The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
08-12-2015 12:13 AM
78 1234
tools
    Without high end developers joining the frame, such as Google, I can't see WP succeeding. There are many WP developer releasing "google" like apps that simply are a sham with 4+ star reviews. There's even one for Google Chrome browser with 4.5 stars and its less than 1Mb download!! This shall be the downfall of WP.

Since Microsoft ditching Windows Phone 7 and not providing an easy upgrade for developers, then announcing Windows 10 with radical development changes, why would a company write an app for Windows Phone 8 only to redo it completely for Windows 10? This is the issue.
    N_LaRUE and Lundon44 like this.
    12-05-2014 02:42 AM
    Since Microsoft ditching Windows Phone 7 and not providing an easy upgrade for developers, then announcing Windows 10 with radical development changes.
    Where are you getting this from? The radical API changes happened from W7 to W8. Since then not so radical. W8.1 also brought over a lot of new APIs from RT, but developers were never forced to change their apps. WP was always backwards compatible from a devs point of view.

AFAIK WP10's APIs are expected to stay largely as they are now, probably with the smallest number of API changes WP has ever experienced with a new major release. There will be a few new APIs coming in from RT and maybe we'll get a new version of DirectX, but those will all be new APIs, not changes to existing ones!

There will of course be a few radical changes, but not to APIs.
    Last edited by a5cent; 12-05-2014 at 10:01 AM. Reason: formatting
    12-05-2014 03:24 AM
    i have this idea:

smartphone entry level-> iOS
    Smartphone midcore user -> Windows Phone
    Hardcore user-> Android

Where mid core and hardcore stands for technical competence
    12-05-2014 07:05 AM
    How can write such long texts. Its a phone! Get a life!!!!

Windows phone is quite new, so it needs some time yo develop. So keep calm. You cant expect windows phone to compete to ios and android just like that...it needs time!
    So again. Stop whining and get a life.
    Or switch to another system and come back in a while. It will be better.
    FYI, Android debuted in 2008. 2 years ahead of Windows Phone 7. So you're suggesting in 2 years WP will match Android marketshare? Because 6 yrs vs 4yrs is a huge difference? I find that hard to believe. If they make some radical improvements and fullfil the promises of Windows 10 they'll gain a little marketshare. But at this rate I don't see Windows Phone competing with Android or iOS anytime soon.
    12-05-2014 11:28 AM
    What I don't understand about these these types of threads is why do WP users constantly feel compelled to compare WP to iOS or Android? I could care less what phone anybody else uses. If you're not happy on WP, then switch to something else and stop complaining. Move on already. These threads are getting old. They're all repetitive and serve no real purpose.
    12-05-2014 11:49 AM
    They're all repetitive and serve no real purpose.
    Sorta like these comments?
    12-05-2014 11:57 AM
    Sorta like these comments?
    No, more like these.
    portalfocus likes this.
    12-05-2014 01:44 PM
    No, more like these.
    resized_the-most-interesting-man-world-meme-generator-i-don-t-always-comment-but-when-i-d.jpg
    12-05-2014 02:11 PM
    While I could spend more time on this idiocy, I'm going to opt out. You've lowered the bar far enough. Buh bye.
    portalfocus and the-wrangler like this.
    12-05-2014 03:00 PM
    What I don't understand about these these types of threads is why do WP users constantly feel compelled to compare WP to iOS or Android? I could care less what phone anybody else uses. If you're not happy on WP, then switch to something else and stop complaining. Move on already. These threads are getting old. They're all repetitive and serve no real purpose.
    I disagree. Not only are users entitled to their opinion and to manifest their angst (or otherwise), but also these threads are a good indicator of what is going on with the platform. How is anything supposed to be better if no one complains?

Yes, it's repetitive, but there's a lot of facts that can't be denied around here that are simply negative.
    Lundon44 and Evronian like this.
    12-05-2014 03:10 PM
    How is anything supposed to be better if no one complains?
    I'll bite. How does complaining in a users' forum make anything better? Shouldn't those complaints be directed toward the manufacturer instead of readers that can do nothing about it? I see all kinds of advantages in describing user experiences and documenting problems, but I admit I don't really get the rinse and repeat rants--other than it obviously makes the poster feel better or something. Just my $0.02. I wouldn't tell people not to post rants, but I do like to share my opinion that I think they are misplaced in this type of forum.
    a5cent and portalfocus like this.
    12-05-2014 04:54 PM
    I'll bite. How does complaining in a users' forum make anything better? Shouldn't those complaints be directed toward the manufacturer instead of readers that can do nothing about it? I see all kinds of advantages in describing user experiences and documenting problems, but I admit I don't really get the rinse and repeat rants--other than it obviously makes the poster feel better or something. Just my $0.02. I wouldn't tell people not to post rants, but I do like to share my opinion that I think they are misplaced in this type of forum.
    It doesn't. Doesn't mean they can't manifest their opinion either way. Not to mention you never know who's reading.

Truth to the matter is, people are only tired of it because most know that what's being said in this thread is true and they're tired of knowing it. If it was someone praising, those same people couldn't get enough of it.

You are as free to let them know that the "rants" are misplaced as they are of posting them. However, there are people that do the same as you with less, shall we say, grace. And that's not cool.
    a5cent, badcat, Lundon44 and 1 others like this.
    12-05-2014 06:28 PM
    It doesn't. Doesn't mean they can't manifest their opinion either way. Not to mention you never know who's reading.

Truth to the matter is, people are only tired of it because most know that what's being said in this thread is true and they're tired of knowing it. If it was someone praising, those same people couldn't get enough of it.

You are as free to let them know that the "rants" are misplaced as they are of posting them. However, there are people that do the same as you with less, shall we say, grace. And that's not cool.
    I agree with most of what you said, other than I do think readers here can handle the truth about the shortcomings of WP. A lot of it is the presentation. It's kind of like reading some of the reviews on Amazon--there's a subculture that forms that for some reason or another seeks to inject maximum drama into an otherwise knowledge-based interaction. I look at posts here a lot differently if it reads something like "Xbox Music still not working properly despite new update" as opposed to "Biggest MS fan evah has finally had it!!!"
    a5cent and badcat like this.
    12-05-2014 06:49 PM
    I can answer that for you. If any of the movers and shakers at Microsoft read this forum, Verizon users would all be on 8.1, carriers would have prominent displays and properly trained salespeople and Lumias would all have removable batteries and SD slots. Oh, and Google services too, almost forgot about that one.
    badcat likes this.
    12-05-2014 09:46 PM
    I disagree. Not only are users entitled to their opinion and to manifest their angst (or otherwise), but also these threads are a good indicator of what is going on with the platform. How is anything supposed to be better if no one complains?

Yes, it's repetitive, but there's a lot of facts that can't be denied around here that are simply negative.
    Thank you for raising the the bar with a well written and reasoned post. I guess my point was that it's just usually the same sort of comments, saying the same thing, ad infinitum. While I won't deny the OS could stand some improvement, the constant barrage of complaints gets old, at least for me. If I was MS was reading these forums I would probably come to the conclusion that these people will NEVER be happy, no matter what we give them.
    portalfocus and the-wrangler like this.
    12-06-2014 06:36 AM
    I agree with most of what you said, other than I do think readers here can handle the truth about the shortcomings of WP. A lot of it is the presentation. It's kind of like reading some of the reviews on Amazon--there's a subculture that forms that for some reason or another seeks to inject maximum drama into an otherwise knowledge-based interaction. I look at posts here a lot differently if it reads something like "Xbox Music still not working properly despite new update" as opposed to "Biggest MS fan evah has finally had it!!!"
    Thank you for raising the the bar with a well written and reasoned post. I guess my point was that it's just usually the same sort of comments, saying the same thing, ad infinitum. While I won't deny the OS could stand some improvement, the constant barrage of complaints gets old, at least for me. If I was MS was reading these forums I would probably come to the conclusion that these people will NEVER be happy, no matter what we give them.
    I understand that perfectly.

WP is a niche segment for now (or that's the way I see it anyway) and no one who chose the platform and enjoys it likes to discover that there's an increasing number of disgruntled users. We all recognize that there are shortcomings and that the unhappy users are free to move along instead of creating threads like these, but I always encourage myself to try and understand their points, because even though they are "ranting", they must be doing it (or at least I hope they are) because they still care in some way. Of course, judgements can be clouded on both sides after a few posts given the way some people write, but that happens to the best of us.

As for myself, the only thing that makes me unhappy at the platform is the pace at which basic functionalities get added. Although it didn't affect me at the time, the copy&paste update was something that made me "rant" to no end in other forums. And we have another example coming from just yesterday when after months of having an Action Centre, we finally got a data toggle that should've been there from the get-go. But at least we finally got it, so now I can shut up :P
    badcat and wpn00b like this.
    12-06-2014 06:54 AM
    MS has got it right
    12-06-2014 07:35 AM
    MS needs to get the Store search function right. Try searching for known existing apps and search results are horrible and out of context, even inputs have been very specific. It either does not return with the desired result or give you a long funny list of irrelevant apps and that specific app is buried at the bottom of the list.

No wonder, too many people, especially to the newbies, have been complaining about lack of apps when it's there.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    12-06-2014 07:43 AM
    MS needs to get the Store search function right. Try searching for known existing apps and search results are horrible and out of context, even inputs have been very specific. It either does not return with the desired result or give you a long funny list of irrelevant apps and that specific app is buried at the bottom of the list.

No wonder, too many people, especially to the newbies, have been complaining about lack of apps when it's there.
    Ha, finding an app in the Store is like looking for Waldo. I often end up finding them on my computer and installing them on my WP from there.
    12-06-2014 07:58 AM
    Just getting tired of people whining.... :)
    thank you.
    12-06-2014 09:02 AM
    Exactly my words.
    12-06-2014 09:13 AM
    Isn't it about time to close this posting. Haven't we regurgitated this as much as can be regurgitated?
    badcat likes this.
    12-06-2014 09:56 AM
    Too much whine-fest in WC. I say "Terminate with extreme prejudice"!!!
    xandros9 likes this.
    12-06-2014 10:07 AM
    Isn't it about time to close this posting. Haven't we regurgitated this as much as can be regurgitated?
    I second the motion.
    Aresjr21 likes this.
    12-06-2014 10:10 AM
    I can answer that for you. If any of the movers and shakers at Microsoft read this forum, Verizon users would all be on 8.1, carriers would have prominent displays and properly trained salespeople and Lumias would all have removable batteries and SD slots. Oh, and Google services too, almost forgot about that one.
    "Hey guys! Guess what I just found out! Our users want software updates on VZW, not just on the other carriers! Isn't that weird? I thought anyone who used Big Red didn't want any updates at all!!!"
    (VZW rejected that update mind you.)

"And it looks like we have to actually sell our devices too! These people on this board have made all the decisions for us! Its incredible! We just have to snap our fingers and all the carriers will be bending over backwards to sell our phones!!"

"And removable batteries and microSD cards are a requirement now, potential design, physics, tradeoffs be screwed, since we have all seen the utter failure of the iPhone which has neither!"

"And wow! People actually use Google! We better ask nicely for Google to make their services open to us, a potential competitor, since they've been so nice in the past!"
    (because MSFT sure is in a position of power here)

I'm only somewhat joking, but I highly doubt any remotely competent mover or shaker would need to read forums to get some of the obvious things, like that people are going to want an update or whatnot.
    a5cent likes this.
    12-06-2014 10:19 AM
78 1234