Is anyone else getting tired of waiting for MS to get it right?

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Yup. There's little things my girlfriend's GS5 does that I will admit I find interesting. I like the fact she has a notification light for one. Lights up one color for missed calls, another for missed notifications. I like that if she's missed a call as soon as you pick up the phone it vibrates to let you know you've missed something. I like the fact she can charge her phone when it's powered off. I like the charging animation it displays with it. Her phone also takes pictures more quickly than my 1520. Her camera also somehow takes less blurry pics than mine does. Not sure why but my 1520 is more prone to blurry pics with moving objects. Yes I know updates are coming to help with some of these things. But that's thing. Updates are always coming to help WP catch up. Our notification system is also lacking in comparison. Looking foward to seeing some improvements in Win10!

Blurry photos are due to shower shutter speed used on Lumias. Good for capturing landscapes or object. Horrible for moving objects. It's a matter of priority.

Lumias prioritize more on taking pictures of objects and landscapes and it hopes for the highest possible quality(lower ISO). However,gs5 have the different approach. If in not mistaken, the slowest speed it will go is 1/17s. Not sure about the 1520, but my 520 shoots with the maximum of 1/8s

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Nah, I'm glad we're not Android. Microsoft takes the time to get it right on the first try. Android still has problems that has existed since 2009.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Some of us can relate to the OP and the reason why they mock windows phone is because they are either deep rooted in their fanboyism or too closed minded to try something new. Then again why would they?

Apart from the UX there is nothing compelling for them to switch as all of Microsoft services are on other platforms, (office was a key selling point) unless you talk about the camera, sure given long enough I can convince most people to switch and I have done that :p (I guess once your a sales guy, your always a sales guy - even if a leopard changes it's spots, it's still a leopard regardless).

Having spent years using iphones, blackberrys, android, windows mobile even symbian and I'm not switching for anything. I guess you would say I'm at that phase where flashing hundred different roms every other hour is no longer appealing. That would be somewhat correct, I realised at the end of the day a phone is a tool so if a tool no longer does what you need, you find one that does - You wouldn't try to hammer a nail in with a plastic screwdriver? (Sure you could, but that would be incredibly inefficient :winktongue:). Also constantly flashing the rom is simply like change the plastic / rubber covering off every tool in your tool box over and over again - therefore pointless. Your better of learning a new language, playing a sport, organising a charity event etc.

Windows phone has deep rooted flaws and If I was to list them all - most people will bash me for hating on windows phone lol (I have listed a few here and there). Having windows phone day-in & day-out working on the go, editing contracts, writing inspection reports, etc. It is more than capable then most realize however as most are not willing to adapt they don't understand & get frustrated, as a phone should just simply work. However by not willing to adapt they never explore the phone and see for themselves the potential of windows phone.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
No I'm not. Getting things right takes time and even though I think Microsoft's strategy of giving the competition priority over their own platform is wrong, I'm willing to wait and see seeing as we now have universal apps and, with Windows 10, a unified OS.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I've been a loyal WP user since my UTStarcom 6700 running Windows Mobile. I moved onto the HTC Diamond, HTC Titan 1 & 2, HTC HD7, Lumia 900, 920 and now the 1520. During these years I did for a short time own an Android device and an iPhone 4S (never a Blackberry). They just weren't for me. I've enjoyed watching the progression over the years and seeing all the strides WP has made. I've always enjoyed my experiences for the most part. I've also experienced some serious bugs in my time with WP and extremely frustrating moments too. One that sticks in my mind forever is when my HTC Titan 2 would crash once internal storage reached near its 16GB limit and would force me to hard reset. Which I ended up having to do... about 8-9 times over a 12 month period. However, for the most part I will say I've greatly enjoyed other things from integration of Xbox, PC and tablets, to the build quality of hardware from Nokia and the quality of their cameras. I love the ease and simplicity of my phone. I hated waiting years for some of the important apps and games to arrive. And I still do encounter bugs and system glitches on occasion that make me scratch my head. I get nothing is perfect but WP seems to be the furthest from perfect despite how hard it's been trying to get it right.

And no matter what, after all ll these years a few things just haven't changed. Market Share and always being behind in features. I'm the first one to defend WP to people I know. I'm always the only one at social events with a WP. I'm the only one I've seen in my company of about 600 employees with a WP. I get mocked by friends and colleagues for having what they consider to be an "obsolete" phone. I disregard the comments and show them how great the pictures are my 1520 takes in comparison to their Androids or Blackberries. In my building I've seen maybe 2 people with WP's. And then about 30 in the wild over the years. I've gotten my mom, dad, and at least 3-4 other friends to try the move to WP. Some liked it and stuck with it, some moved on as Canadian carriers stopped distributing high end WP devices. And while for the most part I brush off the eye rolling when I take out my phablet (whether it's for the size, or the OS) but I'm now starting to really wonder.. Will MS and WP ever get it right? Hardware specs are always months behind Android (except camera specs), the OS is always catching up with crucial features other OS' have. The interface while modern is starting to feel a little bland after all these years of use. I'd love to really seeing WP catch on to the general public rather than the niche techies like myself. And while there's so many reasons we can blame MS, it's lack of marketing, or carriers I have to wonder will this EVER change?

Every year I used to see predictions on WP marketshare taking leaps and bounds. And every year it's still the same or barely moved. I'd love to see WP really start delivering on features and hardware but I feel like I'm just convincing myself every year that it will come eventually. Or maybe I just like being the only one on the block with a phone that's not what everyone else has. I look around at my friends with their GS5's, Notes, iPhone 6's... even Blackberries. And while I prefer the modern look of WP over the sea of icons and 7 homescreens of widgets I can see so many "little" touches on these devices that make it clear to me why people love them. I've owned this 1520 for over a year now. It's actually the longest I've kept a single device in over 4 yrs without upgrading to something better. I'm very disappointed that MS hasn't released a new flagship in over 12 months. Apple and Samsung would never allow such a thing. I'm even forced to buy most of my phones unlocked and from online retailers because Canada doesn't have faith in carrying most WP devices.

I consider from time to time what my life would be like if I did decide to give up on WP and make the change. I think I could do it but I keep saying hold on, something BIG has to be around the corner. I just feel that MS makes it really hard to be a fan when there's so much more they can offer us.

The thing of which I am tired are the unending "I am brilliant, am Microsoft's only loyal customer, and have all of the answers so why don't they do what I want" posts. It would be nice if this site had the equivalent of Crackberry's Armchair CEO forum. Funnel all of the brilliance and whining (usually the same thing) into one location.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
The thing of which I am tired are the unending "I am brilliant, am Microsoft's only loyal customer, and have all of the answers so why don't they do what I want" posts. It would be nice if this site had the equivalent of Crackberry's Armchair CEO forum. Funnel all of the brilliance and whining (usually the same thing) into one location.

So whiney..

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I got tired of waiting since the beginning of the year, but I never really "switched" to another platform. Believe me I'm an early adopter too, and I've also seen the progression of the platform, even the apps and games (Carbon anyone? Xbox Live Doodle Jump? Twin Blades?). I'm betting that my situation is way worse than yours tho, considering I live in the Pacific which has limited Microsoft features support (Xbox Music Pass didn't come to NZ til late 2012, a few months after Zune was rebranded to Xbox Music).

I know exactly how you feel, the best way to overcome this is to enjoy the phone you have right now, and do a little bit of research on other platforms too, try to experiment. Browse a little on other forums, find something to do that you enjoy and take your mind off these things. I would also advise you to limit yourself from visiting this forum (it has become a bit too whiney to be honest) and there's always gonna be that somebody ranting this platform. The real reason WP has been hard to push since 8 is that Microsoft has broken the fundamentals that made WP unique, but be reminded that the sacrifice is part of the unification of the platform that could do good (or bad) in the future. In the meantime, let's play The Evil Within.

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
How can write such long texts. Its a phone! Get a life!!!!

Windows phone is quite new, so it needs some time yo develop. So keep calm. You cant expect windows phone to compete to ios and android just like that...it needs time!
So again. Stop whining and get a life.
Or switch to another system and come back in a while. It will be better.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site

Windows phone is quite new, so it needs some time yo develop. So keep calm. You cant expect windows phone to compete to ios and android just like that...it needs time!

It's not called whining. Whining is like "windows phone sucks". When asked why? They say:"It's not cool" or "it just plain sucks". Those without a reason and spamming all over the place are whiners. One example of a whine is your post. Which you don't give any reason at all why OP's post is considered as whining.

As a said earlier, this is a forum. It is a place for people to voice out their opinions. Don't like it? Stay away. It is quite annoying seeing people like you spamming all over the forums. Even when faced with facts, the "ultimate fanboyism" takes over and debunk our answers with absolutely no explanation or elaboration.

It used to a pleasure replying to people in this forum. Used to be.

"Stop whining and get a life" -Chris_Germany

PabsTheGeek

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Without high end developers joining the frame, such as Google, I can't see WP succeeding. There are many WP developer releasing "google" like apps that simply are a sham with 4+ star reviews. There's even one for Google Chrome browser with 4.5 stars and its less than 1Mb download!! This shall be the downfall of WP.

Since Microsoft ditching Windows Phone 7 and not providing an easy upgrade for developers, then announcing Windows 10 with radical development changes, why would a company write an app for Windows Phone 8 only to redo it completely for Windows 10? This is the issue.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Since Microsoft ditching Windows Phone 7 and not providing an easy upgrade for developers, then announcing Windows 10 with radical development changes.

Where are you getting this from? The radical API changes happened from W7 to W8. Since then not so radical. W8.1 also brought over a lot of new APIs from RT, but developers were never forced to change their apps. WP was always backwards compatible from a devs point of view.

AFAIK WP10's APIs are expected to stay largely as they are now, probably with the smallest number of API changes WP has ever experienced with a new major release. There will be a few new APIs coming in from RT and maybe we'll get a new version of DirectX, but those will all be new APIs, not changes to existing ones!

There will of course be a few radical changes, but not to APIs.

Last edited:

Yves Hohler

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
i have this idea:

smartphone entry level-> iOS
Smartphone midcore user -> Windows Phone
Hardcore user-> Android

Where mid core and hardcore stands for technical competence

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site

FYI, Android debuted in 2008. 2 years ahead of Windows Phone 7. So you're suggesting in 2 years WP will match Android marketshare? Because 6 yrs vs 4yrs is a huge difference? I find that hard to believe. If they make some radical improvements and fullfil the promises of Windows 10 they'll gain a little marketshare. But at this rate I don't see Windows Phone competing with Android or iOS anytime soon.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
What I don't understand about these these types of threads is why do WP users constantly feel compelled to compare WP to iOS or Android? I could care less what phone anybody else uses. If you're not happy on WP, then switch to something else and stop complaining. Move on already. These threads are getting old. They're all repetitive and serve no real purpose.

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
What I don't understand about these these types of threads is why do WP users constantly feel compelled to compare WP to iOS or Android? I could care less what phone anybody else uses. If you're not happy on WP, then switch to something else and stop complaining. Move on already. These threads are getting old. They're all repetitive and serve no real purpose.

I disagree. Not only are users entitled to their opinion and to manifest their angst (or otherwise), but also these threads are a good indicator of what is going on with the platform. How is anything supposed to be better if no one complains?

Yes, it's repetitive, but there's a lot of facts that can't be denied around here that are simply negative.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo