12-17-2014 08:37 AM
27 12
tools
    And I have to say - I'm lovin it...

I picked up my first windows phone last December (L1020) after using a succession of iPhones 3,4,4s and a Samsung note 2.

I'm not going to get into a lengthy os feature comparison as each have their pros and cons. However after using (and still have) a number of iPhones I will say, great hardware for every unit I've had - however the os does not do it for me.

It doesn't matter if I pick up an iPhone 4 or iPhone 6 it just feels like a very expensive app launcher - and that's it...

As far as the Apple or Android Apps advantage - for many its exactly what they want, for me not so much.

I am not an App junkie, I don't base my os preferences solely on app availability or the number of funky features available between os versions. Having looked at many of the offerings in Google play and the Apple and Windows store's the vast majority of Apps available are pure junk.What matters much more to me is the complete ecosystem available for the range of devices I use.

Now, my Windows phone

Has it been a completely trouble free experience in the last year - Nope

Like the rest of you I've had a few issues to deal with, battery drain being one of them. However I don't give up at the first sign of problems, especially with an immature os. With research, trial and error and help from this community I've managed to sort out or manage most of the issues I've had.

And the result is a very solid daily driver that I love to use.

And I have to say it - with the level of whining at time's I think we loose site of all of the great things this platform offers, the fact that we can directly participate in the PD program and level of involvement Microsoft has directly with the community.

Keep it up Microsoft - looking forward to the next year.

I'm staying - and I'm Lovin it...
    12-14-2014 11:42 AM
    Unfortunately WP,wm is not immature they've been around for a while now. All will point in specific that " WP" is new but its not. It was just renamed from window mobile which has been around for few years now . So I guess the question become .......is ms where they should be in the mobile field being around this long or not? I say not
    12-14-2014 11:50 AM
    Unfortunately WP,wm is not immature they've been around for a while now. All will point in specific that " WP" is new but its not. It was just renamed from window mobile which has been around for few years now . So I guess the question become .......is ms where they should be in the mobile field being around this long or not? I say not
    WP IS new, Windows Mobile was a completely different OS.
    xandros9, k72, Cryio and 2 others like this.
    12-14-2014 11:57 AM
    I always say the same, I'm here to stay with Windows Phone too :) Can't wait to see how this platform progresses.
    ven07 likes this.
    12-14-2014 11:57 AM
    I am with Wp from past 1.5 years with Lumia 520. I thought to sell and get any android phone but couldn't sell my phone coz I am really in love with the OS. Especially when I can get windows 10 when my phone will be about 2 yrs old. This doesn't happen to any budget phone around any other OS but happen only with windows.
    Keep it up Microsoft.
    aniket19292, danz14, ven07 and 1 others like this.
    12-14-2014 12:01 PM
    Finally, a post like this... Lately everyone has been complaining. I just tell them wait for Windows 10.
    Noahma, k72, tanya shah1 and 3 others like this.
    12-14-2014 12:06 PM
    Same sentiments with MicrosoftRulesAll. Glad the op is happy as I am too
    ven07 and tanya shah1 like this.
    12-14-2014 12:39 PM
    After using android for years, l switched to windows phone in May this year (925 on 3uk). I switched after playing with the 1020 in the 3 shop every time I passed. For the first few hours after opening it, I thought I'd made a big mistake. What the hell had I bought. But here I am, 7 months later loving the wp experience. So much so, my sister, brother-in-law and mother in law are all proud owners of windows phone. I personally have had zero problems with the phone, and can't wait for windows phone 10.
    12-14-2014 12:43 PM
    After using android for years, l switched to windows phone in May this year (925 on 3uk). I switched after playing with the 1020 in the 3 shop every time I passed. For the first few hours after opening it, I thought I'd made a big mistake. What the hell had I bought. But here I am, 7 months later loving the wp experience. So much so, my sister, brother-in-law and mother in law are all proud owners of windows phone. I personally have had zero problems with the phone, and can't wait for windows phone 10.
    Same story for me. Bought it after using the 1020 in German stores. So proud of my Lumia !
    12-14-2014 01:17 PM
    Actually I have a different take on your view point - While I'm sure that MS is not even close to where they want to be in the mobile space yet, I look at Windows Phone as just one element in a range of devices I use across a complete platform, and I say that no other platform i have used even comes close to that experience.
    BobLobIaw likes this.
    12-14-2014 02:31 PM
    Is the power button still working after a year?
    12-14-2014 03:37 PM
    Is the power button still working after a year?
    So far so good. And I would say I'm a pretty heavy user...
    banger696 and ven07 like this.
    12-14-2014 03:47 PM
    My power button is fine after nearly 15mths of heavy use.
    banger696 and ven07 like this.
    12-14-2014 09:39 PM
    Windows mobile was a different OS completely, not even any visual queues were the same.
    Windows phone itself is separated in two.
    Windows phone 7 was built on an older OS kernel
    Windows phone 8 was rebuilt using the more modern kernel
    so looking at this all Windows phone 8 is only two years old, which is relatively new compared to other mobile OS's.
    12-14-2014 11:50 PM
    Windows Phone for me it's like Love that hurts you sometimes, but you keep going back to it.
    kumar_rajan5000 likes this.
    12-14-2014 11:58 PM
    I now believe wp is extension of windows a device that integrate with my windows 8.1.i don't use apps that much except for fb .So wp is good device.Hoping MS would not kill wp.
    From Windows phone
    12-15-2014 04:41 AM
    Windows 10 is carrying on the wp legacy!
    12-15-2014 04:44 AM
    Windows mobile was a different OS completely, not even any visual queues were the same.
    Windows phone itself is separated in two.
    Windows phone 7 was built on an older OS kernel
    Windows phone 8 was rebuilt using the more modern kernel
    so looking at this all Windows phone 8 is only two years old, which is relatively new compared to other mobile OS's.
    Put it how you like .....im referring to the amount of time ms has been in the mobile arena! Long enough actually longer than apple and android . So what's the excuse ? Whether it be wm,WP what ever ...we should be number one. And to think well take over sounds kinda funny and that sucks because I kinda like wp
    12-15-2014 06:24 AM
    like I have other option... windows is the only one, and now that I think about it, Microsoft is being stupid here, if they made all their products run poorly on other OSes they can make a few users switch, if there is people willing to ditch wp because of no google support, there should be people willing to do the same on android, it used to be that way at first a lot of people I knew hated android because there was no windows live messenger(jeez now how cool is that)
    12-15-2014 05:14 PM
    So far so good. And I would say I'm a pretty heavy user...
    Good to hear, my 530 lock button gets quite a bit of use I have noticed, and I bought a spare 530 just in case, although it has a 2 year warranty from my provider.
    ven07 likes this.
    12-15-2014 07:25 PM
    Traveling with my daughter right now and playing with her iPhone. Ish, boring. Not the miracle phone I was expecting. Gives me a new appreciation for WP. Verizon still sucks though.
    12-16-2014 12:36 AM
    i feel here in Australia MS either ignore us or don't care i love WP8.1 and i love my xbox,asus T100 and my 1320 i love how they all connect and work easily ill admit it ive become a bit of a MS fanboy but only to the point for me they are great doesn't mean it will be great for everyone.
    cant wait to get my hands on a 535
    12-16-2014 05:09 AM
    i too have crossed a year i think just few mouths back..still the same love when i had bought it
    i change the wallpaper and the arrangement of the titles often.. and it just feels refreshing every time i do. just amazing!
    12-16-2014 06:03 AM
    I think I'm at the 2.5 year mark. There have been a few UPS and downs, but all in all, I think it's still the best phone OS since the fall of webOS. Also, very happy that Xbox live support seems to be making a comeback to WP gaming.

Really looking forward to Windows 10, just wish it was closer than the end of next year.
    Muessig likes this.
    12-16-2014 10:12 AM
    So what's the excuse ? Whether it be wm,WP what ever ...we should be number one.
    Baggage, that's the reason.

The names Microsoft and Windows carry a lot of bad baggage. Security issues, malware, viruses, poor coding, bloat, an OS that slows down the more you use it, programs that leave files all over the place after uninstalling, registry errors, terrible internet browser...

People believe - I was one of them - who think that all the bad points of desktop Windows are carried over to Windows Phone. And Microsoft is doing nothing to educate them otherwise. Why the silence? If MS would come out and demonstrate that Windows Phone is free of that baggage, then perhaps people would be more willing to buy the phones.

Maybe.

But MS is probably in a catch 22 situation. Say nothing, and people wonder why the silence; if MS speaks, people will wonder why, if the phones are so good, does MS try so hard to suggest otherwise.

I think MS, under the new CEO, is beginning to turn over a new leaf. Open sourcing code, giving development tools away for free... it show MS may have learned from its previous 'evil' ways (FUD; embrace, extend, exterminate...) Time will tell.
    12-16-2014 11:41 AM
27 12