The State of Windows Phone, by Jan Dawson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Oh but some people of windows central will have you think the problem is the lack of OEMs because Nokia/Microsoft can't do it alone. Yet it appears apps are the problem lol.

But yeah this is something most of us already knew.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
"Microsoft has struggled from the beginning to articulate why Windows Phone is better than the two established platforms". In other words, lack of effective marketing.

When WP had exclusive features like facebook and twitter integration, battery saver, office, kids corner they basically told no one, now those features aren't exclusive anymore so what's the story you tell to get people interested in the platform? Just one of many issues that need to be addressed to get the platform growing.

Soulstream

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Android is also low-end centric (most phones are mid-low end). The thing is that Android also has a big array of high-end phones. Apple only sells high-end.

I am not sure it this is still the case but I read (like 4-5 months ago) that Lumia 520 was the best sold WP device by a large margin. Is this still the case?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure it this is still the case but I read (like 4-5 months ago) that Lumia 520 was the best sold WP device by a large margin. Is this still the case?

It's still the Lumia with the highest sales numbers by far, but it was actually the best selling smartphone in it's price range, not just the best selling Lumia. Huge difference.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've said it before... Lumia 520/521 is like that first sample of crack. It get's 'em addicted on the cheap and reels them in for more.

I started with a 521 in August 2013. I then bought a 925 and by August 2014 I had a 1520.3.

​My name is RumoredNow and I'm a WPaholic.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
635 is going to blow away the 520 in sales as it's an exceptional phone for the same budget price - providing they keep pushing it at the $39.99 level.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Sounds pretty good to me. My only problem is I hope Microsoft does not wait until Win 10 is ready to put out any more mid/higher phones. Last I heard its Sept/Oct before it will be ready. Thats 10months. With what is on the table they will not build any market share if its that long. My 820 and my wife's 925 are great; but I would like to upgrade before they shovel dirt in my face.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sounds pretty good to me. My only problem is I hope Microsoft does not wait until Win 10 is ready to put out any more mid/higher phones. Last I heard its Sept/Oct before it will be ready. Thats 10months. With what is on the table they will not build any market share if its that long. My 820 and my wife's 925 are great; but I would like to upgrade before they shovel dirt in my face.

1520.3. Factory Unlocked, Gets LTE speed on AT&T and T-MoUS towers. Official 8.1 + Cyan for months now and by all accounts likely to receive 8.1.1 + Lumia Denim sooner than most other models. Unlike the AT&T model it comes stock with 32GB internal storage and Qi wireless charging without a special cover. LOVE mine and consider it a very real and substantial upgrade over the 925 I had.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The article really highlights what some of us have been saying all along:
A) Windows Phone needs a true high-end flagship with the latest SOC that excels both in hardware & software
B)Quit focusing on rival platforms and give windows phone service parity, all of MS services are vastly superior on other platforms.

Windows phone's selling points have been slowly chipped away and the only things it has going for it is the UX & Cortana even then Cortana is still limited in availability & functionality (outside the US).

Never the less when you put both a & b together with the current situation - everything is riding on the success of Office Gemini & Windows 10. If only there was a way to go into cryo-sleep for the next few months. The wait would be much much easier lol, but alas there is not.. so the wait continues.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for posting this link. It's a bit short and thin on original analysis, but you can't help but be impressed when someone in the tech world writes things like this:

"As such, the purpose of my report is not to put another nail in Windows Phone’s coffin, but to offer a nuanced analysis of what ails the platform and what Microsoft can do to make it better."

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for posting this link. It's a bit short and thin on original analysis, but you can't help but be impressed when someone in the tech world writes things like this:

"As such, the purpose of my report is not to put another nail in Windows Phone’s coffin, but to offer a nuanced analysis of what ails the platform and what Microsoft can do to make it better."

The Blog is just a teaser. They want you to download the free report and dig in. State of Windows Phone report | Jackdaw Research

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
After reading some of this drivel (not necessarily this thread, but on the forum, itself) ...

I'd love to see Windows Phone take off, pick up significant market share, which will impact it's longevity as an ecosystem, bring more Devs, etc.
That said, however, I love my Lumia 1520, the features it has, the stunning display, etc. I'd love to have the latest & greatest apps (a profile manager would be nice, sensitive to time & location; Clash of Clans looks interesting) but, it's NOT a dealbreaker.

It simply works for me.
No perfect phone, just (near) perfect for you.

I really gotta take some time away from this forum.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiuniuz