Sad and true...Tom Warren giving up on WP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
No problems with using the Developer Preview here either.

I think the only app that really annoys me is the official Twitter app. The iOS version is miles ahead of both Android and WP. Everything from not having the inline conversation feature and the fact that the menu bar still takes up 1/4 of the feed.

And Skype.. Talking about that 1/4 to 1/3 useless space.. Or like half of other apps.. They should change that design language..

Developer preview is nice, although it really annoys me when my 735 reboots randomly.. When using WC in browser.. Or an app crashes..

Tre Lawrence

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I dont get why consumers are willing to be a part to what would essentially be a duopoly.

I don't think consumers consciously decide to have only two choices. In fact, that goes against human nature, I think. We like choice.

IMHO, it's a simple matter of options A and B being better fits for more people.

I think most folks want as much functionality as possible, and no ethical reservations with regards to a duopoly can get in the way of that want.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I agree that having your services everywhere is good business, however it is good for the services themselves.

What I mean by that is that if Microsoft continues to release applications like this the two possible outcomes will be this:

? More people will use the services and become tied with the platform.

? It will provide an easier transition for those that want to go to another OS from Windows Phone and not lose any of the apps.

In barely any cases I can see the growth of Windows Phone because of cross platform services, it may ultimately lead to the downfall of Windows Phone.

Here is a review on the MSN News app on the Play Store which may put into perspective what I am trying to say:

View attachment 90900

By the way that was the most "helpful" review of the app, meaning that people up voted it and share similar thoughts to him.

What I am trying to say is that Microsoft creating better versions of its apps on other platforms may very well lead to the death of it's own platform.

Again, look at it from a logical standpoint.
You have a functional app on one platform, you need to write two new apps from scratch for the other platforms. All will be the same when the end of the road map is reached.

Do you
A. spend all your development time on app 1 and push it from where it is at a functional point to the end and then focus on new apps
B. Get your teams on the other two platforms, and get them out there but stop at the point app A is at, then change focus back to A until it is at the end of the road map, then push the others to that end .
or
C. Since app A is functional, write app A and B and bring them to the road map end (easier than going back and modifying existing code) and then go back and focus on A, especially when there is a significant change coming to the platform in question.

I would say that plan C is the most logical, and makes the most streamlined sense.

as for the first part of the post. Make it easier for people to move between one platform and another, and you will have some that will. One of the major things that keeps people from switching platforms is the fear of the change, IE apps, services etc. Make them similar on all platforms and you remove that fear, which then allows consumers to move easily.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that people like Warren have some kind of inside info about MS killing off WP. If they did they would have written an article about it already considering the amount of page visits they would get. Mainstream tech media has been trying to write Windows Phone's obituary for a long time and they wouldn't hold back if they knew it was going to happen.

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I dont get why consumers are willing to be a part to what would essentially be a duopoly.

Exactly. It's just like imagining a world where our only choice would be between AT&T and Verizon. You need your T-Mobiles and Sprints to keep the big guys honest (sort of). Blackberry is too far gone to be a solid 3rd guy in the game, so all that is left is WP.

I can understand people getting angry that MS is offering their apps on iOS and Android, but it really is smart. It's much easier to give an iPhone owner a taste of Microsoft than get them to jump ship to WP. But you get them using One Drive and Cortana and you start pulling them away.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't think that people like Warren have some kind of inside info about MS killing off WP. If they did they would have written an article about it already considering the amount of page visits they would get. Mainstream tech media has been trying to write Windows Phone's obituary for a long time and they wouldn't hold back if they knew it was going to happen.
Yeah I agree, they would probably spam about it all the time lol.

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Exactly. It's just like imagining a world where our only choice would be between AT&T and Verizon. You need your T-Mobiles and Sprints to keep the big guys honest (sort of). Blackberry is too far gone to be a solid 3rd guy in the game, so all that is left is WP.

I can understand people getting angry that MS is offering their apps on iOS and Android, but it really is smart. It's much easier to give an iPhone owner a taste of Microsoft than get them to jump ship to WP. But you get them using One Drive and Cortana and you start pulling them away.

MS apps for Android are ugly as sin. I'd rather use Docs to Go for BB10 than the Android version of MS office. Onenote for Android is bad too. Sadly I'll stick with Evernote.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on a BlackBerry Passport

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
MS apps for Android are ugly as sin. I'd rather use Docs to Go for BB10 than the Android version of MS office. Onenote for Android is bad too. Sadly I'll stick with Evernote.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on a BlackBerry Passport

Yeah other than Skype, their apps look really boring compared to material design. I think they would do a better job accepting Google's app design language. Looks better on WP.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I wonder what's going on. This week we've had Ed Bott and Tom Warren saying they're ditching WP and, on Windows Weekly yesterday, Thurrott and MJF gave a virtual epitaph for WP. None of them have reported even rumors that MSFT is dropping WP but they must be hearing something (vague hints). Of course, you could say that MSFT has been screaming that WP is dead recently by:

1. Releasing apps for all their services on iOS and Android
2. Talking about services more than platforms
3. Removing the Metro UI from Windows
4. Adding Android as a Visual Studio 2015 target

Ed and Tom both said that they look forward to coming back to WP as soon as their issues are fixed.

Basically I think many bloggers see that MS hasn't been putting enough attention on WP. They have shown a bad example to others by prioritizing competing platforms above WP.

What these well known WP bloggers may be doing is trying to let MS know that they can't depend on their current users to make excuses for them forever. Their biggest supporters shouldn't be taken for granted.
It's not just Ed and Tom. We see many dedicated fans here leaving. People that have been around since the beginning. And most of them don't really "want" to leave. They just are tired of making sacrifices when MS themselves dont seem to care as much. So they leave hoping that they can return one day.

I vehemently disagree when people say these users "won't be missed". These users are advocates. These bloggers as well as many of the regular people here who have switched. They will be missed. Hopefully MS can win them back eventually.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Feedback is one thing. Crying and ******** is something else. Move on or STFU!!
I don't see much crying.
I mainly see users that like and support WP that are honest enough with themselves to recognize what their own needs are and that WP isn't going to satisfy those needs, no matter how much they wished it would. So they move on, hoping to return one day.

But your attitude seems too defensive. These are fans that were pretty much your "teammates" in a way not too long ago. No need to be a jerk to them. They haven't been trying to be jerks

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't see much crying.

I mainly see users that like and support WP that are honest enough with themselves to recognize what their own needs are and that WP isn't going to satisfy those needs, no matter how much they wished it would. So they move on, hoping to return one day.

But your attitude seems too defensive. These are fans that were pretty much your "teammates" in a way not too long ago. No need to be a jerk to them. They haven't been trying to be jerks

Then they should move on and stop crying here. And I can be a jerk at times. Oh well.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Then they should move on and stop crying here. And I can be a jerk at times. Oh well.

Yes, this is one of those times. But I do enjoy some other posts you make that are not so jerkish.

As for what they "should" do... I think that it is good that they let us know why they are leaving; especially if they don't really want to leave. WC is the top Windows Phone site on the web, and people from MS surely see these threads.

It's good for them to notice trends like user advocates feeling the need to leave... and why.

It may be besides the point. Many in this thread have just been honest about venting frustrations with how MS is handling the platform right now. I for one thought about leaving, but I really love this UI way too much. But I know that staying means that I am making sacrifices. I also know that others may not be willing to make those same sacrifices because their lives are different than mine.

It also doesn't help that MS has not been putting their best stuff on WP. They prioritize other platforms for the best experience. So even a fan of MS services may feel the need to move.

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I think the real problem is the silence from Microsoft time to time about WP platform. While they were always loudly about other platforms.
That'd **** WP users off a lot.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
It's Microsoft's fault. You are supposed to have a better experience on your own platform. I don't understand what they are doing. They need to learn how to do cross platform apps properly. Learn from Google, their own apps are way better than the ones on iOS yet the iOS version still has some features. SOME features Microsoft, not all. Sometimes it's good to be biased Microsoft.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Why do people care if other people use the phone OS they do?

If your phone OS of choice is among the market leaders, you don't care. However, if your phone OS of choice happens to be very low in market share, and declining -- as is Windows Phone -- then you should very much care because of the risk of said phone not existing in the near future. You would rather see people flocking to, rather than fleeing from your phone OS. Make sense?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
So Tom is out of the closet, finally. Probably no secret to what he has been using all along except for maybe us. He probably has been using an Iphone for years, got the Iphone 6 like a lot of people did and now he's no longer keeping it a secret. No biggy.Its a nice phone. Until MS puts something on the table we could be proud to own, he won't be the last to venture onto greener pastures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro