12-14-2014 04:59 PM
180 ... 5678
tools
    When I read the headline, my first thought was "Who??"

That's as much impact it has made... So what???
    12-13-2014 02:13 PM

He's a blue tick person on twitter
    12-13-2014 02:36 PM
    Good god... how many freaking apps does a person need??
    It's not the number of apps that matter, it's WHICH apps that are available. Snapchat just did the rounds warning every Windows Phone owner I know to stop using third party apps (yet still aren't supporting with an official app), the Instagram app is still a joke, and even Microsoft's own apps are superior on the other platforms.

Whenever I suggest someone jumps to Windows phone, it's not always the same apps that people want and use regularly that prevents them from taking the plunge.
    theefman and Reflexx like this.
    12-13-2014 02:58 PM

Ahh. So a person's influence shouldn't be measured by how many people read his work. Instead it should be measured by if you know them. Got it.
    theefman, a5cent and AverageWPUser like this.
    12-13-2014 03:20 PM
    Okay I'm starting to wonder how many people that are complaining here actually really read the article through.

We've got a few complaints that keep coming up here...

Why should I care if Tom Warren gave up on WP? Who is he anyway?
    Why? Well it's quite simple. Ask yourself this question - of the people you know around you how many have you gone out of your way to show to other people what your WP phone can do and ultimately brought them into using a WP device? The chances are that if you're on this forum and complaining in this thread that you care about the WP ecosystem and you're getting more than a bit frustrated at Microsoft's glacial pace. The fact that you even care enough to complain means you're more than likely one of the people that have convinced other people you know to at least consider WP as their next device.

Effectively you ARE the marketing machine for MS at this point. They always say that word of mouth is the best form of advertising and this is a big factor for WP. Tom Warren is a recognisable name in the tech industry world, in as far as Paul Thurrot and Mary Jo Foley are also in this category amongst others. If you managed to talk to your friends and family about WP the chances are that it is these tech bloggers and big names that got you to consider the platform in the first place. This is why it matters. This is negative press and it's feeding into the already frustrated userbase of WP enthusiast users that are out there. The wider public perception of WP as a whole is fragile as it is, but every family has a tech guy/gal. If they laugh off WP and wouldn't seriously consider it as a next device then average Joe is going to be put off from getting a WP device.

Haha - he's a hater and a closet iPhone user anyway. Lols.
    You've really got to look at the person individually rather than judge him for the reputation of the website he's writing for. So you might think he's a hater and a closet iPhone user and only used WP devices and wrote about them because it was his job -- regardless of whether that is true or not people are going to judge the platform one way or the other.

Honestly at this point it's less about the individual writer and more about the public's overall perception of the platform. That's the issue we should be discussing here, not focusing about your irrational hatred of someone you've never met.

WP sucks, it's dying and I hate it. I'm off to <insert other platform name here>!
    You're in the same boat as many people are. You're really frustrated and don't think you're being listened to on the platform you either like or once liked. Sure I get this, but honestly what's complaining about this on the boards going to do? In this day and age it's less about the platform ultimately. WP, iPhone and Android devices are there to fulfil specific purposes in the lives of the people that buy them. If you don't think you're getting the most out of your device and want to move on, do some research and find the device that does have the apps you need and will do the things you want it to do. Any of these platforms are respectable and don't deserve your hate.

Use what suits you in your situation.
    12-13-2014 03:20 PM
    Based on what? It's going into the fifth year and they are at less than 3% worldwide. WP is going nowhere fast. Even the hardware is stale and boring. No innovation at all and I just saw a article with the specs for the Win 10 phones and it's only incremental. Pathetic!
    12-13-2014 04:11 PM
    Now that MS has pretty much every app from Office to Here+ on every other platform what incentive is there to use WP? I love the OS but everything else around it is not up to par.
    12-13-2014 04:45 PM
    Based on what? It's going into the fifth year and they are at less than 3% worldwide. WP is going nowhere fast. Even the hardware is stale and boring. No innovation at all and I just saw a article with the specs for the Win 10 phones and it's only incremental. Pathetic!
    Well on the contrary, Nokia was very innovative I remember when the 920 was the hottest **** on the block, first phone with OIS, one of the first few with NFC, amazing low light sensitivity, the camera was unprecedented. After the 920 they only incrementally improved due to a number of factors: A shift in focus to low-mid range devices in attempt to gain market share, the process and finalization of the Microsoft/Nokia takeover. All of those are huge things for companies to go through and although it may have slowed innovation it didn't completely stop it, the McLaren was gonna have some awesome 3D tech and although I used a very ironic example given that the device was cancelled, the R&D that was put into that device shows that they still want to innovate. Windows Phone is going through probably it's roughest stretch yet but if it makes it, there is a very good chance that it'll be all good. I believe Microsoft knows best how not to give up a good example is its Xbox juggernaut look at its history. The best thing people can do at this point is for supporters to keep supporting, former supporters to praise the good while giving a respectful nod to the bad. Quit with the complaining and switch it with constructive advice. If the platform is bad enough to passionately exhibit displeasure in it, then choose another platform. Simple.
    Noahma, a5cent and AverageWPUser like this.
    12-13-2014 04:54 PM
    Ahh. So a person's influence shouldn't be measured by how many people read his work. Instead it should be measured by if you know them. Got it.
    You seemed to have missed my sarcasm.... Even so, my conclusion remains the same.
    If I based any of my decisions on what other people thought, I wouldn't make any decision for myself.

I.T. blogger's/commentators are ten a penny. I always take their comments with a double handful of salt.....

In the end, if Mr Warren chooses to do what he believes is best for him, then great. For myself, I'll stick with what MS is doing. It's working well for me.
    12-13-2014 05:27 PM
    My recent conversation with Tom Warren (https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/543888345194307584)

wp_ss_20141213_0001.jpg
    12-13-2014 05:43 PM
    I absolutely love Windows Phone, we have 2 in the house, both 8XT's on Sprint...so I know a thing or 2 about going against the grain. I also have a, not yet obsolete, HTC One (m7) for comparison purposes for same app parity comparisons.

Some, not all, but some of our WP apps are way behind when it comes to like-app functionality. I can totally get his point. I'm going to stick it out for another 6-12 mos. or so and see if the Win 10 vision begins to solidify. I'll make a decision after that...

I personally don't think that its that MS wants to abandon the platform, I just think that they have so much to catch up on...they can't do it all in a year or 2...it will take time.
    dlalonde and EssThree like this.
    12-13-2014 05:51 PM
    You seemed to have missed my sarcasm.... Even so, my conclusion remains the same.
    If I based any of my decisions on what other people thought, I wouldn't make any decision for myself.

I.T. blogger's/commentators are ten a penny. I always take their comments with a double handful of salt.....

In the end, if Mr Warren chooses to do what he believes is best for him, then great. For myself, I'll stick with what MS is doing. It's working well for me.
    Not sure what your point was then. Nobody was saying that people should quit WP just because Tom Warren is no longer using it as his main device. The discussion was about the things that need to be improved so that more and more of WP's biggest and most vocal supporters don't continue to leave.
    dlalonde, a5cent and MikeSo like this.
    12-13-2014 08:09 PM
    I dont need a tons of apps on my phone. As long as i can get social, send message, receive and make a call, play music, watch fav vids, take note.
    12-13-2014 09:31 PM
    My recent conversation with Tom Warren (https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/543888345194307584)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20141213_0001.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	91071
    So, either Tom is coming back to WP soon, or Cortana is being released to other platforms.
    12-13-2014 09:43 PM
    So, either Tom is coming back to WP soon, or Cortana is being released to other platforms.
    It seems cortana is coming to other platforms :(
    12-13-2014 09:46 PM
    I absolutely love Windows Phone, we have 2 in the house, both 8XT's on Sprint...so I know a thing or 2 about going against the grain. I also have a, not yet obsolete, HTC One (m7) for comparison purposes for same app parity comparisons.

Some, not all, but some of our WP apps are way behind when it comes to like-app functionality. I can totally get his point. I'm going to stick it out for another 6-12 mos. or so and see if the Win 10 vision begins to solidify. I'll make a decision after that...

I personally don't think that its that MS wants to abandon the platform, I just think that they have so much to catch up on...they can't do it all in a year or 2...it will take time.
    Yeah that's pretty much where I'm at too.
    12-13-2014 09:50 PM
    1. Tom does plan to come back to WP when they have the apps he needs
    2. Cortana will be on PCs with Windows 10
    a5cent and AverageWPUser like this.
    12-13-2014 10:37 PM
    I ended up having to switch to an iPhone due to lack of high end WP handsets on Tmobile. I miss WP a lot and I don't think I'm running anything on my phone I couldn't on my old Lumia.

There are a number of serious challenges ahead for WP, but I'm kind of glad Tom Warren abandoned the platform. It means I won't be tempted to give The Verge page views.
    12-13-2014 10:57 PM
    I ended up having to switch to an iPhone due to lack of high end WP handsets on Tmobile. I miss WP a lot and I don't think I'm running anything on my phone I couldn't on my old Lumia.

There are a number of serious challenges ahead for WP, but I'm kind of glad Tom Warren abandoned the platform. It means I won't be tempted to give The Verge page views.
    Try Hyperlapse on iPhone?
    12-14-2014 06:08 AM
    1. Tom does plan to come back to WP when they have the apps he needs
    2. Cortana will be on PCs with Windows 10
    Seems unlikely that "1" will ever come true, maybe who knows.

Also Cortana is coming to rival platforms as well, I read somewhere that Microsoft was considering bringing it to Android and iOS.

Cortana could really thrive on Android, just saying.
    12-14-2014 06:41 AM
    Ouch. Sorry you didn't know the 1520.3 runs great on T-Mobile. Lots of members here doing that.
    12-14-2014 06:46 AM
    I don't need the apps. I do everything using Internet Explorer.

I can agree with him on the over-reliance of third party apps; Microsoft should develop a good 50 to 100 apps of their own, and not just web wrappers but apps that truly embrace the APIs of whatever services they're bringing to Windows Phone. Last I can remember, when I was on Android, there were at least 50 apps developed and maintained by Google.

If Microsoft offered a music locker and an ebook service, like Google, it would go a long way. These are little things, not game changers. I find it odd that my Lumia ships with an Amazon ebook reader, when Android had Google Play Books. There are a lot of services that Microsoft simply refuses to offer on Windows Phone, and that is the true frustration, not the apps. Even Amazon will match 250,000 songs for $25. Where is Microsoft, with the exception of Xbox, on media services?

I find it distasteful that Tri-Play is offering an unlimited cloud service for $40 a year that works with all platforms when Microsoft is more than capable of creating an even better service that could be baked into Windows Phone. At least give us something that is free to an extent; maybe 100,000 songs, and then upsell to unlimited or a higher tier at a decent price piont.
    Last edited by chris722; 12-14-2014 at 07:22 AM.
    12-14-2014 07:03 AM
    Good god... how many freaking apps does a person need?? People need an app to flush their ****ter...and if the official app is not available on WP, than it's a no go! I've been using WP since WP7 was released, and I've never had more than a handful of apps on my phone... a weather app, news, mint, a couple others, and that's it. I'm so sick of hearing about apps. Use the damn mobile website instead! 99% of the time it's a better experience than an app anyway.
    Besides apps, there so less games. I know people leaving WP not because of apps or the OS but because if so less selection of games.
    12-14-2014 07:09 AM
    I don't need the apps. I do everything using Internet Explorer.
    I'm afraid even the Internet Explorer doesnt perform well.So i guess Microsoft didnt really cared about window phone, I mean they are big company but they cant even make the IE outperform other rival internet browsers or even make it work better. Other third party browsers are actually miles better than IE but not as powerful. Microsoft cant even make those little things better, and I think that's what all these whining post/thread/comments are about. So if they cant please us after this W10 OS I guess windows phone would be dead soon.
    12-14-2014 10:34 AM
    I'm afraid even the Internet Explorer doesnt perform well.So i guess Microsoft didnt really cared about window phone, I mean they are big company but they cant even make the IE outperform other rival internet browsers or even make it work better. Other third party browsers are actually miles better than IE but not as powerful. Microsoft cant even make those little things better, and I think that's what all these whining post/thread/comments are about. So if they cant please us after this W10 OS I guess windows phone would be dead soon.

I think you're probably missing out on the reason IE doesn't perform the same as some of those other browsers, and it has nothing to do with a lack of devs or their skill. It's about Enterprise requirements and security. IE is browser that businesses know will only support industry standard and approved functionality.

It makes IE safer and more dependable when it comes to officially supported functions. But it does it at the expense of appearing "behind" other browsers that are free to experiment and try other stuff.
    12-14-2014 11:54 AM
180 ... 5678