Is anyone else getting tired of waiting for MS to get it right?

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I've been a loyal WP user since my UTStarcom 6700 running Windows Mobile. I moved onto the HTC Diamond, HTC Titan 1 & 2, HTC HD7, Lumia 900, 920 and now the 1520. During these years I did for a short time own an Android device and an iPhone 4S (never a Blackberry). They just weren't for me. I've enjoyed watching the progression over the years and seeing all the strides WP has made. I've always enjoyed my experiences for the most part. I've also experienced some serious bugs in my time with WP and extremely frustrating moments too. One that sticks in my mind forever is when my HTC Titan 2 would crash once internal storage reached near its 16GB limit and would force me to hard reset. Which I ended up having to do... about 8-9 times over a 12 month period. However, for the most part I will say I've greatly enjoyed other things from integration of Xbox, PC and tablets, to the build quality of hardware from Nokia and the quality of their cameras. I love the ease and simplicity of my phone. I hated waiting years for some of the important apps and games to arrive. And I still do encounter bugs and system glitches on occasion that make me scratch my head. I get nothing is perfect but WP seems to be the furthest from perfect despite how hard it's been trying to get it right.

And no matter what, after all ll these years a few things just haven't changed. Market Share and always being behind in features. I'm the first one to defend WP to people I know. I'm always the only one at social events with a WP. I'm the only one I've seen in my company of about 600 employees with a WP. I get mocked by friends and colleagues for having what they consider to be an "obsolete" phone. I disregard the comments and show them how great the pictures are my 1520 takes in comparison to their Androids or Blackberries. In my building I've seen maybe 2 people with WP's. And then about 30 in the wild over the years. I've gotten my mom, dad, and at least 3-4 other friends to try the move to WP. Some liked it and stuck with it, some moved on as Canadian carriers stopped distributing high end WP devices. And while for the most part I brush off the eye rolling when I take out my phablet (whether it's for the size, or the OS) but I'm now starting to really wonder.. Will MS and WP ever get it right? Hardware specs are always months behind Android (except camera specs), the OS is always catching up with crucial features other OS' have. The interface while modern is starting to feel a little bland after all these years of use. I'd love to really seeing WP catch on to the general public rather than the niche techies like myself. And while there's so many reasons we can blame MS, it's lack of marketing, or carriers I have to wonder will this EVER change?

Every year I used to see predictions on WP marketshare taking leaps and bounds. And every year it's still the same or barely moved. I'd love to see WP really start delivering on features and hardware but I feel like I'm just convincing myself every year that it will come eventually. Or maybe I just like being the only one on the block with a phone that's not what everyone else has. I look around at my friends with their GS5's, Notes, iPhone 6's... even Blackberries. And while I prefer the modern look of WP over the sea of icons and 7 homescreens of widgets I can see so many "little" touches on these devices that make it clear to me why people love them. I've owned this 1520 for over a year now. It's actually the longest I've kept a single device in over 4 yrs without upgrading to something better. I'm very disappointed that MS hasn't released a new flagship in over 12 months. Apple and Samsung would never allow such a thing. I'm even forced to buy most of my phones unlocked and from online retailers because Canada doesn't have faith in carrying most WP devices.

I consider from time to time what my life would be like if I did decide to give up on WP and make the change. I think I could do it but I keep saying hold on, something BIG has to be around the corner. I just feel that MS makes it really hard to be a fan when there's so much more they can offer us.

Last edited:

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if you're referring to my post but I wouldn't call it whining. I'd say I'm feeling slightly tired of waiting for a "complete" experience that's been promised year after year. Besides, even if I was whining I think I'd be entitled to after having spent 8 years with various MS devices lol.

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Perfection is relative to the users opinion. To me, whether WP advances to the juggernaut it promises every year to be or fades into a niche device market I will never grow tired of it. I see it as technology constantly changing, growing, and adapting. To live on the bleeding edge has its drawbacks, and things we thought to be important turns into gimmicks. I think sometimes it's staring at the other sides grass and thinking those pastures are nicer. I try not be that way.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
yea the same thoughts have crossed my mind, but at the end of the day, do you know why I have a windows phone? because I don't like apple and their closed kid's garden for my personal use, and I hate google, and I don't like to rely on open source software, so what are my options? windows phone, it was Symbian for a while but when I heard the news of it getting ditched in favor of windows I was happy all day, I don't care what android or ios can do that wp cant, its not worth it to even consider "switching" just think about the things that only wp can provide and are critical to your daily routine, I wish people would be thinking of new innovative things to do that are only possible with windows instead of asking devs to keep cloning android and ios apps and functionality, this lack of focus is what's killing the platform, following the other 2 instead of paving its own road

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I hear ya as well. Currently using a 1520 which I love but it is frustrating being a WP supporter sometimes. Between the lack of new flagships, to carrier exclusives that are really stunting WP's growth, to the retail issues with sales reps that are never addresses, to the confusing to the average user naming conventions and overall lack of proper marketing/messaging, it is frustrating. There are 3 things keeping me here. I hate google and do not trust them at all. I will never support Apple. And the live tiles are genius and the whole WP experience is enjoyable.

I will say tho that I am seriously thinking of getting a Blackberry Passport as a 2nd phone for now while I learn how to navigate their new OS and then see where things go. My dream phone would be that with WP on it. So yes, it's frustrating sometimes, yes I think about leaving or at least cheating some. Having said that, I really love WP, I believe in Microsoft's products and that's the issue. I know what we have here, I know what we could have still but they just never seem to get things right. Not for me necessarily but for the people they need to convince.

I will say this. Microsoft has an issue that no one ever addresses and it has been preventing them from being more successful. They are not "cool". But its not that they just aren't cool in peoples eyes, it's that alot of people have a dislike for Microsoft and Windows. WP should have been Surface Phone. Take Microsoft and Windows completely out of the naming picture much like Google did with "Android". There would be Surface Phones, Surface tablets and Surface OS market share. I also think putting Microsoft on their new phones is a mistake. Alot of people just don't like them and it's been like that since the antitrust days.

But, the next Windows looks great, one OS, the same app for all devices all sounds great. I expect some impressive phones soon and the Surface is already a incredible piece of hardware. They have 6 months to show me why I want to stay and I actually believe they will do it this time. Man they tick me off sometimes tho.

Last edited:

mohit9206

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft needs to get the OS right. The constant resuming screens are annoying to deal with which makes multitasking a problem.

Sent from my Moto E using Tapatalk.

Dk92

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
You're totally right, I've had the same sentiments since last year. Look at the transition from wp7 to wp8.1, they're pretty much identical, besides the home screen and action menu which I use pretty often. Microsoft needs to make some serious changes with WP going forward. Pushing the same formula since 2007 (the zune days) isn't going to cut it anymore. I'm starting to think beginning from scratch with WP7 so late in the game was the beginning of the end from the get go.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Not sure if you're referring to my post but I wouldn't call it whining. I'd say I'm feeling slightly tired of waiting for a "complete" experience that's been promised year after year. Besides, even if I was whining I think I'd be entitled to after having spent 8 years with various MS devices lol.

No, it's whinning.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
As a customer we're all entitled to share feedback on our user experiences and opinions. To sit here and defend that WP is perfect is a very big lie. It gets a lot right, and it gets a lot wrong. If WP was perfect I wouldn't have to reset my device a few times a week because of the odd bug that needs to be cleared. I've performed well over a dozen factory resets since WP 7. I'm also a heavy power user so I likely encounter issues than a casual user may never see. And then there's people that just find a way to live with things that aren't working as they should. I'm the last person that needs to be convinced that WP is a niche product. I know this and it's also one of the reasons I love this phone. I love having something feels "fresh" and not having a phone that 65% of the world has in their pockets. My PC at home runs Windows 8.1, my laptop and tablet run Windows 8.1. I own a 360 and Xbox One. I have no hate for MS or their products that most people have. The fact of the matter is, I've probably sold more MS products and even WP to family and friends than my local Rogers store has.

Apple, Blackberry and Google are not perfect. And I dislike that the general perception is that they are. But personally, I feel WP is the furthest of all from what anyone would consider a near perfect phone. It's year after year of playing catching up with features and hardware. Yes, WP does a lot that is great, and in some instances better than the competition. And while none of this sways my dedication to buying a new WP 6 - 12 months I can't wait for the day that owning a WP is considered "cool". That may never happen and I've already accepted that idea. But I would like to see WP at least on par with the competition regardless if the majority of people love their phones or not. Call it whining, complaining or whatever you want but at least I'm being honest and one of the few to admit it still has a long way to go to be considered "cool".

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't share OP's sentiment because I don't worry about stuff that is out of my control. Also, WP works for me despite its shortcomings--otherwise I would switch in a nanosecond. I would say that if he is tired of waiting for MS to get it right, now would be a good time to try something new. Since there was disappointment with the past use of Android and iOS, maybe it's time to try a BlackBerry phone.

As for the specific issues, I didn't see much new there: bugs, apps, marketshare, boredom, and social stigma. All legitimate criticisms, and in my mind, if they are bothersome to the point that it generates an emotional response it might be time to go in a different direction.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I'll tell you what I'm tired of, all these whiners !
"I consider from time to time what my life would be like if I did decide to give up on WP and make the change"
A life ?
If you've been using WP since 2004-2005? and unhappy you're either a masochist or just want sympathy. :wink: But seriously we WP users have to be somewhat masochistic to keep coming back for more punishment. I know I am !

Last edited:

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
[a lot] of people have a dislike for Microsoft and Windows. WP should have been Surface Phone. Take Microsoft and Windows completely out of the naming picture much like Google did with "Android"

Can't argue with that. I posted elsewhere on WC that there is a justified negative perception perception of both Microsoft and Windows. Microsoft's monopolistic tactics of the past coupled with the never ending stream of security updates to Windows / innumerable viruses / registry issues / terrible browser / etc ... well, it's not a happy story. It was these things that stopped me moving to Windows Phone sooner. It took a lot of persuasion before I allowed myself to take a change on Windows Phone.

Not sure that 'Surface Phone' is the right name for Windows Phone, though. Surface devices weren't initially a great success. xBox is successful, so how about xPhone (though that might be derided for being too similar to iPhone.) Goes to show that MS needs to hire a great marketing team that can show that the phone stands on its own merits rather than trying to compare it with an iPhone.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Apparently people aren't allowed to voice opinions about WP on a dedicated WP forum lol. If you think it's great and perfect then awesome. If you can't stand reading posts on opinions that aren't biased then you can choose not to read them or comment.

Trust me, if I was fed up with the shortcomings I obviously would have switched to another platform by now. There's a 99.99% chance that when MS announces a new flagship device that it will be the next device I upgrade too. I'm simply saying sharing an opinion that I'd love to stop having to wait for the next major update every year to get the features that we should have had day one. I still don't have an app for my bank which is completely ridiculous. Carriers in are paranoid to carry WP devices. It took them 3-4 months after launch for them to carry the 1020. They barely marketed it, and they sat on stockpiles for 6 months. Then the promoted the hell out of it 8 months after release as if it was the ONLY WP device to buy. Meanwhile, the 1520 and 930 were selling like hotcakes in other parts of the world. I'm sick of buying unlocked devices because carriers don't have faith in WP. There's clearly reasons for this. There's reasons they don't sell here. A lot of that has to do with non-existant marketing. I've single 2 commericals for WP here in the last 3 yrs in Canada. All they've had here since the 1020 is a bunch of low end models. We just got the 830.. big whoop. Great phone yes, but some people would rather a 930 or 1520. No one cares about WP here, literally no one. Except for the small 2% of users like myself. I've seen 3 of my friends that I talked into trying WP switch back to iPhone or Android because they were missing features or apps they were used to having on these other OS's.

Sure, we can all sit here and say it's good enough for me so that's all that matters. But we respresent a VERY small percentage of users. I'd love to see WP become a very successful platform. I've been very patient and hopeful. I keep saying to everyone "Next year.. you'll see". Next year comes and we're still behind the 8 ball. Like I said, none of my comments will keep me from upgrading to the next flagship device.. BB, iPhone and Android are defintely not options right now...but I just wish we'd finally be REAL contenders and start seeing some real increases in marketshare.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Apparently people aren't allowed to voice opinions about WP on a dedicated WP forum lol. If you think it's great and perfect then awesome. If you can't stand reading posts on opinions that aren't biased then you can choose not to read them or comment.

I wouldn't sweat it. In fairness, you aren't really giving commenters much in the way of options--it's either sympathize with you or nothing. It's not like there is a counter-argument other than "I see things differently." I certainly don't think WP is perfect so that is your interpretation of mine and others' comments. I also don't think you are bringing up any new criticisms, more it is just bundling it together into a boiling-point post. I think the reaction would be different if there weren't so many of these posts that have come before you. That being said, please don't interpret my comment as an infringement on your right to present an opinion.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Microsoft has a nice product with Windows Phone. The problem is selling it and converting Android and IPhone users and that is difficult. What makes it even more difficult is the exclusive phones and the US carriers. For me, I'm on Verizon and will stay on Verizon. Everyone knows that the support for WP on Verizon is almost nil, except for some reason, they have gotten some nice Windows Phones. Right now, even as a long-time WP user, I'm using an Android because the future of WP, especially on Verizon, does not look promising.

Kurdis Blough

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
OP, like you I am an old school user of Windows phone. My first device was the PPC 6600. I left Windows for Android around Touch pro 2.

I am hear reading your post because after my experience with Windows CE I have no loyalty to any platform or company. I have used Android for years because of the speed of development in hardware and software and the options. I have options in hardware software and features from multiple OEMs on the carrier of my choosing. No other platform offers the level of choice that Android does.

How does this relate? Stop giving a pass to Microsoft. I bought HTC exclusively for years. Evo 3D stopped that. Was a Windows phone junkie, Windows phone 7 stopped that. Loved my Note 2, Samsung was my choice for a while, incremental hardware updates fixed that. Could go on

Microsoft was business as usual until they realized that very few people were buying their wares. Money is the only agent of change for such a huge company.

In saying all that I suggest that if you feel as you do try another platform. If anything Microsoft needs to step up it's game. I have no opposition to returning to Windows, or BlackBerry for that matter, but they have to earn it.

It's upgrade time for me. I'm not buying a year old phone cause Windows. I guess they don't want me as a customer. Microsoft has nothing on the market today that I consider an upgrade. Their loss

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb