Stay or move back to Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janne Trpinov

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Thinking...
Want to buy the note 4 and sort of forget about WP.

I have a Nokia 930 and its a top dog !!!!
The thing is app integration and lack of some apps. And who knows...maybe it wont get any better than this.

When clicking a YouTube link is it possible to be directed to a sertain app like metrotube etc ??
Same goes with other apps.

Take care !!

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
If you are asking people to talk you into staying, some may try but it's ultimately your decision to make. As someone who left WP and went back to Android thinking the grass was greener I can offer you this advice for what it's worth:

Don't sell your 930 until you are absolutely sure you aren't coming back. I had an Icon and sold it soon after I switched carriers and OS. I quickly realized that all the things I didn't like about Android were still there, and I missed the function and flow of WP. I ended up having to get a low end WP phone because that's all my carrier had to offer at the time. Even with a basic phone, I still enjoy the WP experience much better than my flagship Android phone with all the bells and whistles.

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Yet another one... Dude do what you like and enjoy whatever device you end with. Why do ppl keep making these posts? Should we convince you to stay or not? It's not a world changing choice here.. It's a smartphone for crissakes. Get what you want and live life bruh.. Don't be a stranger to the community. Cheers 🍻

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Note 4 is a beauty. There I've said it. You can still use MS services there. I love Skype - when in a video you can still do other things and see the Skype video screen like on Pc :) and OneDrive on my Nexus. And the stylus use is awesome.

Janne Trpinov

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for reading and responding!!

But could someone please answer my question ??

Kayrune asked the same...
Maybe its not possible.

I can live without some apps but when I click on a link I want the actual app to open it and not IE.

other than that... WP rocks !!

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I can live without some apps but when I click on a link I want the actual app to open it and not IE.

I might be wrong here but I think Windows phone OS lacks API's that would allow for this kind of functionality. It's the same when I get a link for eBay in an email or text. I click on it and it opens up the browser... when I have the application installed.

This is one area I hope Microsoft improve on in the near future.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I might be wrong here but I think Windows phone OS lacks API's that would allow for this kind of functionality. It's the same when I get a link for eBay in an email or text. I click on it and it opens up the browser... when I have the application installed.

This is one area I hope Microsoft improve on in the near future.

WP has the ability, just that whoever writes those links doesnt consider and write them for WP. Clicking and windowsphonsapps.com app link redirects you to store, so functionality is present.
An interesting read with this regard.
Huge pet peeve of mine on WP : windowsphone

Jean Sagarese

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Thinking of bailing also I have the 1020 and I am hoping to get the Note Edge but if not available in September it will be a Note 4. I am already on the Android Central site hope to see you over there

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for reading and responding!!

But could someone please answer my question ??

Kayrune asked the same...
Maybe its not possible.

other than that... WP rocks !!

Maybe it has something to do with the developer making it possible, some YouTube apps work that way some not - MetroTube, same goes for other apps I think like rar & zip apps or file managers

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Please someone answer this.

example in twitter when there is a youtube link, it opens in IE, any way to have it open in an app ?

Yes, it is. You still have to open the Youtube link in IE though:

javascript:location.href="metrotube:VideoPage?Url="+encodeURIComponent(encodeURIComponent(location.href))

- substitute the part in bold for the name of your youtube app;
- add to favourites in IE with the name "open with *yt app*";
- when you open the Youtube link, open your favourites and tap it

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sadly, no one will mail you cookies to get you to stay.

On the other hand, no one will send you cookies from the other camp to get you to switch.

Thus: both sides are equal.

I want a cookie...

K_lando

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, this isn't something you ask, because there are way too many fanboys from all camps that will only give you half truths. Just take your time and decide. At the end of the day, all of them (yes, even iPhone) have their pros and cons.

My own personal story: I am a game centric person and I have a shopping list of games I want that are never coming to WP, along with things like Bluetooth controller support. I LOVE the WP OS, but basically any smartphone can fill my needs, even with their own downsides, so for me, it comes down to the little things. And maybe what some say will finally come true and Win10 will be the end all be all... But no sweat, I'll just come right back. Only a fool puts all eggs on one basket. Choices empower the consumer, and when you can be a consumer that can operate with multiple choices, you win everytime.
And for the record, I've been on WinMo/WP since 2006, and am also familiar with Android. I know the pros and cons of all systems and what Im getting into. Xperia Z3 high on my list right now... If only At&t would pick it up already!!

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Mmmm...
This user just went multi-platform with an Xperia Z.
Hate to say I'm just not intensely excited about Android.
There are advantages I'm just not seeing an avalanche of benefits over Microsoft's efforts.

Windows on a phone will eventually arrive when MSFT stockholders quit dismissing it and begin to embrace it's innovation.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No one says farewell to WP for anything on the fringe like Firefox OS, Ubuntu Touch or Jolla Sailfish. That last one is nice. Had all of them ported over to a Nexus 4 at one point or another. Sailfish has got a lovely UI. Gesture driven as all get out and dig those Live Covers.

If Jolla Phone would get released in the states with a compatible LTE radio and an ART update to Alien Dalvik I'd surely be wringing my hands trying to choose...

Of course my deliberations would be private and there would be no Clash inspired thread titles involved.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Please someone answer this.

example in twitter when there is a youtube link, it opens in IE, any way to have it open in an app ?

1) Copy link
2) Open favourite youtube app
3) Paste in search box
4) Play

Takes several seconds.

The reason the twitter app your using exhibits this behavior is that it they haven't implemented that functionality. If your using Twitter in internet explorer then obviously it will open in the browser, this will be the case until MS implements "app defaults".

To the OP, if you want to move back to Android - there is no one stopping you as it's your phone, money & time no one else's..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett