Flash Video Support. Windows Phone's Last Chance?

se312

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I've touched on this in another article about Windows 10 and just what is their definintion of "One Windows". Having a serious app shortage is one problem. But, if one can, as I have, get past that problem, there is the limitied video access on the Internet with which to contend.
Those of you on the leading edge of Internet development know that HTML 5 video will replace Flash Video. But, to quote Wikepedia "(HTML 5) has been hampered by lack of agreement as to which video coding formats should be supported in web browsers". In other words, Flash Video is not going to disappear anytime soon. That I am unable to view the same Flash Video on my Nokia 1520 that I can on my PC is a source of constant irritaion.
Full unification between PC, Tablet and Phone means just that, full unification. I am well aware of Adobe's decision to drop it's mobile application for Flash Video and I don't care. If a Windows 10 PC can play Flash Video, a Windows 10 Phone must be able to play the same video. I have seen small Android tablets with a telephone function and a camera function that do play Flash video. They are no larger than my 1520. Microsoft, don't make me leave Windows Phone as well.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I've touched on this in another article about Windows 10 and just what is their definintion of "One Windows". Having a serious app shortage is one problem. But, if one can, as I have, get past that problem, there is the limitied video access on the Internet with which to contend.
Those of you on the leading edge of Internet development know that HTML 5 video will replace Flash Video. But, to quote Wikepedia "(HTML 5) has been hampered by lack of agreement as to which video coding formats should be supported in web browsers". In other words, Flash Video is not going to disappear anytime soon. That I am unable to view the same Flash Video on my Nokia 1520 that I can on my PC is a source of constant irritaion.
Full unification between PC, Tablet and Phone means just that, full unification. I am well aware of Adobe's decision to drop it's mobile application for Flash Video and I don't care. If a Windows 10 PC can play Flash Video, a Windows 10 Phone must be able to play the same video. I have seen small Android tablets with a telephone function and a camera function that do play Flash video. They are no larger than my 1520. Microsoft, don't make me leave Windows Phone as well.
Currently mp4 video is supported in IE, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari, so there is a single video codec for all major browsers. Wikipedia is sadly behind the times in this area. Further, all major desktop browsers still support Flash. It's in the mobile arena where Flash support has disappeared. How can you expect MS to support Flash in the mobile segment when its creator (Adobe) doesn't??

se312

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Well, it's really very simple. If Microsoft says that they want unification across all three platforms, then I expect everything to work on all three platforms. If something won't work on some of the platforms, it's not unification. It is or it's not. A smart phone is a computer. The OS shouldn't care if it's in a telephone, tablet or PC. It should just work. That is why I should be able to expect Flash support in Windows 10 for my 1520.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If Microsoft says that they want unification across all three platforms, then I expect everything to work on all three platforms. If something won't work on some of the platforms, it's not unification.

Microsoft can make everything of Microsoft's work on all three platforms. They cannot, however, force another vendor to support all three platforms. If Adobe chooses to not support Windows on a phone, then it won't be supported; that has nothing to do with operating system unification.

The OS shouldn't care if it's in a telephone, tablet or PC. It should just work.

Wow, you're really missing things here. According to Microsoft, the OS won't care if it's in a phone, tablet, or PC. But Flash is not part of the OS. Flash is not Microsoft's product.

se312

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
This is a software issue. On the contrary, I do not believe that I am missing things here. By means of a "user agent switcher" app, one can view Flash Video websites that will not normally allow themselves to be played on Windows Phone. There is an app for Windows Phone 8 that did just that. Sadly, that app will not work in 8.1. Therefore, if someone "on the street" can develop an app to go around the issue of no Adobe support for moblie phones, then Microsoft can create an OS that will work for playing Flash Video phones, tablets and PC's

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
This is a software issue. On the contrary, I do not believe that I am missing things here.

You are missing one very important thing. These won't actually all be the same OS like you are imagining them to be. We will still have two operating systems, which in some areas will offer a very similar experience, both for developers and users, across phones, tablets, and the immersive environments on laptops and desktops. Last I heard, the areas of similarity won't include flash support.

edit: My point: expecting the "One Windows" slogan to mean everything (including flash support) will be identical across all devices, falls on its face in light of these facts.
According to Microsoft, the OS won't care if it's in a phone, tablet, or PC.

Well, MS has been sending mixed messages. They are trying to have it both ways. To the general consumer they want to convey the idea that it's all one and the same. To investors and developers they are a little more honest. The most recent outbreak of honesty came from Microsoft's CFO Kevin Turner, at the Credit Suisse technology conference, where he admitted that it's more correct to think of them in terms of "one experience", rather than "one OS".

Last edited:

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
This is a software issue. On the contrary, I do not believe that I am missing things here. By means of a "user agent switcher" app, one can view Flash Video websites that will not normally allow themselves to be played on Windows Phone. There is an app for Windows Phone 8 that did just that. Sadly, that app will not work in 8.1. Therefore, if someone "on the street" can develop an app to go around the issue of no Adobe support for moblie phones, then Microsoft can create an OS that will work for playing Flash Video phones, tablets and PC's
You're certainly entitled to your opinion -- even though (for the sake if emphasis) it may part for the time with reality. . .

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
You're certainly entitled to your opinion -- even though (for the sake if emphasis) it may part for the time with reality. . .

Well, if you want to be brutally honest, a lot of the opinions in this forum probably "part for the time with reality..." :amaze:

se312

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
The reality is that if you still have a Windows 8.0 phone, you can view Flash video that you cannot on 8.1 because the user agent switcher app would make the website think that your phone was really another device. Last time I looked, it was still at the Windows Store. With that in mind, there should be no reason why Microsoft could create an OS in which any device could access any website and view all content regardless of platform.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ It's not about what's possible and what isn't. It's about what is reasonable/secure/reliable and what isn't.

Flash has always been a huge security risk. It's been the target of many malware attacks that can fully compromise your computer and Adobe isn't up to fixing that. I understand why people might want Flash, but instead of calling for OS providers to support Flash (who are protecting you), it would be smarter to go after the websites that do not yet provide a responsive website with proper HTML5 support (who should be doing more to protect their users).

Daniel Olsen

May 3, 2013
Visit site
When I look at windows phone 8/8.1, my impression is that Microsoft was attempting to bring in IOS users. With windows 10, I'm hoping that they are going to aim for Android users too by making the OS more open and giving us more freedom. Microsoft is smart, they just take longer to figure stuff out sometimes

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
People still don't realize Microsoft could port Flash for mobile if they desired. Blackberry does it. Adobe doesn't have to be the one to do it.

I'll be curious if WP10, or whatever they call it, supports Flash or not. Since RT supports it and all. I'm assuming WP may run a newer version of what RT is, but that's a guess. I will be annoyed if WP10 doesn't, to be honest.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
People still don't realize Microsoft could port Flash for mobile if they desired. Blackberry does it. Adobe doesn't have to be the one to do it.

I'll be curious if WP10, or whatever they call it, supports Flash or not. Since RT supports it and all. I'm assuming WP may run a newer version of what RT is, but that's a guess. I will be annoyed if WP10 doesn't, to be honest.
No. Everyone realizes that. It just makes no sense. Should it really be the industry laggard, as far as Flash support is concerned, that MS follows down insecurity lane? Haven't we had enough yelling and screaming over security breaches in Windows? You simply can't have a secure system AND Adobe flash support at the same time. MS can't afford a headline reading "WP security compromised, zero-day exploit through Flash". Nobody cares anymore when that happens to Blackberry, but if it happens to MS the blogosphere will be happy to jump all over it. Not a good idea...

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Hasn't Android dropped support for flash with one of the 4.0 builds? Either way. Time for the world to catch up. Flash is leaded fuel, HTML5 is unleaded. Go for the better standard and leave flash to history alongside AOL and dial up modems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven