Stay or move back to Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I really enjoyed Windows phone with the 930. But hardware issues aside, I think the Os is awesome... Of course what you mention is the reason why I moved back to android. The app integration was terrible. I really wanted to stick with Windows phone but it just didn't do what I needed (not wanted... Needed) but I will be keeping an eye out for future releases because I really liked the 930!!! To answer your question I doubt it's possible with the current api set.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I really enjoyed Windows phone with the 930. But hardware issues aside, I think the Os is awesome... Of course what you mention is the reason why I moved back to android. The app integration was terrible. I really wanted to stick with Windows phone but it just didn't do what I needed (not wanted... Needed) but I will be keeping an eye out for future releases because I really liked the 930!!! To answer your question I doubt it's possible with the current api set.

To put it into perspective, the hubs made way for a singular app model as they deemed not viable as updating say the messaging hub to contract any issues caused by Facebook tweaking their back end would need a o/s level update to fix. The app model was to allow deliver rapid updates - that was the theory.. in reality not so much.

Not to mention the complaints from android / ios users who whinged to make it like what they were comfortable with i.e games in the app list (combined with telemetry data - i.e the photo hub) also played a part in their implementation and design choices.

Janne Trpinov

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site

Think we are on the same page here...
Lets hope wp10 will solve all of these "problems".

Other than app integrations and some missing apps (or never updated) I'll give the OS 10/10 !!

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I think you are posting this thread on wrong forum.
Most users here are WP fans obviously they aren't respond you properly.
(But if you are switching Android to WP then story will be little different.)

I think you should post this thread to Android Central.

AluminiumRims

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Got a Nokia 930 and the phone HW is quite nice but the software is immature and the progress is slow. Qt is now starting to become available for Windows Phone which will change the app situation quite a bit and popular programs like VLC becomes available for Windows Phone.

If I leave Windows Phone I will definitely not go back to Android but more BB10 or Sailfish.

If Microsoft wants to become successful they need to step up the pace and drop the ill will like "nobody need an SD card or HDMI".

chris722

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Both platforms have their strengths and weaknesses. You are familiar with both. It is a personal choice, if you can't find the apps/workarounds you need on WP by all means try Android. At least now you have Lollipop to play with so things might be different this time around, then again Windows 10 is coming out next year. Patience is a virtue.

humanhowever

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Thinking...
When clicking a YouTube link is it possible to be directed to a sertain app like metrotube etc ??
Same goes with other apps.

Take care !!

Yes. I use myTube. The developer has included a bit of code which you save in your IE favourites, so that if a youtube link opens in IE, you click on the favourite link and it opens in the app.

chris722

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
No one says farewell to WP for anything on the fringe like Firefox OS, Ubuntu Touch or Jolla Sailfish. That last one is nice. Had all of them ported over to a Nexus 4 at one point or another. Sailfish has got a lovely UI. Gesture driven as all get out and dig those Live Covers.

If Jolla Phone would get released in the states with a compatible LTE radio and an ART update to Alien Dalvik I'd surely be wringing my hands trying to choose...

Of course my deliberations would be private and there would be no Clash inspired thread titles involved.

Because the ecosystem for those are even smaller than WP. Those are all highly experimental, but I would like to see more on that front because that is where the true innovation lies, and is what drew me to Linux to begin with. Until they can find a way to monetize and market those platforms though I would not hold my breath. IMHO that is the same struggle that Linux dealt with 10, 15 years ago, but now the struggle is on mobile, as opposed to the desktop.

You can't even get anyone to purchase Amazon Fire Phone in the States, so go figure.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm kinda on the fence too. Like a poster said above, I'd probably get the Note 4 but stick with my 1520 (in your case the 930).

Windows 10 is approaching faster than we say 940 or 1030. I really love Windows Phone but my audio experience with it is very lacklustre.

Xbox Music sucks and if you wanna see a detailed rant go to the Xbox Music sub forum.
Spotify doesn't have last fm integration

Overall, it's not really cutting it for me right now but I absolutely love the fluidity and the live tiles.

Windows 10 will be the make or break for me for Windows Phone. Android has hiccups and is clearly seen in my Tab Pro 8.4. The device is great but the lags are still there.. (maybe touchwiz not sure though). But one thing with Android is the app selection and powerhouse multitasking features for phablets which Windows phone still lacks. I considered the iPhone 6 but it's pretty darn expensive. I mean the contract is already super expensive and I need my storage and will only opt for 128gb but when I computed everything I decided that it's not worth it to splash 500 dollars for a phone with a 2 year contract

Next month my contract is up and I'd probably pick up the Note 4.

Anyways decide what's best for you and if you can afford to have both, by all means do it at least for another year for you to decide whether or not Windows phone is the right choice. Good luck.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App for Android!

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Please someone answer this.

example in twitter when there is a youtube link, it opens in IE, any way to have it open in an app ?

Not sure about Twitter, but every time I want to view a video while I'm using the WC app my phone gives me the option to choose between the browser and one of my youtube apps

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I moved from several years of iPhones, to 2 years of Note 2 & 3. Now on my first WP, a 930 and loving it. Cant see me switching back, no apps that I really miss, well maybe Real Racing 3.

If I were to switch it would be back to iphone. I love the physical format of the Note series, but Samsung are putting too much bloatwate and pre installing way to many app I don't want.

I know I could go the root road, but why should customers be forced to - to get rid of stuff many don't want.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
The note 4 is a good choice. I hate the android experience, but it is my 2nd choice if WP doesn't succeed. And Note 4 is just beautiful. I heard battery life is terrible on those devices though, wont even last a day or something. I wish Microsoft would make a note clone in Lumia form or maybe Surface phone.

Janne Trpinov

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
The note 4 is a good choice. I hate the android experience, but it is my 2nd choice if WP doesn't succeed. And Note 4 is just beautiful. I heard battery life is terrible on those devices though, wont even last a day or something. I wish Microsoft would make a note clone in Lumia form or maybe Surface phone.

Well if MS would make a note type of phone and developers start making apps that would be awesome 🙆

I know there are some other threads discussing what WP needs to succeed so lets not go there.

Lets just end it here and hope that wp10 solves our headaches'!!

OAO

Daniel Olsen

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm gonna wait until windows (phone) 10 before I make the decision. Android 5.0 is looking pretty tempting at the moment tho but we'll have to see what Microsoft has in store for us.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Mmmm...
This user just went multi-platform with an Xperia Z.
Hate to say I'm just not intensely excited about Android.
There are advantages I'm just not seeing an avalanche of benefits over Microsoft's efforts.

Windows on a phone will eventually arrive when MSFT stockholders quit dismissing it and begin to embrace it's innovation.

This post somewhat validates what I wrote in another thread about Android getting boring after a short time. The problem is that with Android the fans will reel off all the supposed benefits but when it comes down to it they only really have one major benefit and that's customisation and there's only so much customising that you can do before it becomes tedious.

I installed CM11 on my Galaxy Nexus and I've quickly become bored of it.

OP, you're need to make the decision. As ajb1965 said, don't sell your 930 until you're absolutely sure that Android is for you.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...The problem is that with Android the fans will reel off all the supposed benefits but when it comes down to it they only really have one major benefit and that's customisation and there's only so much customising that you can do before it becomes tedious...

​Or as I like to say, I realized I enjoyed the modding way more than the OS. I chose to spend the modding time on other things.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
My previous foray into Android culminated in a never ending dance trying to avoid bricking after rooting and subsequently trying various overclock scenarios.:smile:
Lots of finger crossing in those days.

Learned quite a bit about Java and Linux along with Android.
As Rumored says above and I was one...too much time re-romming little time using.

I'll stick with MM/WP as my main bang.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
​Or as I like to say, I realized I enjoyed the modding way more than the OS. I chose to spend the modding time on other things.

Exactly, I have better things to do with the time I used to use for the customisation and flashing custom ROMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro