Resuming?

voodoocars

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Is the 'resuming' message and the delay when closing apps just down to the slow processor and small memory on my htc8s? I'm going for a lumia 830 in a few weeks anyway but was just wondering.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Resuming seems to plague devices running Windows.
I've seen it disappear on my phones only to return with certain applications.

Drives me a little crazy...
...learned to live with the resuming thing however.
Seems to be a feature of the Windows for phone operating system.

David Van Ryn

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi there voodoocars,

I am currently using the Lumia 830 and have to report that it (my precious) also exhibits this behavior sometimes.
It is a lot less frequent then on my Lumia 820 and feels a lot quicker, but still it will peek up its ugly face here and there.

No worries though as some of the more powerful phones also have this issue, my bet is that it will eventually be fixed or fundamentally changed in the next build of Windows Phone (WP10).

I said it before, and will repeat it here :), it feel's to me as if we are the beta-testers of Microsoft's baby-steps into the smartphone market. I know they have always been on the mobile side of thing's, but apple and Android just took it to another level. This transformation in look's, feel, usability and most of all appeal to the huge number of already settled smartphone users is a painful and agonizingly slow process.

Now don't get me wrong, i'm neither bashing Microsoft nor am i trying to be a fan-boy here, but we have to be honest and at least recognize that our beloved platform has it's/her flaw's and shortcomings, just as much as the other platforms had when growing up, and in some cases still have.

Personally i feel Microsoft has it right in the "Looks and feel" department of things even with the resuming thingy popping up once in a while.

Functionality can and will be (in my hopeful mind anyway) optimized in the future, and it's not horrible at the moment. Just lacking on small things the other players have figured out a long time ago. The pulling out of the store of some app's, the terrible relationship with Google, the abruptly taking away of the integration of the Social hub, etc.. this was not a very good strategic and consumer friendly move. They need to realize this quickly as i do NOT want to lose this platform. I just love my Windows Phone! :love:

My 2 cents anyways lol

Have a nice day/evening/morning :wink:

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
When an app gets suspended, it uses little to no power (so much so that you don't see any difference between having it suspended and having it closed). The reason you see "Resuming..." so often is because of that.

So would you rather have better battery life, or true multi tasking, because with the power of today's batteries, you can't have both (sadly, batteries have been about the same for a couple decades now, hopefully someone makes a break through soon).

David Van Ryn

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
When an app gets suspended, it uses little to no power (so much so that you don't see any difference between having it suspended and having it closed). The reason you see "Resuming..." so often is because of that.

So would you rather have better battery life, or true multi tasking, because with the power of today's batteries, you can't have both (sadly, batteries have been about the same for a couple decades now, hopefully someone makes a break through soon).

I see where you're coming from and consequently have to agree with your point. But.. hehe alway's a but :amaze: As a consumer u don't want to see this message or anything that slows down the flow of your actions at any time. Yes battery's are due to a major overhaul, please let the whizkid's crunch those numbers for a while,... This means u --> battery company's of the world!! :excited:

The more we complain about seeing this, the greater the chance that MS notices this and at least try to better it in the future.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I also partly agree. But also a few buts'
Batteries are improved but this improvement is translated in smaller battery size because "nobody wants to have a fat phone".
And smartphones are small computers and not supper computers so they always need time to do stuff. And the faster the phones become the bigger the apps will become. Also some computer power is needed for the always increasing ppi. But improvements are always welcome but probably we will never be satisfied.

voodoocars

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
None of my apps are on the sd card. My music and photos are and it it is slow getting music on/off.
I accidentally touched the bing search the other day and it took an eternity to go back to the home page.

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I went from a 920 to an M8, I can say it annoyed me alot on the 920. The M8 never gives the resuming message but does hang a second or two on certain apps occasionally. The native podcast app was always the worst for me and it's better but still shows that developers can do more to ease this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077