Is anyone else getting tired of waiting for MS to get it right?

Connor Price

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
To be honest, I'm not really 'tired' of waiting. I don't think much of it. I'm not a power user when it comes to my phone. Sure, I'll use it to browse the web or use a few apps and games when I'm out and about, but my usage doesn't stray too far from that apart from the usual calls and texts. A lot of the apps that are 'terrible' or 'outrageously slow' for example the Music app, In my opinion are still perfectly usable and do what they intend to do. The stock music app on iOS is pretty pants too. Not sure if it's changed, but from my ICS days, the music app on Android was incredibly bare bones and glitchy. I do agree that WP could do with a bit more polishing and tightening up but it's no where near as bad as some people are making it out to be. It's not like it's broken and doesn't function.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Oh good GAWD. These posts are tiresome. MOVE ONTO ANOTHER OS!! Every customer is entitled to an opinion but no company owes anyone anything. If youve been "loyal", thats consumer problem #1. If it doesnt suit your needs, find one that does. I jumped from iOS and couldnt be happier. Sure, ive only been here since the Lumia 900 and years ago had a Treo with Windows on it. Point being, this isnt a fresh take. It brings up no new points. We are ALL awaiting big things. Im hoping the 1030 is real. But the key is HOPING. Windows doesnt owe us a phone that suits everyones individual needs, its impossible. And to write an article about it means it consumes way too much of your time. So again(and again and again and again to all of you that post like this), MOVE ON. Lets keep forums open to ideas and CONSTRUCTIVE critiques. Yes, we have a tiny market share. Yes, its been that way for years. Yes, the OS has changed a lot of times. Yes, the app store isnt quite up to par with Droid and iOS. Yes, theres a lack of accessories due to small market share and accessory makers wanting to make money, not appease 4%. Yes, [insert any other negative thing]. THE END

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
This is what Microsoft needs to do IMO:

* Produce one low end, one mid range, one phablet and one flagship. Quit flooding the market with low end models!
* 1GB RAM minmum in all devices for the sake of user experience.
* Flash for cameras on low end models. It has to be pennies to add it!
* Start paying Devs to port popular apps to the store.
* End carrier exclusives.
* Actually market the product.
* Work with Carriers to get sales staff free WP phones so they will be encouraged to try WP and not dismiss it.
* Allow other browsers like Firefox.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I know how you feel as there are times I feel the same. But we are talking about a phone not a life style. A few months ago I decided to buy an Android (Moto G lte) phone to be a backup to my 820. Now I use both all the time. If Microsoft dosent't make it then I will go with Android alone. If they do then I will continue to use both. I like having a WP as its a horse of a different color; but I don't feel like I betrayed Microsoft because I use Android also. My computers are Microsoft and my tablets are Android.

Don't feel too bad. I think in the long run Microsoft will do alright and work their way up to around the same marketshare as Apple. But if they don't the world will not end. I still plan on upgrading my 820 to something higher when it becomes available in the WP future. But as someone who uses Windows and Android all the time I have found it is easy to enjoy both. There is very little difference between them when you look at what we do with them. Take care and I hope Windows gets better in your eyes so you will feel a little better about the situation. For me I am just going to sit back and enjoy the fact that we have so much to choose from. Like I said they are just phones.

felixl87

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft should be afraid of W10 failing than any OS update it has ever launched,if it doesn't work out, alot of people are going to be badly disappointed in MS...

shreadow

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with u
they just enjoy keep us waiting! they have all the money to have the best team working on software updates
Yet
they announce Denim and we have to wait 4-5 months if not more to get it?!
Apple announces and update and roll it the next day!!
i dont want the next day!
at least the next month
this is becoming so F... up!
WAKE UP MICROSOFT and give a feature rich OS ALREADY! (Actionnable notifications! a microphone intergated into the keyboard just like Swift keyboard has, and give us a Flagship 5"phone that has SD slot, gd battery!)

PabsTheGeek

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
After using Windows Phone 8.1 for the past 6 months, coming form iOS, I am disappointed to the fact I am going to switch back to Android (used android previously too). The biggest issues are the apps and their lack of official and poor features compared to iOS/Android versions. Plus Maps is useles, I've gotten lost several occasions where I revert to using Google maps on the browser when walking about.

I wouldn't say there was one ground breaking issue, more like many small annoyances that leave wanting a better experience elsewhere. I've not yet decided if I'll sell my Lumia 930 as I may want to check out Windows 10 in the future.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I suspect that under this new leadership, MS will get it right. I also understand that the phone department must pay for its own development so expect to see a lot of handsets with almost all of what it needs to have. You won't want those phones, probably, but we need to allow that development to continue and at some point, we'll get the flagship or flagships we are waiting for. But, if you can't wait, take off. Its all about you anyway.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure how it is for you guys where you live (since this may vary by country/city) but people in general look down on WP here. I live in Toronto, CA where WP is likely less than 1% market share. When people do see my phone, there's of course initial reactions regarding its size.. but outside that most common comments are usually "Is that the new iPhone?". Or "Is that Samsung phone?". Then I typically respond "No, it's a Windows Phone". Which is almost always follow by a moment of awkward silence and puzzled look of their face. Then their response is "Oh. I didn't know Windows made phones.". I have friends of course that aren't totally oblivious to the tech world and are familiar with WP but they would never consider buying one. And they can't figure out for the life of them why I chose to. I show my 1520 off whenever I get the chance. Though it's rare to find unbiased minds when it comes to smart phones these days. Most people have the attitude of "My phone is best. There is nothing better than MY phone". We know we've all met these people. But like I said earlier, I have been able to convince my parents, and couple of my closest friends to try it. A few went back to iPhone/Android after a few months. There reasons were the usual ones.. missing apps.. missing features. Yes, many of these features like multitasking came eventually. But very late. And while many people like myself stay loyal to WP with or without these features to many people that are not die-hard fans like us will not tolerate an absent must-have feature.

So my argument I guess is that I feel that MS needs to catch up in terms of features (hardware possibly even) with the latest and greatest flagship phones from Apple/Android. Yes everything does work as intended on WP, there's no complaints on that. I love my WP and utilize it to the max. And it does everything I demand of it 95% of the time. But I feel it's missing some of that wow factor. You can blame it on marketing (I know I do) or blame it on whatever you like. But the general consensus here is that WP is not cool. I try to show off some of the features to friends that I personally find cool. Like the social integration. The live tiles. The beautiful pictures it takes and the live picture feature. Cortana. But outside of that most people I speak to aren't really that impressed. They feel there phone does the same mine does, but better. The general reputation of the MS brand as we know is tarnished and the assumption of WP is still firstly, that it's missing a lot apps. Yes we have some great 3rd party apps but people want the exact app they are using on their iPhone or Android bottom-line. I tried to push someone to WP recently until he went through my app store to make sure all of his important apps he used most were available. Once he saw they weren't that was enough to keep him from trying something new. Silly, I agree but a reality.

I'm a loyal user as much as anyone else here. And while it's easy to respond to my opinions with "If you're tired go buy an iPhone". But my point is I don't to buy an iPhone, Android or BB. I just want to own a phone that's just as complete and has just a much wow factor as any of these other phones. I want more reason to brag why my Windows Phone is just as good, cool or better than anyone else's iPhone or GS5. But right now, it's hard to impress or sway people to WP. I know this will change or hope it will with Windows 10. But seeing as I've invested into MS' vision since the beginning of time I'd just really like to see them finally nail it.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You're probably talking to the wrong crowd on here. :p

Too many people are fed up with people having a whinge and just want WP to happen. Especially with the new super dooper W10 around the corner which has overly high expectations. Add the possible new 1030 (or whatever it may be called) and you can't really dampen most people's opinions as most don't care what the nay sayers say. As long as WP has a good camera and is a good experience in their eyes that's all that matters.

Flagship taking forever or the ones that are out are old tech? That's ok, WP runs great on low end/old hardware, it doesn't need new flashy stuff. Just buy a low or mid range phone and wait for the flagship... well that's what I've been told a couple of times.

Anyway, what I can tell you is this. Wait until W10 comes, see if it's what you want, if not, move to something else. I did. I'm on Android, have the same or better experience than I did on WP. I simply got tired. Like you. I'm way more happier now.

I still own my WP as I'm curious to see what W10 brings.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm a loyal user as much as anyone else here. And while it's easy to respond to my opinions with "If you're tired go buy an iPhone". But my point is I don't to buy an iPhone, Android or BB. I just want to own a phone that's just as complete and has just a much wow factor as any of these other phones. I want more reason to brag why my Windows Phone is just as good, cool or better than someone else's iPhone or GS5. But right now, as is it's hard to impress or sway people to WP. I know this will change or hope it will with Windows 10. But seeing as I've invested into MS' vision since the beginning of time I'd just really like to see them finally nail it.

I get your disappointment, but you really aren't leaving any room for solutions here. As I read it, you don't want to change to a different phone OS but you also don't want to use WP because the world doesn't consider it cool. That reminds me of the adage "worrying is like a rocking chair--it gives you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere." I guess you are just venting, which is fine, but it doesn't allow for much conversation. As you say, hopefully this will change with Windows 10. I hope you find a solution that works for you.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
To the OP, first you have to define what is "get it right". I get the feeling you're trying to justify your choice of OS to those who mock you by showing off some kind of feature nobody else has. News flash, it ain't gonna happen. I'm not one to tell you "get an Android or iPhone" since that solves nothing. I will say that WP is about as complete an OS as their is. There are some apps missing (so I'm told) but that depends on the individual user. I'm assuming nobody pays your bills so if you're ok with what WP does for you, tell the mockers to go mock themselves if you know what I mean.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I guess you are just venting, which is fine, but it doesn't allow for much conversation. As you say, hopefully this will change with Windows 10. I hope you find a solution that works for you.

I think venting is pretty much what I'm doing lol. I've done my best to show support for WP over the years but it just feels like WP users will always be the uncool underdogs and will always be playing catch up. I'd be nice to see the tables turn one day.

I'm eager to see what phones will comes with Windows 10.. This time around I'd like to see carrier support, I'd like to see an abundance of marketing, I'd like to see smart marketing (take some examples from companies like Apple who do it well), I'd like to see flagships offered by carriers here, I'd like to see some killer features. I hate hearing about another exclusive feature or app from WP that is heading to iOS or Android. Overall, I just want to see WP succeed and become real competition and not just continue to be a niche product for a small user base.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I think venting is pretty much what I'm doing lol. I've done my best to show support for WP over the years but it just feels like WP users will always be the uncool underdogs and will always be playing catch up. I'd be nice to see the tables turn one day.

I'm eager to see what phones will comes with Windows 10.. This time around I'd like to see carrier support, I'd like to see an abundance of marketing, I'd like to see smart marketing (take some examples from companies like Apple who do it well), I'd like to see flagships offered by carriers here, I'd like to see some killer features. I hate hearing about another exclusive feature or app from WP that is heading to iOS or Android. Overall, I just want to see WP succeed and become real competition and not just continue to be a niche product for a small user base.

I agree with you on the marketing, flagships and killer features. I don't mind the optimization of iOS or Android apps because I think it will just raise the level of awareness of what MS is doing and some of those people might choose to try out a Windows phone in the future. I would think any rational consumer would want WP to succeed because competition produces real benefits for the masses.

As for experiencing a coolness factor for Windows as a phone OS, that is a tough row to hoe at this point. However, coolness is an ephemeral experience and you never know what will become popular overnight. I don't see WP becoming cool any time soon, but the roll-out of Windows 10 is the type of thing that is needed to create a buzz and subsequent coolness. I don't really mind that it's not cool. No one has given me grief over it--possibly because I don't try to sell it to anyone either. If people want to know about my phone I'm happy to let them know what my experience has been, but the ultimate choice is theirs.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
To op: I totally have the same view as you do. Come on, Microsoft is a software company. It should be the top, it should stand out in terms of features and functionality. But nope, it doesn't.

There are features where I appreciate on WP, but that's all. One example is the clever use of proximity sensor when we get a notification, like WhatsApp messages. It won't light up the screen if it senses something blocking the sensor, and when we take it out, voila. It lights up.

Thing is, Microsoft often put in interesting and useful features. But... They do not include common basic functionality for day to day use. The whole OS just feels... Not complete. Like there's something missing. And Microsoft doesn't seem to care.

As I mentioned earlier. Microsoft is a software company. Can't it make software that doesn't lag even when functionality is added? That's just an excuse. It's poor coding.

Okay, time for me to rant. I hate those people, who whine about whiners, especially when they're not, like in this op's case. You might disagree, but there's no denying that he has a point. Hello, this is a forum. A forum is a place for everyone to voice out their opinions. Nobody needs to know if you're tired of hearing these 'whines'. You don't like his opinion? Just shut up. What? You think you're all great and almighty?

Please, don't get me started.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
There are features where I appreciate on WP, but that's all. One example is the clever use of proximity sensor when we get a notification, like WhatsApp messages. It won't light up the screen if it senses something blocking the sensor, and when we take it out, voila. It lights up.

Yup. There's little things my girlfriend's GS5 does that I will admit I find interesting. I like the fact she has a notification light for one. Lights up one color for missed calls, another for missed notifications. I like that if she's missed a call as soon as you pick up the phone it vibrates to let you know you've missed something. I like the fact she can charge her phone when it's powered off. I like the charging animation it displays with it. Her phone also takes pictures more quickly than my 1520. Her camera also somehow takes less blurry pics than mine does. Not sure why but my 1520 is more prone to blurry pics with moving objects. Yes I know updates are coming to help with some of these things. But that's thing. Updates are always coming to help WP catch up. Our notification system is also lacking in comparison. Looking foward to seeing some improvements in Win10!

rQvsnaps

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Did they fix video player streaming yet?
I've been on a s4 lately (snapdragon 800 version) while my 1020 has been in for repairs 4 times.....

Agree btw. But still miss the nokia :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium