire system. it isn't that WP users don't want more, we rate based on what's in front of us.

As you can tell, if you don't rate apps as is, you're just whining and giving negative reviews like a child that believes everything is crap if it isn't what they want. Pretty sad thinking, imo.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
The good thing about the new store (and forgive me if someone already mentioned this) is that you can essentially vote up/down reviews so that the helpful reviews start appearing at the top. That may not help the stars issue, but at least it will help shoppers to see critical reviews first.

Personally, I don't think of it as low standards as much as I think people can just rate based on what they have to work with, not how an app compares to another platform. If you know of features in other platforms you'd like, I would go directly to the dev rather than the store reviews. Actually, I feel that most WP users have high standards just because they use Windows Phone. They chose this platform over others - getting a Windows Phone usually doesn't happen by accident! Most WP users get one for reasons other than the apps that are available (Build quality, secure environment, camera (that's me!), Nokia name, ect).

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site

You have a right to your opinion just like all the rest of the users do. I use both WP and Android. And the ratings of apps is just an opinion that is all. I almost never get or don't get an app because of its rating. I try it and decide for myself. I worked in retailing for over 50 years and have watched the rise of the cell phone to smart phone etc over the years. I would say most people having a smart phone is a waste of money because of how little they use its features. If a person has to have a high end phone then fine, let them get one. If a low end phone works thats fine also. What a person does or thinks about a smartphone and it apps is up to that person. What each of us thinks about this phenomenon is of little difference to another user. We can all post our opinions; but they only belong to us. Have a nice day and take care on the road.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

Lumia 735... no problem with Spotify. Seems to load quickly to me.
  • I've used Spotify on Windows 7 desktop where it is fully featured and runs swiftly.
  • Used it on an Android tablet where again it is quite fully featured, but runs with a bit of lag.
  • Used on Moto G 4G where functionality is crippled unless the phone is rooted and running the Xposed module 'Tablet Metrics'.
  • Used on Lumia 735 where it was just as crippled as on the Moto G 4G, and was just the same speed.

Different platform will have a different design language, and slightly different functionality. WP is in third place, so why should devs dedicate their time and resources to it?

There are things missing that I would like, but rather than kick up a fuss, I'm trying to do something about it - learning C#, using the free Visual Studio that MS has made available, and trying to learn to create an app for me (that perhaps others will find useful, too.)

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Im very surprised over how low the standard is, if you check out the recents review on the spotify app, all are are like "OMG this app is made by god and its so good"

The app have 4? stars out of 5, (WTF)

The app for iphones are so much better, its smooth, no bugs, it has lots of feature, and many more options plus it looks stunning compared to the one for WP.

In reality the spotify app for WP is, Buggy, slow sometimes, dosen't look that nice compared to other WP apps, it has not option/feature, you can't search in your playlists.

A proper rating for the WP spotify app would be like 2-3 stars, if it looked like that on a Iphone.

But i don't think that many WP users have any idea what criteria a good app has to
cover.

It's not only the spotify app, but this is the one that pisses me off, check out the IMDB aswell, 3? stars out of 5 (WTF) that app might be the worst ive ever seen so far. And still people be like "OMG can't live without you"

Am i right, because this frustrates me a bit?

Ollie

Many reviews of Windows Phone apps are about as realistic (and real) as those for ios, Android, and Blackberry. Getting upset about it just seems silly. Beyond that, claiming that those who have an opinion other than yours have low standards is extremely arrogant. It also requires a serious suspension of disbelief to accept the premise that every Windows Phone user has seen parallel apps on other platforms and are able to make an informed comparison. The only reason I know the capabilities of a variety of Android apps is that I run DUOS in Windows 8.1. With that said, for most things the only comment I can make about Android is there are more apps, some of which cover obvious Windows Phone gaps, but the quality is just as uneven.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site

Not sure if serious but thanks for insulting ALL Windows Phone users, you're as bad as the OP!!!
Not serious. Hence the rolled eyes. Its hard to imagine the OP was serious so I didn't see a reason to be. ;)

vgfr

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Ollie
You are right but it should not frustrate you.
WP users, in general, are very different from iPhone users, so it is normal that their expectations in terms of quality are different.
WP users are just realistic. Actually, it is not limited to applications: Most WP users own a phone with low specifications (L520, L530) and... they are extremely happy with it !!! Most iPhone users would be extremely disappointed to own a phone with similar specs !
Different users, different expectations: that's all.

plot_almighty

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site

Im very surprised over how low the standard is, if you check out the recents review on the spotify app, all are are like "OMG this app is made by god and its so good"

The app have 4? stars out of 5, (WTF)

The app for iphones are so much better, its smooth, no bugs, it has lots of feature, and many more options plus it looks stunning compared to the one for WP.

In reality the spotify app for WP is, Buggy, slow sometimes, dosen't look that nice compared to other WP apps, it has not option/feature, you can't search in your playlists.

A proper rating for the WP spotify app would be like 2-3 stars, if it looked like that on a Iphone.

But i don't think that many WP users have any idea what criteria a good app has to
cover.

It's not only the spotify app, but this is the one that pisses me off, check out the IMDB aswell, 3? stars out of 5 (WTF) that app might be the worst ive ever seen so far. And still people be like "OMG can't live without you"

Ollie

First, your post is subjective. Second, im presuming its based on two apps you use frequently. Third, you're comparing apples to oranges. No app on Windows Phone will look completely like its iOS counterpart. The design philosophy alone will ensure it.

Last I would like to shoot your presumption of WP users having no idea what a good app is down. I don't believe you know who Rudy Hyun is. His name within this community ranks up with big names like Rovio. Check out his third party client apps. 6snap, 6tag, etc. His work matches the official apps on competing platforms. Furthermore they are usually better designed and better performing than the official clients that get released on WP. Oftentimes better supported too.

I'm sorry the apps you use aren't up to par for you. I suggest reaching out to the developers in question with your concerns.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)