How can I find out the identify to a high battery drain culprit?

anon(6098928)

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Struggling to identify high battery drain culprit

Hello all,

I fully appreciate this sort of question gets asked on many occasions... However, I am simply pulling my hair out and cannot ascertain where the problem lies :(

I am using a Nokia Lumia 925. I am using the latest DP build (OS version: 8.10.14219.341). I have also used the latest official Cyan build (build 3051.50009.1424.00xx).

Long story short:
* I am getting about 7hrs use from my phone, when I had achieved around 18-24hrs+ in the past.
* The phone has had a genuine new battery installed/replaced.
* I have performed many hard resets/full installs of my apps and services.
* I have minimised background apps to a pure minimum.

I had a feeling that IntSig's CamCard/CamScanner had heavy battery usage, but this does not seem to be the case.

The device does get encrypted when I add my corporate settings onto it. I also then set the device to manually check emails etc.

Not really sure what to do now. Can anyone suggest options for me to try?

Thank you all in advance.

Ryan ODonnell

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Struggling to identify high battery drain culprit

I have a similar problem with my Lumia 630. As soon as i take it off charge, it goes straight to 99% and 5 hours later, it's dead! Thinking of switching my phone to something less battery hungry as I have deleted most apps that could be a culprit (Facebook incl. Messenger, Twitter, WhatsApp, Kik & BBM) and no solution.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

Bluetooth, location, account sync, e-mail sync, screen brightness , double tap to wake up also use battery but that should not be that much. But you never know. Or some push up notification which checks very often.

emperor_skull

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site

Switch off glace screen or switch it to peek, then switch off double tap to wake, then uninstall the apps you hardly use, and try opening and closing all third party apps, then close them you can also open system apps, then clear temp files in the storage sense, and always turn off data when not in use, hope this helps

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
OP, as a last resort you could try a factory reset. That usually fixed battery issues for me when I was on the PfD.

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site

Have you used the field medic app to get some more information?

arnark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Had the same problem with my old 920 . It sound excatly the same . They replaced my battery and it was dead within 8 hours or so . What I found out that the battery meter was flawed (incorrect) everytime it was down to 10% or so something I turned the phone off and on it boomed it showed 80% still left. I returned the phone and they couldn't find out it was either so I got a new one.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I find the main culprit for me when i was using DP 8.1 was the Folder with Live Tiles. The more Live folders I had on the start screen, the faster my battery was draining.

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site

How did you get your battery replaced? Could be that someone replaced it with a shi**y one...

Roger Deep

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
There is/was a problem with Bluetooth that would drain the battery. It doesn't appears in the battery saver listing nor anywhere else, but I had that problem for a few weeks. I noticed that because when I turned on the BT the phone was so slow and it took minutes for the BT icon to be on. Then turning off was the same.
But the problem disappeared for me long time ago, but was it a huge problem, so back them I had BT always on, so it would be ok after being on.

If you don't have "Battery Sense", just installed it now. And keep an eye on the "history graph" every hour. Both rate and % left should be almost flat. If not, Houston you have a problem.

Like many said before, turn off, wifi, BT, location, data. In that time, don't use the phone. Just leave it there. Then go to "battery saver" on settings and choose "usage".

Click "show apps with usage" to get the "show usage from last 24 hours" option. Pay close attention to the use of "background" too.

Also, below some programs, there is a label with "allowed", "always allowed" or "not allowed". Click every program that is allowed to run in the backgound and turn off the option "Allow app to run in the background". Just leave it on for the Battery Send, the Store, Music, Calendar, FM Radio, and not much more. Turn off all others.

Restart the phone after this and leave it for a couple of hours. You will see the flat usage, otherwise, you have a bigger problem. Keep on posting your finds.

Roger Deep

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

Oh, charge the phone to 100% and leave it charging in 100% for at least another hour. Ensure that you don't stop charging soon as it gets 100%. This way, you will see a totally flat usage for many hours until it reaches 99%.

And do the charging on the wall socket, not on the pc USB.

hairychad

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site

Can I just say that the latest dev update has killed my battery somewhat... It's not just you.. Yes it sounds extreme for you, but if it was straight after the update I think it may be related...
But background apps are the main culprit on live tiles and I think that it failing on this update personally..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss