I really regret getting a windows phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveWP55

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I've never had anything except Windows Phone's they are great , yes the app selection isn't the best but i have what i need.

The app store is growing every single day just be patient lol.

The_Vermonster

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Why is everyone so fixated on official apps. Even my wife uses a 3rd party app for instagram on iOS because is offers better functionality. You do realize that the official Youtube app on WP7 was just a wrapper for the mobile site right? There are other youtube apps that do exactly that.

I also am a little dubious of people's ability to search for apps. Example: "I want a youtube app," If you actually search for youtube there are a dozen or so that look exactly like the official one used to look like.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I just like to know why ppl don't do research before they buy something, then complain they don't like it afterward. The most idiotic way of purchasing an item ever!

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Guys, can we lay off the OP or at least try a more constructive approach?

At very least he's open-minded enough to try out WP and is willing to take advice.

It doesn't seem smart to me to complain about WP's poor penetration and the app gap, and then drive off new users who vent their frustrations in our direction. Not everyone is a troll.

pampurio97

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
He's right, *coming from Android*, the app problem is evident. So many big apps have problems (Facebook still behind, Spotify incredibly bad, Deezer sync problems, etc.). If you don't compare apps and you use what you find, maybe you don't notice that.
If you see that a small shop, a bank or a website you're interested in has an app, most of the times the app is not on the WP store. And you can't "try alternatives"..

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Guys, can we lay off the OP or at least try a more constructive approach?.

I'd like to second that (thanks Ian).

So far there is no sign the OP is a troll, so ask yourself:

• what value are you bringing to the conversation if you're doing nothing but repeating what a dozen others have already said.
  • do we as a community really want to be this inhospitable? Sure, these kinds of threads get tiring quickly, but for those creating these threads it's usually their first encounter with WP and with the WCentral community. We don't get a second chance to make a good first impression.

Last edited:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
IMHO MetroTube is better than even the official YouTube app on Android. If I used Android, MetroTube would make me wonder if I could live with the app gap on Android.

This x1000. MetroTube is an example of an app on Windows Phone that actually makes apps on other platforms look inferior.

Wikipedia by Rudy, Tweetium (twitter app), Blue Skies (weather app), Grin (Imgur app), & ReadIt (reddit app), are others that I think are superior to their counterparts on any other platform.

We talk a lot about the "app gap," both in quality and quantity. But we miss the gems that we have on WP8. It's easy to long after that which we can't get while forgetting about the excellent apps that already have. That's why i'm 100% in support of Windows Central's Hidden Gems articles.

Roddie Toney

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I have a youtube app from microsoft I got in Store. Try another. This starting to remind of auto industry way back. They went to Fuel Injection and people refused to buy cause they stated Carburetor was better and Fuel Injection wasn't as reliable. Fast forward now Fuel Injection is the norm and Carburetor is gone. Windows phone is HTML5 and android is flash. Simple Flash is outdated and HTML5 is new.

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I doubt anyone expects the OP to be happy. The OP bought a great phone, but great for others not him/her. And its incredible that someone would buy something without the slightest check to make sure it did what the (s)he needed. It was like buying 18" tires to go on your 17" wheels. There isn't anything wrong with the tires or the wheels; but there's something wrong with the buyer. Someone who does that kind of thing is guaranteed to be unhappy.

I'd be miserable too if I bought an iPhone or Android because I didn't check to see they were a bad match for me.
Im not bashing windows phone, I love it, I love how crappy it is or whatever. But the thing is it doesn't do much, it doesn't do well in some cases, there is not much to explore, and doesn't have that much freedom of Android OS.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Im not bashing windows phone, I love it, I love how crappy it is or whatever. But the thing is it doesn't do much, it doesn't do well in some cases, there is not much to explore, and doesn't have that much freedom of Android OS.
No I get it. You can't appreciate the Windows Phone. I'm the same way with wine. I have friends who appreciate differences I don't notice or don't value as much as them.

Count your blessings that you can be happy with an Android despite its crudeness and lack of elegance. For sure it can do more things. Just like a Unimog compared to an S-Class. Each has its purpose and those who can appreciate them.

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
No I get it. You can't appreciate the Windows Phone. I'm the same way with wine. I have friends who appreciate differences I don't notice or don't value as much as them.

Count your blessings that you can be happy with an Android despite its crudeness and lack of elegance. For sure it can do more things. Just like a Unimog compared to an S-Class. Each has its purpose and those who can appreciate them.
Lol. As far as i could tell windows phone only has simplicity, but elegance? Not really, IOS took that position. And there's thing called cyanogenmod, it has the power of Android, the simplicity of windows phone, and some elegance of IOS. So what's left/especial with WP? Nothing really. But there's more, you can also download a launcher app in android with windows phone skin but much more powerful. Again, not bashing windows phone, I have phones with three rival OSs, and I respect them all, WP is what I prefer to be honest and also my daily driver.

chris722

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I'd like to second that (thanks Ian).

So far there is no sign the OP is a troll, so ask yourself:
a) what value are you bringing to the conversation if you're doing nothing but repeating what a dozen others have already said

b) do we as a community really want to be this inhospitable? Sure, these kinds of threads get tiring quickly, but for those creating these threads it's usually their first encounter with WP and with the WCentral community. We don't get a second chance to make a good first impression.

Great points. Plus this is no different than the thousands of threads on Linux forums from back in the day, IMHO. That got old too, and that community was very arrogant and condescending, depending on what forum you used.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
hexacore said:
The missing apps that i want are YouTube,Snapchat and Instagram with video support.
I know there is a lot of third parties for these apps,but personally i prefer official stuff only.

So, when you use your phone for those apps, is your purpose to post pictures and videos to the Instagram service? To watch videos hosted on the YouTube service? Or is it to use the actual Instagram app? Or the actual YouTube app?

If your purpose is the former - that you want to use and be a part of those services - you should consider dropping your preference for official apps only, especially considering that the third-party apps on Windows Phone for those services offer more features than do the official app. If your purpose is the latter, well, my only advice would be to sell your Windows Phone and get an Android device or an iPhone.

The choice is yours; you can do the things you want to do on Windows Phone if you give the third-party apps a try, or you can continue to gnash your teeth and make rage-gasm posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

udupa1982

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Use 6tag for instagram as its in many ways better than instagram on iOS/android. Look up mytube/metrotube as both are amazing but I personally prefer mytube. I don't use snapchat but 6snap is good also use dropbox client from Rudyhya. If you can wait then wait a you bit and you will see official dropbox app

The_Vermonster

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Guys, can we lay off the OP or at least try a more constructive approach?

At very least he's open-minded enough to try out WP and is willing to take advice.

It doesn't seem smart to me to complain about WP's poor penetration and the app gap, and then drive off new users who vent their frustrations in our direction. Not everyone is a troll.

I think the part that is so frustrating is when people come complaining about the "app gap" and when you suggest all these great WP apps they say, "well, I only use official apps." As if they are discussing tap vs bottled water in Tijuana. This discussion is not about the apps, or the platform, it is about someone that isn't getting exactly what they want, despite the plethora of options.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Hey OP - good news pal - buying a WP is not a life altering decision! Yay! It's not like you quit your job, bought a house, and had a kid all at the same time and now have to live with your decisions.

You bought a smartphone. Use it, and be happy that it is what it is. Can we stop these useless posts?

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Look up mytube/metrotube as both are amazing but I personally prefer mytube.

Yep mytube is the real deal, I can't leave WP because of it, I hate ads in the official app from Google so I don't really care about the official YouTube app if they might ever come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05