Are there any Windows Phones 8.1 that doesn't do resuming... very much?

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Seems the 1020 and 920 both just can't handle 8.1 very well. Some apps are better than others but in many apps such as the official podcast app, music app, Whatsapp, etc, you see the resuming... and loading... a lot when you wake your phone up. Sometimes it is short and sometimes longer. With 8.0, it happened a few times but not nearly as much or as long as 8.1. Is there any Windows Phone that doesn't have this problem with 8.1? Does anyone's Snapdragon 800 phones have this problem too (930, 1520, HTC One M8)?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Are you talking about "resuming..." when waking the phone? That's a common problem with those who tried a different lockscreen app and with an equally simple solution.

I don't see resuming all that much on my 920 actually. Only on a few specific apps.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
My Ativ S have same chipset as 920 and 1020 and I don't see any resuming. I'm having it for 2 months and I don't think I've seen resuming more than 10 times. Don't even remember when I saw it last time. 8.1.1 official first, and later PfD enabled.

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't use any lockscreen apps but do use a picture and use a background picture on the homescreen. If the phone was on the home screen as the last thing I did, I don't see the resuming... but if the last thing was an app, it often shows resuming... when you swipe up to unlock into the app. It is app specific but this includes many big apps such as Here, Music, Podcast, Mix Radio, Line, Weather.

I've also seen this on multiple phones: 920, 1020, 520.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't use any lockscreen apps but do use a picture and use a background picture on the homescreen. If the phone was on the home screen as the last thing I did, I don't see the resuming... but if the last thing was an app, it often shows resuming... when you swipe up to unlock into the app. It is app specific but this includes many big apps such as Here, Music, Podcast, Mix Radio, Line, Weather.

I've also seen this on multiple phones: 920, 1020, 520.

Resuming is something by design of Windows Phone (for memory management/efficiency, part of that kind of thing), and also varies depending on the app.

I suppose throwing more horsepower at the thing will reduce it.

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Resuming is something by design of Windows Phone (for memory management/efficiency, part of that kind of thing), and also varies depending on the app.

I suppose throwing more horsepower at the thing will reduce it.
True but I think MS did change how they resumed apps in 8.1. Notice for instance that things refresh when you resumed into the app after having been away from it for a while, even with the task switcher. A static website or your even email would get reloaded. I don't remember that being the case in 8.0. I think this is what is causing the resuming... to be more noticeable. As for how long it takes, it has been all over the place. Sometimes you barely see it and other times 2-3 seconds even for the same app. That's why I'm curious how much of an improvement the SD800 and faster DDR RAM would help. Does it virtually eliminate the problem?

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
The one and only app I HAD "resuming..." problem was Skype prior last 3-4 updates but other than that I dont think I've ever had such problems (except WhatsApp, few month ago, when it wasn't properly working for everyone). I have 928.

My brother has 925, he uses some "fancy" customization for lock screen (some tiles are empty w/o any logo) It has that loading or resuming problem when I unlock the phone. I dont know what app he uses though..

Do you use any apps for customization? Maybe that's the problem

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
my 928 is on latest 8.1.1 update and I see resuming constantly, if I leave an app for a while like 5-10 minutes it will show a resuming screen, and if I open 2-3 more apps the first one will show resuming, windows 10 better get it right cause this is an on-going annoyance that not even my gf's iPhone 4s has to endure, and lets not talk about that lumia camera thing.. jeez what happened with windows phone? it used to be the fastest-smoothest most consistent OS I've ever seen, now it only kept the smoothness in 8.1(with some exceptions)

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
my 928 is on latest 8.1.1 update and I see resuming constantly, if I leave an app for a while like 5-10 minutes it will show a resuming screen, and if I open 2-3 more apps the first one will show resuming, windows 10 better get it right cause this is an on-going annoyance that not even my gf's iPhone 4s has to endure, and lets not talk about that lumia camera thing.. jeez what happened with windows phone? it used to be the fastest-smoothest most consistent OS I've ever seen, now it only kept the smoothness in 8.1(with some exceptions)
Yes you need to have your phone off for 10 minutes or so to get it to happen and then you see it trying to reload the whole app. I agree that 8.1 seems to have made this worse. It's the same if you switched to the app using the task switcher. And to answer the person above, I don't have any lockscreen apps.

It has happened to every Windows phone I have access to (mine and family members) so I'm a bit surprised some people are saying theirs don't have it.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I expect apps left in the background to resume simply because of the way multitasking works on WP and if you use apps on an SD Card resuming can occur more frequently, however if you're seeing resuming outside of that then it would be best to look into the background tasks you have allowed in battery saver.

Quhi

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
On my 1520 if I do see resuming then it is only for a negligible amount of time, usually if I was away from the phone for some time or if we talking about heavy games, otherwise the process is completely seamless.

dezzilakk

May 3, 2014
Visit site
My 1020 does this a lot, but not when unlocking, just when using it. I'm on the Preview, with Cyan, but even with only Cyan, it was quite bad. I might go back to Android after all, seems like WP dropped the ball hard and I don't want to wait anymore like I did with Blackberry.

oscartoledo05

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
My 920 used to do that a lot, but since I did a hard reset to get cortana in Spanish, everything works flawless. So I advice you to do a hard reset :)

dpaynewp

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I also have a L1020 with cyan, 8.1 and with PD. And I have to say it runs very well with 8.1. I very rarely see "resuming" with any app. In fact I would say overall it runs very smooth.

However I have always done a hard reset with any of the major firmware updates, and I do not restore from backup, but prefer to clean install all of the apps.

Marquis de Faux

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Try a hard reset. If that does not work, use the Nokia Software Recovery Tool.
I had the same issue on my 521, and it persisted even after hard resets. After I used the Nokia Software Recovery Tool, it is quite smooth now, like it was on 8.0.

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I also have a L1020 with cyan, 8.1 and with PD. And I have to say it runs very well with 8.1. I very rarely see "resuming" with any app. In fact I would say overall it runs very smooth.

However I have always done a hard reset with any of the major firmware updates, and I do not restore from backup, but prefer to clean install all of the apps.
If it takes doing a hard reset to avoid seeing the resuming screen, I might do it if things get too annoying. Unfortunately many apps don't have a backup so you will lose data after doing a hard reset.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos