How to install no longer supported apps?

Slackulator

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I've downloaded 2 apps that are no longer supported from the store, but when I try to install them from SD via .xap they are grayed out.
Do I need to have the developer preview installed to do that, or is there any other way?

gahbmwm5

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Will have to check out VS Express..tried to install the Windows Insider app...no longer available for my L-920 AT&T Cyan firmware and latest DP OS...attempted to install the .xap file with no success..
Sent from my L920 via Tapatalk

gahbmwm5

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
'Your phone must be developer unlocked. Now follow this step:
1.Install Microsoft Visual studio 2013 ( with update 2). You can download it from Microsoft Web page.
2.After that install Windows Power tools (Latest version).
3. Now connect your phone with Pc.
4. Run Windows phone developer registration app from pc. ( It will be installed with Visual studio or Power tools)
5. Follow step . Enter your Microsoft account . After that your device will be registered for app deployment.
6. Now run Windows power tools and click on Connect button. (search you tube for how to install a xap with windows power tools, if you dont know how to use power tools...'

Will give this a go...hopefully then will be successful with loading up 'insider.xap file...' Lol!

gahbmwm5

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes, in my case...'App not available for your device'...when going to WP store-US on AT&T Cyan firmware 8.1 DP OS..I'm just looking for a certain ringtone...lol. Even emailed Insider Newsletter...got a automated reply..'On vacation...'....it is 'history' ..

gahbmwm5

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, it was worth a try...installed Virtual Studio2013 update4, and Windows Phone Power Tools v2.83.533355 (latest) and unfortunately when attempting to sideload the insider.cap file-->Power Tools states, 'this looks to be a marketplace.xap which is unsupported...'

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Marketplace xap files can't be installed using the sideloading method, I believe that there is some sort of check that has to be done before they install. In this case Insider is no longer available on the store meaning that even the SD Card install method won't work.

gahbmwm5

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks neo158, for confirming this...is what I thought when I got the 'opps error'..In any regards this entire process was a learning experience for moi..which is a good thing..lol. Not sure if I will keep both the VS2013 upgrade4 app on my laptop now...as it takes up @20GB....plus I'm not a developer...still presently have plenty of HD space on my hard drive...lol, just not sure if I will need VS2013 or WP Power Tool app...which requires the VS app..lol?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa