Auto busy during scheduled meetings

Scott Leonard

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
One feature I miss from my old Windows Mobile phones that I can no longer find was a setting that monitored my calendar and automatically silenced the phone and sent incoming calls to voicemail during scheduled appointments. No rude interruptions from loudly ringing phone calls while in important meetings with the VP of IT or even just weekly Dept. meetings or even sitting in the Dentist chair. I searched my previous WP 7.x phone and my new M8 w/ WP 8.1 but can't find anything like this. Has anyone seen such a feature in WP?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If you use Cortana and have an appointment, it will show turn on Quiet Hours at the time, if you have your calendar set to show "busy" during appointments.

Scott Leonard

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Do you have to use Cortana to create the appointment in your calendar? I almost always use Outlook on either my work laptop or my home PC to create them. Also, many of them come from responding to invites inside Outlook.

As a test just now, I created a new appt. in Outlook on my home PC that syncs to my Outlook.com personal account and set "Show as:" to busy with a 5 minute reminder. When the reminder popped up my only choices were "Snooze" and "Dismiss" and an incoming call rang the phone.

Thanks for helping.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Do you have to use Cortana to create the appointment in your calendar? I almost always use Outlook on either my work laptop or my home PC to create them. Also, many of them come from responding to invites inside Outlook.

As a test just now, I created a new appt. in Outlook on my home PC that syncs to my Outlook.com personal account and set "Show as:" to busy with a 5 minute reminder. When the reminder popped up my only choices were "Snooze" and "Dismiss" and an incoming call rang the phone.

Thanks for helping.
I almost always use Outlook (the client, not outlook.com) to create appointments. I have Outlook 2013. I've never had alerts during appointments.

Have you done the following?
[h=3]To have Cortana automatically turn on quiet hours at certain times[/h]
  1. Press the Search
    hardware-icon-search-button_InvariantCulture_Default.png
    button to go to Cortana, and then tap Cortana's Notebook
    cortana-notebook-icon_InvariantCulture_Default.png
    > Quiet hours.
  2. Turn on Automatic rules
    basic-icon-toggle-on_InvariantCulture_Default.png
    , and then do any of the following:

Scott Leonard

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Wonderful, thank you so much. I had seen that and started to set it up a while back but didn't notice the calendar event checkbox. This is actually far more sophisticated and useful than the old WinMobile version. WP 8.1 is just getting better and better the more I get to know it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Wonderful, thank you so much. I had seen that and started to set it up a while back but didn't notice the calendar event checkbox. This is actually far more sophisticated and useful than the old WinMobile version. WP 8.1 is just getting better and better the more I get to know it.

You're welcome! 😊

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon