Why do Windows phone users have a low standard when it comes to applications?

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Windows phone users have a low standard when it comes to applications!

I believe that a lot of reviews and ratings are kiddy or noob based. ........ Crapp app frontcam doesnt work / lumia 520 user or hm call recorder doesnt work ( if they understood the ecosystem they would know why ). And a lot of reviews are old. Pre update or pre rebuild reviews are not very realistic.
Then again some apps are forcing you to give a 5 star rating or forcing a rating with a review.
I give those apps standart a low rating or a remark.

But for the most part i like the very basic appstyle.
Fore example whatsapp....i hate the interface on android it is not as sleek as on wp. But thats a pure personal opinion.

If the o.p. want's to be of any help, he could mail the particular Developer for some ideas or join in as a betatester.

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Food for thought:

Imagine someone would create a website similar to this one: The Sweet Setup ? We recommend the best apps for iPhone, iPad, and Mac

Now tell me, with all honesty, what apps would be good enough to be posted on a site like that. Short answer would be: not many and not as good.

It's the truth. The OP may have been harsh but, fact to the matter is, WP app devs may have good intentions, but their design flaws are big. There are two or three devs that stand out, but not much more. The rest is just god awful, has less features and is updated in a much less frequent way.

As an example, I've been searching for a half decent journal/diary app. This is what I'm presented with on WP by searching by each of those words:

Pesquisar resultados para "journal" | Loja de Aplica??es+Jogos Windows Phone (Portugal)
Pesquisar resultados para "diary" | Loja de Aplica??es+Jogos Windows Phone (Portugal)

Poorly designed, kiddy-like, rare updates and just plain fugly.

This is the app I used on iOS back in the iPhone 3G: Momento - diary / journal app for iPhone
This is the app I'd like to be using right now (because it syncs to other devices): Day One | A simple and elegant journal for iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

Some of you will start hating on me with blind rage stating that I'm the hater, that if I'm unhappy, I should leave WP and whatnot. I still like WP, always have and I want that made clear. But the apps are few and lacklustre and there's no way around that.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Food for thought:

Imagine someone would create a website similar to this one: The Sweet Setup ? We recommend the best apps for iPhone, iPad, and Mac

Now tell me, with all honesty, what apps would be good enough to be posted on a site like that. Short answer would be: not many and not as good.

It's the truth. The OP may have been harsh but, fact to the matter is, WP app devs may have good intentions, but their design flaws are big. There are two or three devs that stand out, but not much more. The rest is just god awful, has less features and is updated in a much less frequent way.

As an example, I've been searching for a half decent journal/diary app. This is what I'm presented with on WP by searching by each of those words:

Pesquisar resultados para "journal" | Loja de Aplica??es+Jogos Windows Phone (Portugal)
Pesquisar resultados para "diary" | Loja de Aplica??es+Jogos Windows Phone (Portugal)

Poorly designed, kiddy-like, rare updates and just plain fugly.

This is the app I used on iOS back in the iPhone 3G: Momento - diary / journal app for iPhone
This is the app I'd like to be using right now (because it syncs to other devices): Day One | A simple and elegant journal for iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

Some of you will start hating on me with blind rage stating that I'm the hater, that if I'm unhappy, I should leave WP and whatnot. I still like WP, always have and I want that made clear. But the apps are few and lacklustre and there's no way around that.

So you agree with the OP insulting every WP user on the face of the planet?

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
So you agree with the OP insulting every WP user on the face of the planet?

Oh my god... After all my post, that's what you have to ask me? Evasive much?

Put it to you this way: I don't feel insulted, I don't see how anyone should feel insulted (and I've read his post three times in search of something to be insulted about) and there's a lot of truth to what he said, no matter how harshly he said it.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

I agree that apps in iOS are a lot more optimized(generally not all), whereas WP lacks. But that's only in some apps where the developers don't pay attention to it. Just speaking of the apps, they are coming, as most of them are new, many in beta(I hope everyone understands this word & stop expecting much from "BETA" version of the apps)
I still have my old 710(28 months old), in which never did an app lag or crash!
As the developers are new to WP, there will be bugs, some are trying hard to fix it, some just ignore it leaving the people like OP to complain.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Oh my god... After all my post, that's what you have to ask me? Evasive much?

Put it to you this way: I don't feel insulted, I don't see how anyone should feel insulted (and I've read his post three times in search of something to be insulted about) and there's a lot of truth to what he said, no matter how harshly he said it.

I'll take that as a yes then, shall I?

The point is that the OP mentions Spotify which has a uniform look across all three platforms taking into account the visual styles of each OS so it's not that WP users have a low standard but rather that we want apps that look like they belong on the platform. Just take a look at the OneDrive app, it looks like it belongs on Android not on WP.

The point is that until WP gets enough market share for developers to give a ****, then we have to make do with what we've got.

I'm sorry to say this but your rant makes it look like you hate WP.

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I'll take that as a yes then, shall I?

The point is that the OP mentions Spotify which has a uniform look across all three platforms taking into account the visual styles of each OS so it's not that WP users have a low standard but rather that we want apps that look like they belong on the platform. Just take a look at the OneDrive app, it looks like it belongs on Android not on WP.

The point is that until WP gets enough market share for developers to give a ****, then we have to make do with what we've got.

I'm sorry to say this but your rant makes it look like you hate WP.

The problem is that it's not just Spotify...

We don't have to make do with anything. A lot of us pay for apps that end up having crap support on our platform. It's well within our right to complain about things that are wrongly made, period. Even if the app is free devs need to have some sort of pride in their trade, not just spew out some crap that any of us will put up with just because we have to "make do"...

I don't hate WP... Nowhere in my posts have you seen WP hate. What you've seen is incompetent dev hate. Different matter altogether. I think you should read again...

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

Yes I accept we have low standard for apps in wp.That is because we know what we will be getting by choosing a new os.I don't care about apps.As a phone I like it does not lag .For me loading or resuming for few seconds better than unfortunately process.com error in android.And ios is very expensive to own.That is true at least for India.

From Windows phone

Hypnopottamus

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
The "low" standard mainly stems from the fact that there is an actual OFFICIAL app. Unfortunately, many of the official app developers just port their apps over from Android/iOS, making it less than optimized for WP. This is the nature of the beast when trying to make a dent in the mobile space that is already saturated by Android and iOS. Developers just won't pay the attention needed to make the app experience optimized for the WP platform.

But I will argue that the apps that are optimized for the WP platform are even better than similar apps available on their Andriod/iOS counterparts. Although these are 3rd party apps, Rudy Huyn's Wikipedia and other apps like Metrotube and Mytube are much better UI wise and usability wise than their counterparts on other platforms. There are some REALLY good apps on WP that their counterparts don't have. Check out DivvyUp bill splitter by Oren Goldfinger or Photosynth or Lumia Cinemagraph. There are countless others that other people here can probably chime in with. But bottom line is, WP users don't have lower standards, its just that they like having official apps, something that will become more prevalent once WP marketshare rises.

portalfocus

May 11, 2013
Visit site

@Tasha Jaiswal Lumia 735, Whatsapp loads instantly. Can't load any faster ;)
When compared to a Moto G, a Lumia is definitely faster.
When is takes a little longer it depends more on the app then on the OS it runs.

More on the subject: my guess is people that use WP know they have the nicer UI and the App UI is more consistent.
People don't give stars for nothing. Perhaps try to understand the advantages instead of questioning their level of good judgement of apps.

Same with me Lumia 720, the App open very fast

UncleGrandpa

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

The bar is definitely set lower for WP apps as compared to Android or iPhone. In many cases where there are WP versions, they often lack the features of their Android or iPhone brethren. That will not change without a huge shift to WP.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site

That will not change without a huge shift to WP.
Not exactly. For apps that are useful on a Windows tablet, laptop or desktop the advent of universal apps means developers for those platforms (bigger numbers than iPhones or Android) can release Windows phone versions for a trivial time cost.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo