I really regret getting a windows phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexacore

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello WP community.
I'm here to share with you my story, which revolves around switching from android to windows 8.1.
When i first heard of windows phone i googled it right way and what i saw was a clean and smooth OS and very polished interface, so i was very impressed and i had the urge to switch from LAGdroid to WP and so i did.
I loved it very much at first but after one month of using it, i started to regretting it.
THE APP GAP IS KILLING ME!
I couldn't find apps i use daily on other platforms,even worse the ones tha does exist are super inferior in quality and features compared to their counterparts.
This has driven me crazy as i spent 600$ to get the HTC one for windows.
This is the last time i buy windows phone,
Shame on microsoft and the devs, instagram still BETA after a year really?
I see no future at all for this platform.

dda_k

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Why can't there be like 'wow I'm really happy for switching' topic or something, damnit. I'm tired of all the complains about WP.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Hexacore for your post. It's not like we haven't heard it a hundred times before, though.

Only you really know what you want from your device and since you haven't mentioned which apps are missing, it's difficult to suggest a remedy.

What I will say is that part of the problem may be that your are trying to use your Windows Phone the same way you use an Android, but Windows Phone is different. For a start, there's a lot of function built into the device than you'll get with either iOS or Android, and the integration through Microsoft services enhances both the phone and a PC.

As for apps, you'll have to be more specific. I've never felt any shortfall, but then I'm aware that many apps have more to do with tying you into a particular service than meeting your needs. That Pizza House app is there to make sure you don't try the competition, not to serve your needs. It's very common for companies to use convenience to influence your choices; Google make a mint doing just that.

My suggestion is to be more open minded and get to know your phone, there are many elegant little touches, like you can use Cortana to list all the birthdays you have in the calender by saying 'birthday' and swiping left; you'll see your friends' birthdays listed there. Also, you can pin web pages to the Start screen, so particular services you use are available for your there.

​Good luck.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Is it normal for people to purchase a phone without reading up on it a bit? I always figured people will check out the app availability, before making a platform switch. Maybe I'm weird, but I enjoy researching electronics before I make any purchases :sweaty:

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Is it normal for people to purchase a phone without reading up on it a bit? I always figured people will check out the app availability, before making a platform switch. Maybe I'm weird, but I enjoy researching electronics before I make any purchases :sweaty:

A vast majority of the world will not read up on the electronics they buy. Probably 90% or more.

hexacore

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Ian for this great reply, it cheered me up a little bit and gave me some hope.
The missing apps that i want are YouTube,Snapchat and Instagram with video support.
I know there is a lot of third parties for these apps,but personally i prefer official stuff only.
Yesterday i encountered a problem in the facebook app if you can help me that would be awesome.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Ian for this great reply, it cheered me up a little bit and gave me some hope.
The missing apps that i want are YouTube,Snapchat and Instagram with video support.
I know there is a lot of third parties for these apps,but personally i prefer official stuff only.
Yesterday i encountered a problem in the facebook app if you can help me that would be awesome.

Hi Hexacore, you're welcome. I've became tired of flame wars, so I decided to try a different way. It's nice to know it's appreciated. :)

Have you updated to the latest Facebook app (8.3.4.0)? This might solve your issue, if not then tell uncle Ian.

The You Tube situation is down to Google, who claim that the Windows Phone user base is too small to warrant them developing an app. That they'd say this when there's something like 100,000,000 WP users out there really shows how knobbish Google is to both their competition and their own users who dare to use something else. this goes some way to explain why Google is pretty much a dirty word around here. I personally advise everyone to stop using Google services and delete their Google accounts, but I'm sure most won't and I enjoy access to You Tube as much as everyone else. I use MyTube, which I've found fits my needs and is very good quality.

I don't use Snapchat or Instagram myself, but there is a developer called Rudy Hyun who writes excellent apps that usually have a 6 in the title. I know he does 6snap for Snapchat and 6tag for Instagram. I do recommend this developer, he has a very good reputation and I use his CloudSix for Dropbox client. Incidentally, you can use the search box in the top right to find apps for any specific need.

I'm sure we can make you a lot happier with your device, so that you won't want to go back. :)

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site

Third party apps actually have more features than the official apps. MetroTube is a great youtube app that allows you to download videos and there are no adverts.
As mentioned above, Rudy Huyn is a brilliant developer and 6snap and 6tag are a lot better than the official apps on android.

Last edited:

Keith Brooks

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Basically people complain about Windows Phone. Yet, they didn't do their homework. Yes they read about the o.s. and liked what they saw/read. Yet, they failed to research the app's they want to use. They then complain when they didn't do the correct amount of research, first. The only complaint I've had with Windows Phone is that the maker of Collector won't update their app to fix a bug I found in it. That isn't Microsoft's fault. It's the devlopers of Collector. The bug in it is that when you update your collections in it, the app still show's your collections as being updated how many hours ago, even though they were just updated by you a few minutes ago.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

In some cases this makes sense, in others it makes no sense at all.

IMHO MetroTube is better than even the official YouTube app on Android. If I used Android, MetroTube would make me wonder if I could live with the app gap on Android.

For things like 6snap (I have never used snapchat and never will), it's admittedly a pain, particularly since they started going after 3rd party snapchat clients, without providing an official app for WP.

If you can manage to be a bit more flexible however, you should be okay with WP.
Good luck!

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
When i first heard of windows phone i googled it right way and what i saw was a clean and smooth OS and very polished interface, so i was very impressed and i had the urge to switch from LAGdroid to WP and so i did.
I loved it very much at first but after one month of using it, i started to regretting it.
THE APP GAP IS KILLING ME!
I couldn't find apps i use daily on other platforms
You bought a phone that doesn't have apps you use daily? Did you also buy a Fiat 500 to pull your 10 ton trailer?

Every product isn't a match for every job.

I feel for you but please be more careful about everything you buy, especially things you use everyday.

Life's too short for avoidable, self-inflicted regrets.

Mike Waechter

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
My wife actually uses third party apps "6 apps" and they are for the most part on par with the official apps. I personally use facebook beta though.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Can I ask one simple question. You state you paid $600 for your phone and you are unhappy that you don't have the apps to satisfy you. Why in the HELL didn't you do some research on what was and wasn't available app wise before you made the purchase. I don't feel bad for you at all. You made the mistake of not doing the proper research and then come here complaining. Sell your phone and go back to Android.

I know this is a strong statement but darn, don't people read or ask questions before making a $600 purchase? guess not as often as they should. Read my signature.

stevemind

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Different OS are like Marmite guys! I'm forced to use a droid for work.....but L630s my main. Its a shame that "Apps" rule a system, But we can blame the apple I suppose 😠.....im happy with wp, and that all that matters...Have a great Christmas y'all

chris722

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
You should have bought a cheap phone. I only paid $40 for my 635. That way, if you didn't like it, no biggie because you didn't invest much into it. I didn't pay much for my Android phones either; paid $79 for a Gingerbread and got a ICS for free when I started up with Cricket.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
You bought a phone that doesn't have apps you use daily? Did you also buy a Fiat 500 to pull your 10 ton trailer?

Every product isn't a match for every job.

I feel for you but please be more careful about everything you buy, especially things you use everyday.

Life's too short for avoidable, self-inflicted regrets.

Basically people complain about Windows Phone. Yet, they didn't do their homework. Yes they read about the o.s. and liked what they saw/read. Yet, they failed to research the app's they want to use. They then complain when they didn't do the correct amount of research, first. The only complaint I've had with Windows Phone is that the maker of Collector won't update their app to fix a bug I found in it. That isn't Microsoft's fault. It's the devlopers of Collector. The bug in it is that when you update your collections in it, the app still show's your collections as being updated how many hours ago, even though they were just updated by you a few minutes ago.

@ the risk of piling on, what they ^^^ said. If you didn't do your due diligence, you only have yourself to blame & NO right to complain ...

Last edited:

shishu1

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Everyone's entitled to their opinion but what is this fixation on using just official apps specially when third party apps are better eg 6tag. It simply has everything to offer. And the are 4-5 YouTube apps that have all you could want from a YouTube app. I am a windows fan and I myself agree there is an app gap but I don't count these apps as "missing".

NafcMontana

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Why can't there be like 'wow I'm really happy for switching' topic or something, damnit. I'm tired of all the complains about WP.

I totally agree, Windows is the best OS ive had and I already had iOS, Android and BB. The app gap is a bit of a problem but there always are other unofficial apps that do the same thing and Microsoft is bringing new apps and official apps to Windows Phone every day! Like on my iPhone I liked to play Ruzzle, got a WP, no Ruzzle but SnapAttack, way better then Ruzzle and the Ruzzle app is available now, just like Minecraft, Candy Crush,... The only appz im waiting for is the official Snapchat and an app of my bank (ING BE). Other than that, Windows is the best OS right now and im really happy for switching from iOS to WP!

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
What apps do you need? And if you really googled you should've stumbled on at least one article about the app gap.

I'm sorry you didn't find WP to be pleasant but one should thoroughly research on something you're unaware of before buying it especially if it costs hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

The One M8 for Windows is FINE! Try and fiddle with it a bit and find apps you need and alternatives..

Also, there is more to Windows Phone than apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb