Sad and true...Tom Warren giving up on WP

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I absolutely love Windows Phone, we have 2 in the house, both 8XT's on Sprint...so I know a thing or 2 about going against the grain. I also have a, not yet obsolete, HTC One (m7) for comparison purposes for same app parity comparisons.

Some, not all, but some of our WP apps are way behind when it comes to like-app functionality. I can totally get his point. I'm going to stick it out for another 6-12 mos. or so and see if the Win 10 vision begins to solidify. I'll make a decision after that...

I personally don't think that its that MS wants to abandon the platform, I just think that they have so much to catch up on...they can't do it all in a year or 2...it will take time.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
You seemed to have missed my sarcasm.... Even so, my conclusion remains the same.
If I based any of my decisions on what other people thought, I wouldn't make any decision for myself.

I.T. blogger's/commentators are ten a penny. I always take their comments with a double handful of salt.....

In the end, if Mr Warren chooses to do what he believes is best for him, then great. For myself, I'll stick with what MS is doing. It's working well for me.

Not sure what your point was then. Nobody was saying that people should quit WP just because Tom Warren is no longer using it as his main device. The discussion was about the things that need to be improved so that more and more of WP's biggest and most vocal supporters don't continue to leave.

iakobous

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I dont need a tons of apps on my phone. As long as i can get social, send message, receive and make a call, play music, watch fav vids, take note.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I absolutely love Windows Phone, we have 2 in the house, both 8XT's on Sprint...so I know a thing or 2 about going against the grain. I also have a, not yet obsolete, HTC One (m7) for comparison purposes for same app parity comparisons.

Some, not all, but some of our WP apps are way behind when it comes to like-app functionality. I can totally get his point. I'm going to stick it out for another 6-12 mos. or so and see if the Win 10 vision begins to solidify. I'll make a decision after that...

I personally don't think that its that MS wants to abandon the platform, I just think that they have so much to catch up on...they can't do it all in a year or 2...it will take time.

Yeah that's pretty much where I'm at too.

Yonic Boom

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I ended up having to switch to an iPhone due to lack of high end WP handsets on Tmobile. I miss WP a lot and I don't think I'm running anything on my phone I couldn't on my old Lumia.

There are a number of serious challenges ahead for WP, but I'm kind of glad Tom Warren abandoned the platform. It means I won't be tempted to give The Verge page views.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I ended up having to switch to an iPhone due to lack of high end WP handsets on Tmobile. I miss WP a lot and I don't think I'm running anything on my phone I couldn't on my old Lumia.

There are a number of serious challenges ahead for WP, but I'm kind of glad Tom Warren abandoned the platform. It means I won't be tempted to give The Verge page views.
Try Hyperlapse on iPhone?

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
1. Tom does plan to come back to WP when they have the apps he needs
2. Cortana will be on PCs with Windows 10

Seems unlikely that "1" will ever come true, maybe who knows.

Also Cortana is coming to rival platforms as well, I read somewhere that Microsoft was considering bringing it to Android and iOS.

Cortana could really thrive on Android, just saying.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Ouch. Sorry you didn't know the 1520.3 runs great on T-Mobile. Lots of members here doing that.

chris722

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I don't need the apps. I do everything using Internet Explorer.

I can agree with him on the over-reliance of third party apps; Microsoft should develop a good 50 to 100 apps of their own, and not just web wrappers but apps that truly embrace the APIs of whatever services they're bringing to Windows Phone. Last I can remember, when I was on Android, there were at least 50 apps developed and maintained by Google.

If Microsoft offered a music locker and an ebook service, like Google, it would go a long way. These are little things, not game changers. I find it odd that my Lumia ships with an Amazon ebook reader, when Android had Google Play Books. There are a lot of services that Microsoft simply refuses to offer on Windows Phone, and that is the true frustration, not the apps. Even Amazon will match 250,000 songs for $25. Where is Microsoft, with the exception of Xbox, on media services?

I find it distasteful that Tri-Play is offering an unlimited cloud service for $40 a year that works with all platforms when Microsoft is more than capable of creating an even better service that could be baked into Windows Phone. At least give us something that is free to an extent; maybe 100,000 songs, and then upsell to unlimited or a higher tier at a decent price piont.

Last edited:

anism

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Good god... how many freaking apps does a person need?? People need an app to flush their ****ter...and if the official app is not available on WP, than it's a no go! I've been using WP since WP7 was released, and I've never had more than a handful of apps on my phone... a weather app, news, mint, a couple others, and that's it. I'm so sick of hearing about apps. Use the damn mobile website instead! 99% of the time it's a better experience than an app anyway.

Besides apps, there so less games. I know people leaving WP not because of apps or the OS but because if so less selection of games.

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't need the apps. I do everything using Internet Explorer.
I'm afraid even the Internet Explorer doesnt perform well.So i guess Microsoft didnt really cared about window phone, I mean they are big company but they cant even make the IE outperform other rival internet browsers or even make it work better. Other third party browsers are actually miles better than IE but not as powerful. Microsoft cant even make those little things better, and I think that's what all these whining post/thread/comments are about. So if they cant please us after this W10 OS I guess windows phone would be dead soon.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm afraid even the Internet Explorer doesnt perform well.So i guess Microsoft didnt really cared about window phone, I mean they are big company but they cant even make the IE outperform other rival internet browsers or even make it work better. Other third party browsers are actually miles better than IE but not as powerful. Microsoft cant even make those little things better, and I think that's what all these whining post/thread/comments are about. So if they cant please us after this W10 OS I guess windows phone would be dead soon.

I think you're probably missing out on the reason IE doesn't perform the same as some of those other browsers, and it has nothing to do with a lack of devs or their skill. It's about Enterprise requirements and security. IE is browser that businesses know will only support industry standard and approved functionality.

It makes IE safer and more dependable when it comes to officially supported functions. But it does it at the expense of appearing "behind" other browsers that are free to experiment and try other stuff.

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I think you're probably missing out on the reason IE doesn't perform the same as some of those other browsers, and it has nothing to do with a lack of devs or their skill. It's about Enterprise requirements and security. IE is browser that businesses know will only support industry standard and approved functionality.

It makes IE safer and more dependable when it comes to officially supported functions. But it does it at the expense of appearing "behind" other browsers that are free to experiment and try other stuff.

Yes in theory maybe, but it also missed the whole thing, to be a internet browser or better, which is what its really made for. Plus its a cyber world what do you expect, everything can be hacked and compromised no matter how careful you are.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes in theory maybe, but it also missed the whole thing, to be a internet browser or better, which is what its really made for. Plus its a cyber world what do you expect, everything can be hacked and compromised no matter how careful you are.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love a browser that supports everything new and cool.

I'm just starting that the limitations of IE are not sure to any lack of dev resources or lack of competence from developers.

davidofmidnight

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Don't get me wrong. I'd love a browser that supports everything new and cool.

I'm just starting that the limitations of IE are not sure to any lack of dev resources or lack of competence from developers.

To be fair, the Chrome developers can't even figure out how to add a "Warn before closing multiple tab" warning.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
To be fair, the Chrome developers can't even figure out how to add a "Warn before closing multiple tab" warning.

I personally found that extremely annoying on Internet Explorer.

Chrome usually allows me to restore all my tabs if it unexpectedly shuts down.

Also if I close a tab accidentally in Chrome a Ctrl + Shift + T.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss