When upgrading to larger SD card, do I have to do a full reset of the phone?

sugarbowl06

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I have a lumia 635 with 32gb card and am about to upgrade it to a 128gb card. Do I have to do a full reset of the phone when I switch cards? If I restore from a backup, will the apps gets restored onto the SD card?

None of this was very easy when I first installed the 32gb card.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
re:

You don't "have to" do a full reset when switching cards. You could just re-download only the apps you want. Otherwise yes, restoring from a backup would reinstall all the apps you had.

sugarbowl06

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
re:

so I can power off the phone, change cards, and power back on ? All of my current apps are installed on the SD card. Would they stop working, or disappear?

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
re:

I believe the apps become greyed out if you remove the SD card. I don't have any apps installed on my SD card, but I believe you can reinstall them on the new SD card.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
re:

so I can power off the phone, change cards, and power back on ? All of my current apps are installed on the SD card. Would they stop working, or disappear?

As jmshub said above, all the apps you had installed on the previous card, would be "greyed out" until you redownload them to the new card. When you swipe over to the apps list, the apps that were on the previous card would have "attention required" underneath them.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

Move all your apps from the sd to your phone.
shut down the phone, copy with help from a laptop/pc or whatever al the media content from your old card to the new one.
Put the new card in place and boot it up.
The apps witch cant be moved to your phone are lost and must be downloaded again.

Bobby Phoenix

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Upgrading to larger SD card

I'm about to upgrade my card too, and this came to mind. I wish there was an easier way. Like being able to copy the entire card with app data and all, and then just paste everything to the new card. No need to download again.

Bobby Phoenix

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
Just an update. I upgraded my card. Copied all the old card to PC then to new card. All apps had to be downloaded again, but it didn't take long. My thoughts on this are mixed. I don't mind having to download apps again since they stay in a grayed out state so you don't lose them, but there should be a way to keep data/saved app info. All apps I downloaded again lost all their settings, and saved progress in games. That sucks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos