12-08-2014 12:29 AM
46 12
tools
    Both platforms have their strengths and weaknesses. You are familiar with both. It is a personal choice, if you can't find the apps/workarounds you need on WP by all means try Android. At least now you have Lollipop to play with so things might be different this time around, then again Windows 10 is coming out next year. Patience is a virtue.
    12-07-2014 07:48 AM
    Thinking...
    When clicking a YouTube link is it possible to be directed to a sertain app like metrotube etc ??
    Same goes with other apps.

Take care !!
    Yes. I use myTube. The developer has included a bit of code which you save in your IE favourites, so that if a youtube link opens in IE, you click on the favourite link and it opens in the app.
    12-07-2014 07:56 AM
    No one says farewell to WP for anything on the fringe like Firefox OS, Ubuntu Touch or Jolla Sailfish. That last one is nice. Had all of them ported over to a Nexus 4 at one point or another. Sailfish has got a lovely UI. Gesture driven as all get out and dig those Live Covers.

If Jolla Phone would get released in the states with a compatible LTE radio and an ART update to Alien Dalvik I'd surely be wringing my hands trying to choose...

Of course my deliberations would be private and there would be no Clash inspired thread titles involved.
    Because the ecosystem for those are even smaller than WP. Those are all highly experimental, but I would like to see more on that front because that is where the true innovation lies, and is what drew me to Linux to begin with. Until they can find a way to monetize and market those platforms though I would not hold my breath. IMHO that is the same struggle that Linux dealt with 10, 15 years ago, but now the struggle is on mobile, as opposed to the desktop.

You can't even get anyone to purchase Amazon Fire Phone in the States, so go figure.
    D M C and RumoredNow like this.
    12-07-2014 07:57 AM
    I'm kinda on the fence too. Like a poster said above, I'd probably get the Note 4 but stick with my 1520 (in your case the 930).

Windows 10 is approaching faster than we say 940 or 1030. I really love Windows Phone but my audio experience with it is very lacklustre.

Xbox Music sucks and if you wanna see a detailed rant go to the Xbox Music sub forum.
    Spotify doesn't have last fm integration

Overall, it's not really cutting it for me right now but I absolutely love the fluidity and the live tiles.

Windows 10 will be the make or break for me for Windows Phone. Android has hiccups and is clearly seen in my Tab Pro 8.4. The device is great but the lags are still there.. (maybe touchwiz not sure though). But one thing with Android is the app selection and powerhouse multitasking features for phablets which Windows phone still lacks. I considered the iPhone 6 but it's pretty darn expensive. I mean the contract is already super expensive and I need my storage and will only opt for 128gb but when I computed everything I decided that it's not worth it to splash 500 dollars for a phone with a 2 year contract

Next month my contract is up and I'd probably pick up the Note 4.

Anyways decide what's best for you and if you can afford to have both, by all means do it at least for another year for you to decide whether or not Windows phone is the right choice. Good luck.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App for Android!
    Janne Trpinov likes this.
    12-07-2014 08:43 AM
    Please someone answer this.

example in twitter when there is a youtube link, it opens in IE, any way to have it open in an app ?
    Not sure about Twitter, but every time I want to view a video while I'm using the WC app my phone gives me the option to choose between the browser and one of my youtube apps
    12-07-2014 08:47 AM
    I'm so sorry .... can't help it I hope everything works for the best
    onysi and Guytronic like this.
    12-07-2014 09:15 AM
    I moved from several years of iPhones, to 2 years of Note 2 & 3. Now on my first WP, a 930 and loving it. Cant see me switching back, no apps that I really miss, well maybe Real Racing 3.

If I were to switch it would be back to iphone. I love the physical format of the Note series, but Samsung are putting too much bloatwate and pre installing way to many app I don't want.

I know I could go the root road, but why should customers be forced to - to get rid of stuff many don't want.
    12-07-2014 09:27 AM
    The note 4 is a good choice. I hate the android experience, but it is my 2nd choice if WP doesn't succeed. And Note 4 is just beautiful. I heard battery life is terrible on those devices though, wont even last a day or something. I wish Microsoft would make a note clone in Lumia form or maybe Surface phone.
    12-07-2014 10:49 AM
    The note 4 is a good choice. I hate the android experience, but it is my 2nd choice if WP doesn't succeed. And Note 4 is just beautiful. I heard battery life is terrible on those devices though, wont even last a day or something. I wish Microsoft would make a note clone in Lumia form or maybe Surface phone.
    Well if MS would make a note type of phone and developers start making apps that would be awesome 🙆

I know there are some other threads discussing what WP needs to succeed so lets not go there.

Lets just end it here and hope that wp10 solves our headaches'!!

OAO
    12-07-2014 12:26 PM
    I'm gonna wait until windows (phone) 10 before I make the decision. Android 5.0 is looking pretty tempting at the moment tho but we'll have to see what Microsoft has in store for us.
    ven07 likes this.
    12-07-2014 12:41 PM
    Mmmm...
    This user just went multi-platform with an Xperia Z.
    Hate to say I'm just not intensely excited about Android.
    There are advantages I'm just not seeing an avalanche of benefits over Microsoft's efforts.

Windows on a phone will eventually arrive when MSFT stockholders quit dismissing it and begin to embrace it's innovation.
    This post somewhat validates what I wrote in another thread about Android getting boring after a short time. The problem is that with Android the fans will reel off all the supposed benefits but when it comes down to it they only really have one major benefit and that's customisation and there's only so much customising that you can do before it becomes tedious.

I installed CM11 on my Galaxy Nexus and I've quickly become bored of it.

OP, you're need to make the decision. As ajb1965 said, don't sell your 930 until you're absolutely sure that Android is for you.
    Guytronic, RumoredNow and mark233 like this.
    12-07-2014 01:27 PM
    Move
    12-07-2014 01:31 PM
    ...The problem is that with Android the fans will reel off all the supposed benefits but when it comes down to it they only really have one major benefit and that's customisation and there's only so much customising that you can do before it becomes tedious...
    ​Or as I like to say, I realized I enjoyed the modding way more than the OS. I chose to spend the modding time on other things.
    Guytronic, neo158 and ven07 like this.
    12-07-2014 04:06 PM
    My previous foray into Android culminated in a never ending dance trying to avoid bricking after rooting and subsequently trying various overclock scenarios.
    Lots of finger crossing in those days.

Learned quite a bit about Java and Linux along with Android.
    As Rumored says above and I was one...too much time re-romming little time using.

I'll stick with MM/WP as my main bang.
    Felix Bank and ven07 like this.
    12-07-2014 04:24 PM
    ​Or as I like to say, I realized I enjoyed the modding way more than the OS. I chose to spend the modding time on other things.
    Exactly, I have better things to do with the time I used to use for the customisation and flashing custom ROMs.
    Guytronic likes this.
    12-07-2014 05:03 PM
    All MS apps are available... Except for: the outlook app only does a one way sync with contacts, and if you use EAS, calendars don't sync properly with outlook.com
    12-07-2014 05:16 PM
    Thinking...
    Want to buy the note 4 and sort of forget about WP.

I have a Nokia 930 and its a top dog !!!!
    The thing is app integration and lack of some apps. And who knows...maybe it wont get any better than this.

When clicking a YouTube link is it possible to be directed to a sertain app like metrotube etc ??
    Same goes with other apps.

Take care !!
    First, no, you don't have that sort of app integration on WP. You'll be always forced to go into IE or leave whatever you're doing and opening the app separately.
    I honestly don't see Windows Phone allowing apps to interact between them. Microsoft wants to keep control on things and the only way to have apps cooperating is to have developers talking to one another to integrate their apps. Still, they won't be able to do that handy thing that Android does that is reading links and asking you if you want to open it on Chrome or assign a dedicated app to it.

I will NOT talk you into not moving to Android because, honestly, I did it myself and I don't regret it for a single minute.
    HOWEVER I will talk you into NOT moving to a Samsung Android. The Note 4 is a nice device (though poorly build as everything Samsung does) that promises a lot. Unfortunately you'll be bound to TouchWiz and your experience will very quickly deteriorate to the point when you're wishing to throw your phone against a wall.
    Android doesn't lag. But the junk that OEMs throw into it make things lag and no one is worse than Samsung when it comes to filling phones with non-removable junk. Samsung alters Android so much that anything Google may do to improve the speed of Android is completely lost in the maze of alterations and junk Samsung puts into the phones.
    RumoredNow and Janne Trpinov like this.
    12-07-2014 06:53 PM
    One can flash an entirely new ROM. And avoid touchwiz. Most of Samsung phones are moddable.
    12-07-2014 09:20 PM
    First, no, you don't have that sort of app integration on WP. You'll be always forced to go into IE or leave whatever you're doing and opening the app separately.
    I honestly don't see Windows Phone allowing apps to interact between them. Microsoft wants to keep control on things and the only way to have apps cooperating is to have developers talking to one another to integrate their apps. Still, they won't be able to do that handy thing that Android does that is reading links and asking you if you want to open it on Chrome or assign a dedicated app to it.

I will NOT talk you into not moving to Android because, honestly, I did it myself and I don't regret it for a single minute.
    HOWEVER I will talk you into NOT moving to a Samsung Android. The Note 4 is a nice device (though poorly build as everything Samsung does) that promises a lot. Unfortunately you'll be bound to TouchWiz and your experience will very quickly deteriorate to the point when you're wishing to throw your phone against a wall.
    Android doesn't lag. But the junk that OEMs throw into it make things lag and no one is worse than Samsung when it comes to filling phones with non-removable junk. Samsung alters Android so much that anything Google may do to improve the speed of Android is completely lost in the maze of alterations and junk Samsung puts into the phones.
    So have you owned a note 4? I own a note 3 and use nova launcher on it. No lags up to today. Some people give Samsung hate and I don't know why.
    ven07 likes this.
    12-07-2014 10:12 PM
    One can flash an entirely new ROM. And avoid touchwiz. Most of Samsung phones are moddable.
    This is one of the many rrasons I hate Android. I love the WP simplicity.
    neo158 likes this.
    12-07-2014 11:52 PM
    Ultimately, it comes down to doing your own research and deciding what is best for you. Other people will all offer opinions about what they consider best; however, there is no such thing as "the best device/platform". Everything is subjective and really comes down to the best device/platform for a particular individual. What is best for me might not be best for you, and vice-versa; so with that, this thread is now closed.
    12-08-2014 12:29 AM
46 12