12-06-2014 10:44 AM
43 12
tools
    Authorised reseller.
    had it been a corp. store, I doubt that would have happened
    11-29-2014 08:15 AM
    Honestly as a tech savvy user I pick up stuff really quickly. I play around with things and catch on quick. This should however apply to any person with a few brain cells and living in a technological world. My parents are another story as they are old and retired and still use VHS. I have tested ios/android and windows on them. Currently they use ios but they still forget things if they don't use them for a while, things like share feature etc... The share button is odd in ios. So someone who doesn't use it often may forget. Apps/store is pretty simple for them. I usually install the apps for them though. Android they found really complicated and didn't want to use it. When they played around with windows they figured a lot of stuff on their own without asking me. They really liked that they could just make the tiles really big for stuff they use. The store they couldn't deal with and the settings was a huge no for them. Also none of the apps they actually use are out for Windows. In terms of settings they prefer ios but they don't go in there anyways.

So I think if you are speaking about older people and you preconfigure a device for them. They will likely have an easier time dealing with large tiles. It actually would be cool if microsoft allowed the really big tile on the smaller devices. It's up to me if I want it taking up half my screen.

Anyways, as far as other users go. If you have to sell the person on which one is easier to use then they are a dumb-***. Mobile phones can be figured out quite easily without even needing to be a techie. Just play around with it. Heck there's a freaking help app for all devices.
    raycpl likes this.
    11-29-2014 12:02 PM
    Such as?
    Have you been to settings?
    anon6002755 likes this.
    11-29-2014 12:04 PM
    I believe WP is good and easy, because of it's metro theme. I know grandmas' that love WP for it's easy interface. But then again, it really depends on your preferences.
    11-29-2014 02:21 PM
    My parents are another story as they are old and retired and still use VHS.

Mobile phones can be figured out quite easily without even needing to be a techie. Just play around with it. Heck there's a freaking help app for all devices.
    A 90 year old man once told me he it was hard to respect young people because they waste so much time doing things themselves. He said all he has to do is pretend he doesn't understand something and some young person jumps in and does it for him while he's reading the sports page or checking the market.
    psiu_glen, Guytronic and raycpl like this.
    11-29-2014 03:30 PM
    A 90 year old man once told me he it was hard to respect young people because they waste so much times doing things themselves. He said all he has to do is pretend he doesn't understand something and some young person jumps in and does it for him while he's reading the sports page or checking the market.
    LMAO

Though, it all depends on the thing in question.

Just got my mom a 928 and updated it, set up an account with security and everything for her, apps, everything. But I like playing around with a phone.

Last time she needed a computer though, she got a Dell. Wife's parents? Dell. Dad? HP (it was a weak, foolish, moment -- it had Vista on it too!).

I have no desire to spend my time assembling a PC anymore. Ugh.
    Guytronic likes this.
    11-29-2014 03:37 PM
    A 90 year old man once told me he it was hard to respect young people because they waste so much time doing things themselves. He said all he has to do is pretend he doesn't understand something and some young person jumps in and does it for him while he's reading the sports page or checking the market.
    LOL
    I try this all the time...
    Trouble is with people I know it doesn't work

The wife does this to me too...if she doesn't want to deal with a prob on her 635 she hands it to me with the "here Windows boy handle it"...
    Funny how it works the wife had worked in IC tech manufacturing for about 25 years before retiring.
    Laura Knotek and Timbre70 like this.
    11-29-2014 03:45 PM
    LOL
    I try this all the time...
    Trouble is with people I know it doesn't work .
    That's why God made billion and billions of people you don't know. ;)
    tgp, Guytronic and Robbed Time like this.
    11-29-2014 04:54 PM
    That's why God made billion and billions of people you don't know. ;)
    I need to get out there and find me some people :)
    11-29-2014 05:41 PM
    The problem is, carrier stores don't hire qualified people like other industries. If you want a job as a developer, you have to know how to develop the product they are selling. If you want a job as a engineer, you have to have an engineering background. But if you want to sell cell phones, you only need to have seen commercials.
    11-29-2014 07:31 PM
    all this fuss, no one has asked.... WHERE IS THIS STORE SO WE CAN CALL OR VISIT?
    11-29-2014 10:44 PM
    ........... BB10 easier than Windows Phone? I've only played with BB10 twice, but it seems to involve more unexplained gestures than Windows 8.0.

Makes me wonder what store this took place in. And what incentives the guy had (aside from possibly just enjoying BB10).

... heh. "I'm sick of looking at these unsold Z10's all day this past year and a half. I'm going to make it my personal mission to get rid of them!"
    Aresjr21 likes this.
    11-30-2014 02:53 AM
    windows phone 8.1 is not stable enough it have lots of problem my gps is not working at all it shows only a green spot(unknown location) anyone know how to solve this plese help me. i have done multiple hard reset and soft resset but the problem still persist
    11-30-2014 07:04 AM
    windows phone 8.1 is not stable enough it have lots of problem my gps is not working at all it shows only a green spot(unknown location) anyone know how to solve this plese help me. i have done multiple hard reset and soft resset but the problem still persist
    did you have your data on or connected to wifi?
    11-30-2014 07:20 AM
    i tried on both wifi and data still its not working
    11-30-2014 07:24 AM
    i tried on both wifi and data still its not working
    You stated earlier, but its sure your wifi/data is not fetching map data for you & hence it shows a green dot only (your location). go to settings > Maps > download and download map for you region and then see, it will work. if I look for a location without map data on my phone, it shows just a dot as my location on white screen.
    Last edited by ssapre; 11-30-2014 at 09:11 AM.
    raycpl likes this.
    11-30-2014 08:54 AM
    I bought one for my mom. Before giving it to her I dumbed it down. Removed everything on the start screen. Replaced it with 5 tiles of the family members faces she keeps in contact with. uninstalled all the other crap. no learning curve. one big *** tile for her music (which I organized into play lists because it's mom) and one for email. She is rocking and rolling with a simplistic start screen (hot pink with live tiles turned OFF they look intimidating at first to non-tech savvy folks). Prob solved. There is nothing else as simplistic or approachable as windows phone once it has been customized. There is nothing with that much user customization available either for that matter. OH! and MOM LOVES CORTANA, Mom goes "Cortana, remind me tomorrow to drop off holiday cards next time I see Drae" Cortana responds, the reminder is set. she gets an alarm. never had to navigate through calendar menus.

It could be complicated depending on how tech savvy you are and where you are coming from. I sometimes find myself being remedial/ignorant using other mobile OS after extended stays away.
    Timbre70 and mjrtoo like this.
    12-03-2014 10:28 AM
    I bought one for my mom. Before giving it to her I dumbed it down. Removed everything on the start screen. Replaced it with 5 tiles of the family members faces she keeps in contact with. uninstalled all the other crap. no learning curve. one big *** tile for her music (which I organized into play lists because it's mom) and one for email. She is rocking and rolling with a simplistic start screen (hot pink with live tiles turned OFF they look intimidating at first to non-tech savvy folks). Prob solved. There is nothing else as simplistic or approachable as windows phone once it has been customized. There is nothing with that much user customization available either for that matter. OH! and MOM LOVES CORTANA, Mom goes "Cortana, remind me tomorrow to drop off holiday cards next time I see Drae" Cortana responds, the reminder is set. she gets an alarm. never had to navigate through calendar menus.
    What he said ^^^

That's one of the great things about this OS, total personalization of the start screen.
    Timbre70 likes this.
    12-06-2014 10:44 AM
43 12