Inner Circle

Scott Leonard

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm part of the IT dept. at work and we use a product called WhatsUp Gold to monitor systems and network devices and alert us when something goes down. When something does go down WUG sends an email to the sms gateway of my carrier and I get a text message on my phone. The text message has the email address of the WUG server as the sender.

I have set up quiet hours and an inner circle that can get through but I can't add the WhatUp server to my inner circle as it only allows contacts not simply an email address. I tried creating a contact that had the email address but inner circle still will not let me add it because there is no phone number associated with it. I guess I could add a bogus phone number to the WhatsUp contact but I suspect that will only allow the server to get through if it uses the phone number to call or text me and, as I said, texts show up as coming from an email address instead.

As I think about this I realize that my girlfriend who doesn't have a cell phone and also uses the email to sms gateway to send me texts is also in the same boat.

Does anyone have a solution or is this a feature request at the official site?

Hypnopottamus

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Just a thought. Maybe try setting things up such that when something goes down, have WUG send an email to your email account. From there, you can create a filter that instructs when you receive an email from WUG, it will text it to you. Thus, all you have to do is set up a "bogus" contact with that email account, and associate it with your phone number. From there, you can add your "bogus" contact (ie...YOU) to Inner Circle.

Here is an article how to set up sending an email via SMS (pay particular attention to section 3: Text yourself via email):
How Can I Send an Email via Text Message?

I hope this makes sense what I'm saying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon